shape
carat
color
clarity

How old were you...

tammy77|1339387093|3213530 said:
First marriage I was 21, he was 22 and we knew each other a short 6-8 months beforehand. It lasted a very long and unhealthy 10 yrs. Second marriage at 34 for me, 30 for DH and we knew each other for about 3 yrs before marrying. We're celebrating our 1st anniversary in about 2 weeks! :bigsmile:

I never would have married the first guy if I had been my "older, wiser" self. I also feel like my DH and I absolutely needed to get through our early 20's. There's no way we would have been compatible if we met earlier!

I met hubs when he was 26.. and let me tell you, there is NO WAY I would've dated him before that. He was still a PIA until 30 ;-) But no really, I hear stories about the dumb stuff that he has done and I remind him it's a good thing I met him then!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I was 23 and he was 37...we are newbies so in October, it will be one year. This July we will have been together five years. Nice to see so many long marriages!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with precious posters, it is nice to hear about so many long, happy marriages that have went through struggles and made it out the other side together. It is definitely inspiring, especially with so many quick marriages and equally quick divorces these days. That is not to say that marriages that ended are failures, not it at all. If two people aren't compatible anymore, then they should go their separate ways and be happy!

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
I was 21 and my husband 23 when we got married, we had been together for 5 years (we met at school). We will be celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary in September and have 3 beautiful children. In hindsight we were very young but we wanted to start our life together. We are best friends as well as husband and wife, we have gone through some very hard times together (deaths in the family, living overseas for work etc.) and it has only made us stronger.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1339389651|3213550 said:
tammy77|1339387093|3213530 said:
First marriage I was 21, he was 22 and we knew each other a short 6-8 months beforehand. It lasted a very long and unhealthy 10 yrs. Second marriage at 34 for me, 30 for DH and we knew each other for about 3 yrs before marrying. We're celebrating our 1st anniversary in about 2 weeks! :bigsmile:

I never would have married the first guy if I had been my "older, wiser" self. I also feel like my DH and I absolutely needed to get through our early 20's. There's no way we would have been compatible if we met earlier!

I met hubs when he was 26.. and let me tell you, there is NO WAY I would've dated him before that. He was still a PIA until 30 ;-) But no really, I hear stories about the dumb stuff that he has done and I remind him it's a good thing I met him then!

My husband and I definitely wouldn't have been compatible if we had met a lot earlier than we did. If we had met in high school or even in our 20s, we wouldn't have given each other the time of day.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
blackberry16|1339379546|3213472 said:
We were both 22 and had only known each other for 3 months when we got engaged and 8 months when we got married. That was eight years and one baby ago so I guess we are doing pretty well!

Congratulations blackberry, I sometimes think that when 'you know,you know'.

My hubby and I married when I was 34 and he was 45, both for the first time. We met in early April 06, were engaged by the October and married the following February. 10mths from first meet to married.
5 lovely years later and we have a two year old and a bub due in October and I love every minute of our marriage....well at least a good 98% of em!
Previously I was in almost back to back long term relationships, 3yrs, 5yrs, 4yrs etc, a couple that ended because I wouldn't marry them.
They all seemed perfect 'on paper', but something just felt like they weren't 'the one'.
When I met my hubby everything just felt right and when he joked at week two that he hoped he would marry me I didn't doubt for a second that he would.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
We were both 24 when we got married and have been married 2 1/2 years so far and together for 11. Looking back I can't believe how young we were when we got married! DH and I both think that we took a risk getting married so young but so far the risk is working out and we are very happy together :love: . If I had to do it all over again though I would probably have waited a few more years and would encourage others to do the same. This is due to how much we have grown as individuals the past few years, we are lucky and have grown together and remained compatible but I can see how that could very easily not be the case for everyone.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
We met at 27 and got married at 29. Married 4 years now. Definitely feel lucky to have found him!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I was 23 and he was 22. We dated for exactly a year and a month before we got married. We are celebrating 12 years next month, and are still crazy in love :love:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I was 22 the first time I got married. He was 21. It lasted 13 months. I was 32 the 2nd time, and hubby was 25...11 years and going strong! :appl:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am atypical. In my 20s I was focused on college, law school, career. In my 30s I was enjoying myself and I loved being single. I didn't even want anybody to spend the night, let alone live with me. By way of background I should mention that my mom and dad married young and my mom never seemed happy as a sahm and I think that influenced my decisions. In retrospect I think I was afraid of becoming my mom.

I met DH when I was 38 and he was 47. He married his high school sweetheart and she died of breast cancer at 36. He married again 18 months later and quickly divorced. We married when I was 41 and he was 50 and have been married 18 years. I inherited two terrific stepchildren and I have four fantastic grandkids, so it's been a very life-enriching experience. Maybe it was all those years of divorcing people, but I wasn't ready for marriage any earlier. I am in awe of folks who married in their 20s.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
KSinger....I don't why I never knew that story! AWESOME story!!

I was married at 20 and it lasted less than a year. I just wanted the same last name as my daughter. On paper we were still married until just a couple of years ago.

I never remarried. I don't know that I ever will. But if so, it will be "old-married" for sure.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were 23 and will celebrate our 23rd anniversary later this month. I just realized that we've spend half our lives married to each other. So far, so good then, right? :twirl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This was a fun thread to read! I agree that it's great to see so many long marriages!

When married, I was 26 and DH was 28. But we've been together since I was 18, so this year will be 13 years together.

In many ways it does feel like D and I grew up together. But in all honesty, I spent my young twenties focused on school and then my career. I needed to be more selfish at that age and couldn't really put my relationship first. We made it, but it's MUCH easier to make our relationship a priority in our 30s than it was in our 20s.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First marriage I was 18 and he was 23 and it lasted 22 yrs. We grew in vastly different directions during that time. Second marriage, we dated for 12 yrs before I would even let him utter the word "marriage" and then had a 3 yr engagement. So, 15 yrs of a trial period wherein we worked out all the kinks and we'll be married 6 yrs this August.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1339461074|3214152 said:
I met DH when I was 38 and he was 47. ... We married when I was 41 and he was 50 and have been married 18 years. I inherited two terrific stepchildren and I have four fantastic grandkids, so it's been a very life-enriching experience. Maybe it was all those years of divorcing people, but I wasn't ready for marriage any earlier. I am in awe of folks who married in their 20s.

This comment is irrelevant to the thread as a whole, but I find it amazing that you are nearly my age, lulu. I have been reading your postings for a while and thought I was aware of "who you were", but the woman I was envisioning was an attorney in, perhaps, her thirties. Very up and coming!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I'm an old broad, Deb, and proud of it. Being a grandma is the best job ever!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been hesitant to reply to this thread but here goes: I was 26 when I first married (he was 33). We lasted somewhere around 5 years. Terribly unhealthy relationship and I don't think it had much to do with age. I recently married again at 34, we have just had our first child and it is a complete 180 from my previous marriage. Every day is happier than the last and it is indescribably wonderful. Thank goodness for second chances in life.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I was 26 he was 25. We are still married. (I'm 31)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
miraclesrule|1339462463|3214168 said:
KSinger....I don't why I never knew that story! AWESOME story!!

I was married at 20 and it lasted less than a year. I just wanted the same last name as my daughter. On paper we were still married until just a couple of years ago.

I never remarried. I don't know that I ever will. But if so, it will be "old-married" for sure.

Yeah, it usually gets a "wow!" A great ice-breaker at parties. ;)) Needless to say, we're not really sure how long we've been married. Four years officially, but really...who knows. We BOTH forgot our anniversary this year....pretty much like an old couple might. We got a pretty big laugh out of it. Both of us went...uh...OOPS. ;))

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Both 29 (after dating since we were 19). Coming up on 2 years married now.... !

Congrats to the couples in long marriages still going strong!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
In 5.5 weeks I will be a first time bride at 32. We've lived together for over three years now and been together for over 3.5. My first time groom is 25 :naughty:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I was 26 and He was 26 as well :) We got married (on paper) on our 2 year anniversary and were engaged for 6 months at the time. We plan on having a ceremony/reception next March/April. He is absolutely the best thing that has ever happened to me and I cannot imagine my life without him.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was 27, dh was 28 when we got married. Will be 12 years this September.....not always happily married, but life has it's ups and downs right?

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
First marriage: i'm was 21, he was 25. Lasted for 8 years (should have lasted less than a year).
Second marriage: i was 34, he was 30. 3 year anniversary in two weeks (and we dated/lived together for a 5 years prior to getting married). What can I say, best eight years of my life!!!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
The first time I was 20 and he was 26 - it lasted 12 years.
The second time i was almost 45 and he was almost 40 - it will be 8 years in September and I still feel like a newlywed! The first time around by this point in our marriage we had been to marriage counselling for two rounds!
For some it is ok to marry so young but the key is the marry the right person.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
1st time: 19

final time: 31--so far so good

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
aussiemel|1339396357|3213584 said:
I was 21 and my husband 23 when we got married, we had been together for 5 years (we met at school). We will be celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary in September and have 3 beautiful children.

Same here, except that we'll have our 17th anniversary in July. In some ways, we grew up together.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
26 and No it did not last

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 24, and he was 22. We dated for 3 years before marriage, and have been married for 6 years. We are currently separated and barely spoke for 6 months. It's the best thing that I've ever done for myself, and potentially for my marriage. I grew up a lot and became more independent, and it appears that he did as well. We're seeing each other again, and we'll see how it goes. I don't think of us is in a rush at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results