shape
carat
color
clarity

Side Stones for grey silver violet spinel.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Mike R- Thank you for finally putting me out of my misery! I spent like two hours this afternoon searching for that ring! I knew I had seen it before, I thought it was a Spectrum award winner so I looked through the 2011 and 2012 winners hoping I would find you. After about 2 hours I gave up.
Let me just start with this, I am totally obsessed with your website and FB page. I have studied your work and it truly is amazing. Where were you trained? Did your dad teach you? Does your brother make jewelry too? Your have a total sense of whimsy and it shows in your pieces. The pirate pendants are awesome. The little crab worked into the backside of the seahorse pendant is brilliant. Are the little bee pendants inspired by your dads work at Chaumet? Your gouache's are reminiscent of Boucheron and all the great old Parisian houses of design. I've watched all your videos. I cannot figure out how you do the beveled cuts on some of your pendants to accept stones because I don't see a flex shaft on your bench. Do you only use an arc welder? I guess I could go on and on, but you get the point.

When can I send you my stones? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Treenbean|1329886853|3131481 said:
Mike R- Thank you for finally putting me out of my misery! I spent like two hours this afternoon searching for that ring! I knew I had seen it before, I thought it was a Spectrum award winner so I looked through the 2011 and 2012 winners hoping I would find you. After about 2 hours I gave up.
Let me just start with this, I am totally obsessed with your website and FB page. I have studied your work and it truly is amazing. Where were you trained? Did your dad teach you? Does your brother make jewelry too? Your have a total sense of whimsy and it shows in your pieces. The pirate pendants are awesome. The little crab worked into the backside of the seahorse pendant is brilliant. Are the little bee pendants inspired by your dads work at Chaumet? Your gouache's are reminiscent of Boucheron and all the great old Parisian houses of design. I've watched all your videos. I cannot figure out how you do the beveled cuts on some of your pendants to accept stones because I don't see a flex shaft on your bench. Do you only use an arc welder? I guess I could go on and on, but you get the point.

When can I send you my stones? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Sorry to get you spending so much time looking for me, I'm pleased you enjoy my pieces and renderings.

I feel sort of bad to derail your thread but but because you asked I'll answer your questions.
I am mostly self thought, I grew up in my Dads jewellery workshop from about the age of four, my childhood was like most kids only I was playing with real hammers. I have a huge collection of coffee table jewellery books and I do my best to replicate the craftsmanship of great antique pieces.

Yes my identical twin brother also makes jewellery in the same workshop as me, he also does our website.

Yes I have always liked the Chaumet bee pieces, as well as Victorian bee jewels.

Thanks for your comments about my renderings, I have only been doing them for the last few years, I actually learned how to do them by studying old Boucheron and Cartier readings in books.

I don't use a flex shaft, I use a micro motor like dentists use because they give you greater freedom, the flex shaft feels so clumsy with the weight of the shaft. You can see the micro motor in the workshop pic on FB, it's blue.

I don't use an arc or laser welder just good old fashioned solder.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure it's going to look amazing and thanks again for the kind comments about my work.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
No problem about threat derailment. Thanks for answering my questions I am a nerd! Didn't mean to put you on the spot I am just very excited to talk to you.

Will the black rhodium ever wear off?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Treenbean|1329890979|3131518 said:
No problem about threat derailment. Thanks for answering my questions I am a nerd! Didn't mean to put you on the spot I am just very excited to talk to you.

Will the black rhodium ever wear off?

That's great, I'm happy to answer any questions about anything to do with jewellery, design or jewellery making. If you have any other off topic questions about things you could start another thread in hangout or something, I would be happy to answer any questions people might have.

Yes the black rhodium does wear, I actually think it looks better when it is worn a little, it ends up looking like the finish you get on antique silver topped gold pieces because it only wears on the high spots. It really gives the piece great depth and a softer character.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know. I wouldn't want to have to replate it.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Another thought if you are looking for something a little different, I'm not sure of the size of the Spinel or how much room you have on your finger but, how about doing the three stones up and down your finger rather than the traditional across your finger layout.

I would think all claws would work best with this style, if it was an occasional ring three claws on each AVC would look great. Two claws one on each inside corner tucked in close to the Spinel and then just a single claw centered on the outside exposing the outside cushion shaped corners.(for an everyday ring the 3claws might night be the best idea)

Running the three stones up and down your finger will give the piece a very unique vintage feel. As a bonus I think this style will really show the AVC's at their best because their tables can be parallel to the spinels table, rather than them being angled down like in a traditional three stone ring. It would look great with a single or a split shank, maybe with some pave if your budget will allow.

Just a thought, I still think the other classic bezel claw combo would look great too.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
They look lovely Treen bean but can we pleeeese have some pics on a lighter background? Grey on black doesn't do them any favours methinks and I for one would like to see their full glory ;))

A picture of the grey and the two AVCs on your hand would also be great!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Mike R- you have GREAT ideas!
Starzin- Crack the whip! No hand shots but I tried some on a lighter background

spinelthu.jpg

spinelthu1.jpg

spinelthu2.jpg

spinelthu3.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful stones! I think for me, i'd still prefer the E/W 3 stone setting, not the N/S the length of your finger. Those stones just glisten! The black rhodium idea Mike had was amazing! That's got my interest piqued - and the claws... LOVE the claws.... :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
but if you do a google image seach for "tiffany lucida three stone ring" you will find a claw bezel combo. Their vesion is a little chunky and the look can be much prettier than this.

I really like this idea too (rather than the N-S).

Good to see you here Mike, I have followed a couple of your creations posted by PSers. Though I remember deciphering your tag once before, I'd forgotten. Perhaps you wouldn't have been such a mystery man if you'd put a bit of one of your drawings in your avatar :naughty:

Treenbean: I think LM has a paraiba halo ring with oxidization on his website (don't have a link sorry) which would give you an overview.

:naughty: Sorreeee :D But thank you! The colours are a LOT clearer and should look stunning set.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
No problem Star, I was just giving you a gentle nudge. The photos did turn out better. But I like my artistic dark side hehe. I will Check out Leon's site, thanks.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!! Those sides look so nice with all your stones, but I think you chose the best match for it.

I really like the NS idea, but I think you'll get a lot more wear out of the ring if you go more traditional EW. Depends how adventurous you want to be!! I would love to see oxidized pave around those AVCs though... but more of an antique-y feeling like Mike R has suggested as opposed to the solid-black that Leon used in the ring Starzin mentioned.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Starzin|1330059447|3133073 said:
but if you do a google image seach for "tiffany lucida three stone ring" you will find a claw bezel combo. Their vesion is a little chunky and the look can be much prettier than this.

I really like this idea too (rather than the N-S).

Good to see you here Mike, I have followed a couple of your creations posted by PSers. Though I remember deciphering your tag once before, I'd forgotten. Perhaps you wouldn't have been such a mystery man if you'd put a bit of one of your drawings in your avatar :naughty:

Treenbean: I think LM has a paraiba halo ring with oxidization on his website (don't have a link sorry) which would give you an overview.

:naughty: Sorreeee :D But thank you! The colours are a LOT clearer and should look stunning set.

Thanks for the welcome Starzin, I have been wanting to change my profile picture but I can't figure out how at the moment.

Great new pictures Treenbean =)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome Mike...I just did a search and found Skippy's instructions which I was able to follow so hope they help you :))
Unread post by Skippy » 10 Jan 2012 09:04
yes, on the far right tab (My Pages) choose My Account, then click Edit (another tab), then below the Edit tab is a row of tabs, click user profile and then halfway down where you upload your avatar

then choose your file, click upload and then hit submit on the bottom

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mike! I need an Ott light though.

Petit- I think E-W too. Dunno why, I just prefer the look.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any further setting ideas Treenbean? Photo/links to post?
I'm totally in love with Mike's amethyst photo with the claws and the dark finish, and keeping it E/W - what are your thoughts?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I love this project and can't wait to see what you decide Treebean. I sort of love the idea of one long ring or used black rhodium to really make the stones pop.

Can I ask a question of Mike R - I just got some black rhodium on 18ct white gold earrings - is there any special care I need to take or is most jewelry cleaner ok? And more importantly, I don't know if I'm more in love with your deco pieces or the ones that look like vintage tattoos. Really your work both cool and stunning - I don't know how often that happens!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
winternight|1330388788|3135979 said:
I love this project and can't wait to see what you decide Treebean. I sort of love the idea of one long ring or used black rhodium to really make the stones pop.

Can I ask a question of Mike R - I just got some black rhodium on 18ct white gold earrings - is there any special care I need to take or is most jewelry cleaner ok? And more importantly, I don't know if I'm more in love with your deco pieces or the ones that look like vintage tattoos. Really your work both cool and stunning - I don't know how often that happens!

Thanks for the compliments Winternight, they really are much appreciated! ;-)

You should be fine with your regular jewelry cleaner, black rhodium is just as durable as white rhodium and doesnt need any special care.

Black rhodium can fade very quickly if the piece wasn't super clean when the plating was applied, but so long as it lasts the first clean then your good to go.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
I'm absolutely drooling over that collection! Hope to have one myself someday that is that beautiful.

Congrats!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to threadjack, but does anyone know if single stone sets outside stones? It seems like most of their rings are set with antique diamonds they have sourced.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous! Love the rhodium idea....I have a few pieces and LOVE them!

cheers--Sharon

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
erinl|1331399744|3145628 said:
Sorry to threadjack, but does anyone know if single stone sets outside stones? It seems like most of their rings are set with antique diamonds they have sourced.

They do

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Treenbean,

Sorry to threadjack, but you are the expert on these silvery gray spinels. I saw a 3.61 cushion cut silvery gray purple spinel listed for 399, or best offer. It looks to be well cut with a high crown. What do you think a fair price would be?

Thanks,
Erinl

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I just wanted to post that Mike R did make my spinel ring. It is on the "show me the bling" forum.

Real life pic

real life.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
If I werent 50 years old I would go to new zealand for a year to apprentice with mikeR, then come back to the states and open a shop with minous.
Alas, I am even already 51.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
VapidLapid|1338936793|3209948 said:
If I werent 50 years old I would go to new zealand for a year to apprentice with mikeR, then come back to the states and open a shop with minous.
Alas, I am even already 51.

I'm sure I would learn some tricks from you too VL. You haven't posted any projects recently, what have you been upto?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1338936793|3209948 said:

...and we could call it Vapid Jewelry and Bijoux, which would prove just how vapid we are...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results