shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on emerald-cut images, please

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Hello -
I am looking for a high-color, small-ish emerald-cut. I want to set it in a simple bezel so I can stack it with other gemstone rings I own. I want a bright stone that won't look dull when set in a bezel. I like square-ish emerald-cuts. I'm considering this diamond from James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Very Good-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1384345.asp. Here are the ASET image and scan for the stone. It is a 2B on the cut calculator. Could I get your opinions on this stone please? Thank you very much.

1384345aset.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think this look quite good for an emerald cut. I'm not an expert and there are a few step cut pros around, so I would wait to get their opinion, but I think it looks good. =) It has a larger table than I prefer but I have learned that you can't really judge a step cut by their numbers. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It does have a large table but that can be ok. What worries me is 1) crown height on lower end and especially 2) extremely thin areas of girdle. These combined, I would pass.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not loving it. But that's because it's not my personal preference for emeralds in terms of appearance. The table is larger than I like, the faceting not as precise and the crown height is lower than what I consider desirable. But the ASET does show decent performance, so if you like the look of it then that's what matters.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your opinions, Gypsy, Shimmer, and Christina. I've read a lot of threads on reading ASETS for step cuts and this ASET looked pretty good to me. It's good to know I've learned something from all my research, lol. The table is a bit larger than I'd like, too. But the selection of square-ish emerald-cuts in this size range and in the D-E-F color range is really limited, and has been for several months. Good light return is my biggest requirement for this diamond because of the bezel. The small culet and the proportions of this stone remind me of this antique diamond that I saw locally, and started a thread about https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ntique-square-cut-with-only-30-facets.167303/ The store would not negotiate on price and there was no GIA report with the diamond. I was thinking I should pay them a visit and see if the stone is still there.

I will ask JA about the extremely thin girdle and the crown height. The crown height barely makes it into the parameters suggested here and in other sources I've read on EC's. I agree that the extremely thin girdle is worrisome.

Gypsy, can you tell me a little more about what you're seeing with the faceting? Do you mean that the steps don't appear to be the same size?

Thank you :wavey:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I missed the extremely thin girdle part. I know that you're having it evaluated by JA's gemologist so I'd ask how much of the girdle is extremely thin and where. If it isn't on the corners and you are planning on putting the stone in a bezel then maybe it would be ok? I'm not sure of the risk while setting, but it would seem that once set it would be nice and protected. You'd also have to consider what you may like to do with the stone in the future should you decide to re set it. The girdle would limit your options again.

Have you thought about contacting GOG to see if they could locate something for you? They had a couple options on their site, but yours look like a better performer.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are right, the ASET image does look good for an EC. If you are setting it in a bezel I wouldn't worry so much about the ex-thin girdle so this would be a good option. Just be sure the stone is insured during setting! What mount are you thinking of?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results