carat
color
clarity

How old were you...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you got married? Did it last?

Thinking about the odds of Miley Cyrus staying married long.

My answer: 21, he was 24. Been married 32 years.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was 19 the first time I got married. We separated when I was 24.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 24, he was 26 - and today is our 28th anniversary!

It's funny though - my daughter is 23 and has no plans to get married anytime soon, and I'm actually kinda happy about that - I don't know, I just think it's good for her to be on her own for a while - marrying young worked out ok for me, but sometimes I feel I didn't have enough time on my own to develop more of a feeling of independence and accomplishment.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary Junebug!! congratulations on your long and successful marriage!
I was 26, he was 1 week away from being 25 and in 2 weeks, we'll be married 27 years. So superior math skills highlight that I am now 43 and he's approaching 52! :twisted: Yup. That's the truth.... :loopy:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 29, it lasted 16 years. I am so impressed with those who marry young and have healthy marriages. I don't think mine was ever healthy...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got married at 24 (engaged at 21). We have been married 12 years this past April :appl: Happy Anniversary Junebug :wavey:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I was 25, he was 23... We've been married four years so far. He is in the military, though, and for a military couple, we were actually "old" to be getting married at that age!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Anniversary, Junebug! :appl:

I was 18 and my husband was 22. We've been married for 28 years. He's my best friend and we love to hang out together. I still feel the same way about him that I did when I first met him. I'm still crazy, head over heels, heart all jumpy, in love with him! :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the anniversary wishes everyone! I just realized what I wrote sounded a little weird - just want to clarify I've been happily married all these years!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're very boring people. We were 21 and almost 24, and next year is our 30th anniversary. It was not all smooth sailing. It still isn't all smooth sailing. We are extremely close with our two daughters and we have no family living anywhere nearby. Lots of obstacles can make or break a marriage.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Re: How old were you...aqqqrxf,njzjjfbcghlffhhj

When we got married, I was 19 and DH was 27. We have been married for 4 years, been together for 6 years, and known each other for 7.

Eta-We are military too(obviously from my screen name, haha) and I completely agree with sonnyjane, military marry young. It was normal at our military base for 17, 18, 19 year olds to be getting married.

And Happy Anniversay, Junebug! :appl:

melave

Shiny_Rock
Happy anniversary Junebug and congrats!! :appl:

Enerchi|1339291791|3212883 said:
I was 26, he was 1 week away from being 25 and in 2 weeks, we'll be married 27 years. So superior math skills highlight that I am now 43 and he's approaching 52! :twisted: Yup. That's the truth.... :loopy:

Love your maths Enerchi!! That cracked me up :D :D

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got engaged when I was 23 married at 24. Just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary...

Congrats to you!!!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was 20 he was 21, we'll celebrate 14 years in August. :D My sister just got married on Thurs so it's been fun thinking back about ours and seeing how far we've come. :D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, thanks armywife and melave, you're both so nice!

And thank you Lisa, and congrats to you on your 25th! :appl: Such a wonderful milestone!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 27, he was 31. We've been together for 5 years, married for 3.5. We're very happy. :)

I was engaged once before at 22, and he and I never made it down the aisle (fortunately!)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary, Junebug!

I was 26 when I finally said yes to SO and moved in with him. We've been together 18 years.

The odds of Miley being married long are not good.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Anniversary, junebug! Now on to the question phase!

How old were we when we got married? We were both 26. I had just had my 26th birthday.

Did it last? I think one would say so, since we passed many milestones like out 25th and 30th anniversaries without having split up. We are now at 35 years and, although still legally married, we are not living together anymore. So it didn't last forever. There was one big stressor in recent years that made the marriage come apart, but it had some real problems in it from the very beginning.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, lots of long marriages here! :appl: We got married when we were both 21 and have been married 35 years! I am similar to Enerchi except I am only 39! :lol: I celebrate 39 every birthday now!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I was 23 and my husband was 24. We've been together for over 16 years and married for almost 14.5 years. The time has flown by!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was 27 and he was 30 and we've been married for almost 3 years.

But we've been together since I was 21 and he was 24, so it'll be our 10 year anniversary of being together next year...which means I've been with him for 1/3 of my life! :-o Kinda crazy when I think of it like that!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I was 28 and DH was 29. We just celebrated our 1 year anniversary this past week :appl: We've been together a total of 7 years though.

I really don't have much confidence that Miley's marriage will last, but not necessarily because they are young, but because they are celebrities. So few of them seem to actually work out for the long haul... But hopefully they prove me wrong!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy anniversary, Junebug!

I was 27 and DH was 38 when we married. We'll be married four years this July, and we've been together for eight years.

My parents were both 21 when they married. They started dating at age 13. Their marriage lasted 27 years before they divorced.

My paternal grandparents were 19 (grandmother) and 20 when they married. Their marriage lasted 55 years before they divorced. :-o

My maternal grandparents were 28 (grandmother) and 35 when they married. They were married for 27 years when my grandfather died unexpectedly of a heart attack at age 62. My grandmother was widowed at 55 and never remarried or dated after my grandfather passed away. She lived to age 86.

DH's parents were 21 when they married. They were married for 38 years when DH's mom died unexpectedly from complications caused by hospital error at age 59.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I just got married on the 26th of May! I'm 23 (not for long though- my 24th birthday is next Friday) and my DH is 26. I never EVER thought I would get married so young, but we've been together for nearly 5 years now and we moved in together after 3 months of dating -I've always done things a little earlier than my peers and when I met him we both knew that we would get married one day. My father has been married 4 times so I know that marriage isn't something that lasts forever if you don't work at it and I don't feel too young to be married at all -in the past 5 years we have been through many things together and I know he is my rock.

Happy Anniversary Junebug!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339301139|3212989 said:
Oh wow, lots of long marriages here! :appl: We got married when we were both 21 and have been married 35 years! I am similar to Enerchi except I am only 39! :lol: I celebrate 39 every birthday now!
We "young uns" have to stick together DS - I think we must be are our DH's "trophy wives", since they are now married to much younger women!!! :lol:

Weird thing is, my kids are starting to catch up to my ... (newer)... age!

Asu

Shiny_Rock
We were both 21,turning 22 in the first few months after the wedding.We have been married 5 years (next saturday :cheeky: ),together for almost 9.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
19 been married 21 years. Together since age 17. I think when you marry young, you kind of grow up together. That might also be why some young marriages don't last because you aren't really grown up yet. Marriage is a lot of hard work and selflessness, some people don't realize that. I think getting married later in life would be even harder because by then you're set in your ways and a little more stubborn.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 23 and he was 28 we have been married 28 years, it been a rough 28 years :wacko: will we last forever...I doubt it....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty|1339332170|3213065 said:
19 been married 21 years. Together since age 17. I think when you marry young, you kind of grow up together. That might also be why some young marriages don't last because you aren't really grown up yet. Marriage is a lot of hard work and selflessness, some people don't realize that. I think getting married later in life would be even harder because by then you're set in your ways and a little more stubborn.

Say rather, you know yourself, your boundaries, and how to ask for and how to GIVE space.

I've told my story before on here, and to many others. We STILL haven't met anyone who can beat it. (Not that anyone should try - most of the responses are pretty incredulous. Our way is not for the faint of heart, or those who are dead-set on kids. We gained some things by doing it this way, but we passed up some things too. So...do NOT try this at home!) ;))

Met at 16, dated from 18-23, broke up for 11 years (and periodically ran into one another at parties, concerts, cat shows, etc), during which time we both married other people, divorced those other people the very same month, met by accident one evening that month at the lake whilst getting ready to go sailing, got BACK together for 1 year, broke up again for 8 years(during which time mutual friends always kept each of us casually informed of the other's status: still living, not married, job status, etc; understand, we lived about 1 mile apart during that time), got a heartfelt apology letter at the 5 year mark (of the 8 ), forgave him instantly, emailed him at the 6.5 year mark, emailed casually for about a year, until we both decided it was maybe time to go out to dinner as old friends. Pretended for about 6 months that we could BE just friends, (while our friends sniggered behind our backs), we finally admitted that THAT wasn't going to happen, and within about 3 weeks it was assumed that we were marrying (no romantic proposals for us, we were just so relieved to be back together that it was assumed). Waited one year, (logistics and family issues) and decided to try to get divorced before we actually married by remodeling my kitchen. (Or that's what we tell people. ;-) Flew through that without a hitch.

So, we got married 28 years after we started dating the first time, and while everyone goes on about hard work, I can honestly say it's been the easiest relationship I've ever had, and that includes blood relatives and old loves and old friends. It fits like a comfy slipper. And we ARE stubborn and set in our ways. The difference is we aren't selfish and buttheaded about it. And both our egos got seriously whittled by the previous marriages and by time and seasoning. Those things that seemed to be worth battling about in your 20's and 30's were no longer as important. He no longer expects me to DO everything he does, and I wouldn't do it anymore anyway, and he's happy I have my own interests, and we developed converging interests in the stretches we were apart. We actually grew towards each other rather than away, and we worked out our "issues" on other people, so that when we tried marriage a second time we both knew the pitfalls. More than one friend has observed that we went straight to "old married" before we actually married. One complained about it (kiddingly), and said, "It's not fair, you guys got to go straight to old-married." Others (some of his friends) kept going on at how quickly we got married. In both instances we were like, "It only seems that way, believe me, it wasn't quick at all, and we earned the old-married."

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We met in Oct. '03. I was a week away from turning 30 and my husband was 31.

We got married in July '08. I was 34 and my husband was 36. By the time we got married, most of our friends had been married for years already and most of them had young children. I think we're just late bloomers. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results