shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
HA! I live in Houston and went to this Faberge exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS). I actually go to the museum about once a year - LM,they've just redone the dinosaur hall for the first time in over 30 years. My husband took me to the Faberge exhibit for our first Valentine's Day together. That tiara is gooooooooooorgeous in person.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1338514299|3207025 said:
HA! I live in Houston and went to this Faberge exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS). I actually go to the museum about once a year - LM,they've just redone the dinosaur hall for the first time in over 30 years. My husband took me to the Faberge exhibit for our first Valentine's Day together. That tiara is gooooooooooorgeous in person.

Even the new dinosaur exhibits have issues, but I won't go into details because that would be majorly off topic ;-) That was a very sweet thing for your DH to do for the your first Valentine's Day. There was no way I was going to get my DH to go to the Diana exhibit with me last summer, even with his tendancy to buy me assorted sparkly things!

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
"The Queen's man about crowns"

Just saw this article about the former Crown Jeweller to the British royal family -- hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...owns-brought-sparkle-to-her-celebrations.html

Interesting stories about several pieces of royal jewelry that I had not heard before, particularly the "kerfuffle" over the present Queen's wedding tiara in 1947. Now I see how being the Crown Jeweller is a 24/7 job.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: "The Queen's man about crowns"

singingbell|1338625738|3207706 said:
Just saw this article about the former Crown Jeweller to the British royal family -- hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...owns-brought-sparkle-to-her-celebrations.html

Interesting stories about several pieces of royal jewelry that I had not heard before, particularly the "kerfuffle" over the present Queen's wedding tiara in 1947. Now I see how being the Crown Jeweller is a 24/7 job.

Thanks for the link :) He dosn't say anything new, yet the article is interesting to read.
About the "kerfuffle" - That's a rather well know story, actually. The fringe tiara snapped in two just before it was placed on Princess Elizabeth's head and the Court Jeweller had to come at the palace in a hurry to repair it. In photos one can actually see that there is a larger gap between the central fringe and the one on the right (our left). I guess that's where the tiara broke. Further mending must've been made later as there isn't such a large gap now.
Actually, last year we were told a slightly different story about the accident by Lady Pamela Hicks, who was a bridesmaid at the wedding. Quoting The Queen she said something along the lines of "Don't worry, dear. We have a dozen of other diamond tiaras here. We'll find you something (nice) to wear.". I think that either Lady Pamela's memory is/was playing tricks or Her Majesty was joking ;-)

By the way, since G.Collins & Sons is stepping down as Crown Jeweller, I do wonder who will get the Royal Warrant. I believe BP said that the appointment will be made public later this year.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Archduchess Francesca wore a bandeau of clear stones at a fund-raising gala at Hofburg in Vienna. At first I thought it might be the pearl and diamond bandeau that she wore at her wedding (among other events), but looking closely it certainly is another piece. I wonder if HI&RH still has access to the Habsburg jewels and if it's real...
Anyway, I think this is the first time we see Archduchess Francesca with a tiara since the wedding in Denmark in 2004 and her appearance as Queen Maria Henrietta in Kronprinz Rudolf (2006).

Two photos HI&RH at the gala (by Mathias Kniepeiss and Johannes Simon) can be seen here and here.

PS: The dress looks like a modern version of a Hartnell gown Queen Elizabeth would've worn, don't you think?

Bobby

singingbell

Shiny_Rock

prince.of.preslav|1338677048|3208047 said:
About the "kerfuffle" - That's a rather well know story, actually. The fringe tiara snapped in two just before it was placed on Princess Elizabeth's head and the Court Jeweller had to come at the palace in a hurry to repair it. In photos one can actually see that there is a larger gap between the central fringe and the one on the right (our left). I guess that's where the tiara broke. Further mending must've been made later as there isn't such a large gap now.
Actually, last year we were told a slightly different story about the accident by Lady Pamela Hicks, who was a bridesmaid at the wedding. Quoting The Queen she said something along the lines of "Don't worry, dear. We have a dozen of other diamond tiaras here. We'll find you something (nice) to wear.". I think that either Lady Pamela's memory is/was playing tricks or Her Majesty was joking ;-)
Funny you should mention it, Bobby... I did wonder while I was reading the story, why they decided on the rushed repair for the broken tiara when there were undoubtedly many other dazzling tiaras to choose from in the royal vault. Was there some sentimental history attached to that particular fringe tiara?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
For all those who want to see something really spectacular, you can watch the Diamond Jubilee river pageant - some 1000 vessels sailing on the River Thames - live courtesy the BBC. The pageant will start in less than 1h 30min when The Queen will embark the Royal barge, the Spirit of Chartwell, near Albert Bridge.

Here is the link to the live coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18313813

Have a wonderful day,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

singingbell|1338709576|3208211 said:
Funny you should mention it, Bobby... I did wonder while I was reading the story, why they decided on the rushed repair for the broken tiara when there were undoubtedly many other dazzling tiaras to choose from in the royal vault. Was there some sentimental history attached to that particular fringe tiara?

The fringe was the intended tiara. It's large, simple in design and also quite sentimental. The tiara was made in 1919 for Queen Mary using diamonds from the tiara/necklace that Queen Victoria gave as a wedding present to Princess May of Teck, the future Queen Mary. It is this tiara that Princess Mary wore on her own wedding.
As you can see, although the tiara was rather new in 1947, it's the diamonds in it that had the special meaning. Or at least that's how I understand it ;-)

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed watching the Thames pageant yesterday. Such a pity that is started pouring down rain. I found the Duchess of Cambridge's brooch most interesting...makes me wonder if she might find some creative way to wear that polar bear brooch after all if she can successfully pull off the dolphin one!

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
I really hope she wears the polar bear brooch in the future. The dolphin brooch is actually the symbol of the Submarine Service of the Royal Navy. It is awarded to submariners in the same way "wings" are presented to pilots. Prince William is the Honary Commodore-in-Chief of the submarine service. Was she wearing the topaz/citrine(?) earrings she wore on her first public engagement in Wales before they got married?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1338825337|3208879 said:
I really enjoyed watching the Thames pageant yesterday. Such a pity that is started pouring down rain. I found the Duchess of Cambridge's brooch most interesting...makes me wonder if she might find some creative way to wear that polar bear brooch after all if she can successfully pull off the dolphin one!

I've been able to find close ups of both brooches worn yesterday by Her Majesty and Her Royal Highness (the Jardine Star Brooch the Dolphin brooch) and will post them later, maybe even tomorrow.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1338826191|3208884 said:
I really hope she wears the polar bear brooch in the future. The dolphin brooch is actually the symbol of the Submarine Service of the Royal Navy. It is awarded to submariners in the same way "wings" are presented to pilots. Prince William is the Honary Commodore-in-Chief of the submarine service. Was she wearing the topaz/citrine(?) earrings she wore on her first public engagement in Wales before they got married?

She was, indeed. And just to be clear - the stones are citrines ;-)
You can see them here - 'Eternal' Citrine Drop Earrings

Bobby

jewel989

Rough_Rock
Re:

diamondseeker2006|1192492116|1085022 said:
My goodness!!! I can''t even imagine what all these tiaras are worth! And that diamond necklace...wow!!!

LadyAmy, thanks for starting the new thread! I did think this topic deserved a more prominent location!

I agree, this thread is awesome!

DiamondSnowflake

Rough_Rock
Did anyone notice that the Queen's earrings for the Jubilee events seem to be a mega sized version of the normal diamond and pearl studs she usually wears to daytime events? A Jubilee gift?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are some jewellery-related photos from today's Service at St.Paul's Cathedral and the later events:

The Coullinan III & IV brooch (affectionately known as 'Granny's Chips') made a rare appearence on the Diamond Queen, along with the Devon earrings (also worn the previous night) and the trend mark three rows of pearls - Front view, Side view
The Duchess of Cornwall - the 'new 'pearl choker with the large diamond clasp and diamond and pearl earrings - Enjoying a Big day with her husband
The Duchess of Cambridge - new pearl and diamond earrings - A lovely Duchess covered by a nasty watermark
The Countess of Wessex - pave-set diamond earrings, not new - A beautiful Countess
The Princess Royal - the aquamarine and diamond brooch, aqua and diamond pendant on a row of pearls and pearl earrings (behind HRH we can spot Autumn with her wedding earrings) - An aquamarine Princess
The Duchess of Gloucester - Tahitian pearls and diamond pendant (any guesses what this might be?) around the neck and diamond floret earrings - The lovely Gloucester couple
The Duchess of Kent - pearls - A rare appearance by a formidable lady
Princess Michael of Kent - an often worn pearl and sapphire choker and matching earrings - 'the Michaels'
Princess Alexandra of Kent, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy - An adorable Princess celebrating her cousin's Jubilee
Lady Linely - diamond and pearl drop earrings - Serena inspired by Grace?
The Lady Sarah Chatto - diamonds(!) and pearls - A proud great-granddaughter of Queen Mary
Julia Ogilvy - Princess Alexandra's pearl and diamond choker? Nice, if so :) - Is she staring at Lady Sarah's riviere?!?

Photos courtesy GettyImages and Profimedia

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
DiamondSnowflake|1338937261|3209954 said:
Did anyone notice that the Queen's earrings for the Jubilee events seem to be a mega sized version of the normal diamond and pearl studs she usually wears to daytime events? A Jubilee gift?

Yes, they are a mega sized version of the earrings The Queen normally wears in the day. This pair was a wedding preset to Princess Victoria Mary (May) of Teck, the future Queen Mary, from the Ladies of Devonshire. They are commonly known as the Devon earrings and have been worn by Her Majesty at some important events ;-) This is the first time I actually see them worn two days in a row.

ETA - Queen Mary gave them to her eldest granddaughter, HM The Queen, as a wedding present in 1947.

PS: Welcome to Pricescope!

Bobby

DiamondSnowflake

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the welcome, Bobby, and for the provenance of the earrings as well. They are beautiful, and I hope she wears them more often.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

Yes I thought ther were bigger than the norm, glad it wasn't just me hat notice. I was also rather pleased to see her wearing "Granny's chips".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1338725586|3208240 said:
For all those who want to see something really spectacular, you can watch the Diamond Jubilee river pageant - some 1000 vessels sailing on the River Thames - live courtesy the BBC.

I have been looking at photographs of the Diamond Jubilee on my own and I finally thought to open this thread on Pricescope! Nice work, everyone, on covering aspects of the celebration that others would not have considered! I did not notice the large diamond and pearl earrings, for instance. I must look for them.

I happened to be in London for the Queen's Silver Jubilee. It seems amazing that she can have come so far since then! But if I were to think about it, back in 1977, Prince Charles had not yet married Lady Diana. Many of the people on stage today were then not yet members of the Royal Family at all!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1338937892|3209959 said:

Yes, they are a mega sized version of the earrings The Queen normally wears in the day. This pair was a wedding preset to Princess Victoria Mary (May) of Teck, the future Queen Mary, from the Ladies of Devonshire. They are commonly known as the Devon earrings and have been worn by Her Majesty at some important events ;-) This is the first time I actually see them worn two days in a row.

ETA - Queen Mary gave them to her eldest granddaughter, HM The Queen, as a wedding present in 1947.

Bobby has posted pictures in this thread of the Queen wearing the Devonshire earrings on a couple of different occasions. (They are actually archived in Google images, by the way!)

I found what purports to be a close-up of the actual earrings with this description posted underneth the photo:

"1893 earrings purchased by the Ladies of Devonshire, headed by Lady Clinton, as a wedding present for Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) and made to match a pearl and diamond necklace presented by the ‘Ladies of England’. The earrings were a wedding present from Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth in 1947."

Deb/AGBF
:read:

DevonshireEarrings.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1339008102|3210569 said:
Bobby has posted pictures in this thread of the Queen wearing the Devonshire earrings on a couple of different occasions. (They are actually archived in Google images, by the way!)

I found what purports to be a close-up of the actual earrings with this description posted underneth the photo:

"1893 earrings purchased by the Ladies of Devonshire, headed by Lady Clinton, as a wedding present for Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) and made to match a pearl and diamond necklace presented by the ‘Ladies of England’. The earrings were a wedding present from Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth in 1947."

Deb/AGBF
:read:

I have indeed!
Thank you for the additional information and the photo. Actually, I think this is a pic that shows approximately the actual size of the earrings.

I think it would be nice to post a couple of photos that show the original owner wearing them ;-)
One of my favourite photos of Her Majesty - Queen Mary in diamonds and pearls
A happy great-grandmother and an infant Prince - Queen Mary & Prince CPAG of Edinburgh

Can you spot the Devon earrings in this photo of Princess Elizabeth's wedding presents? And can you identify the other jewels? Wedding presents

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
While searching for the above photos, I came across this photo of King George V & Queen Mary visiting Liverpool. We can actually see The Queen wearing the pearl and diamond necklace that Lady Sarah wore the other day at the service at St Paul's.
Also interesting to see HM with a (diamond) feather on the hat. I wonder if it might be sitting somewhere waiting to be undusted...

The picture can be seen here - Link

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

I am unable to access the last few links you posted re: Queen Mary and Lady Sarah. Is there some other way I can access them? Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re:

laurensmama|1339026544|3210796 said:
Bobby,

I am unable to access the last few links you posted re: Queen Mary and Lady Sarah. Is there some other way I can access them? Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

I'm sorry that you can't see the photos, laurensmama. Which links don't work for you? I for one don't have problems with them.
For the photo of Lady Sarha at the service you can try searching for Ladt Sarah or Lady Sarah Chatto at http://www.profimedia.si/editorial
Here is another link to the photo of George V & Queen Mary in Liverpool - http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/78...OiwQKT557ocupQAiNm3H6lL/L77vy78ur1p3dKbydpw==
And a further photo from the Royal Collection - Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth

DiamondSnowflake

Rough_Rock
Hi Bobby,

Like Laurensmama, I am "forbidden" from viewing the links you posted. The only one I could view in the second set was the one of Queen Mary.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
DiamondSnowflake|1339105876|3211424 said:
Hi Bobby,

Like Laurensmama, I am "forbidden" from viewing the links you posted. The only one I could view in the second set was the one of Queen Mary.
I'm also having this problem. It says I need to log into the web site, but I don't know where that web site is.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this photo of Queen Mary.

Deb/AGBF

QueenMarySilverJubilee.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very nice article about QEII's sense of style, clothing-wise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/f...-sets-a-style-standard.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

The last paragraph is especially intriguing:

“She dresses much better in private than public,” Mr. Vickers said. “She wears lots and lots of jewels and really dazzles. She sparkles away like mad.”

Make me picture her relaxing in silk PJs and a silk robe dripping with diamond jewelry! :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results