shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Harry Winston Micropave on Round Brilliant Diamond

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
I've spent much time researching on this forum as I searched for my ering so I thought I would share my experience with the community.

I started my ering search several months ago... I checked out tiffany, cartier, debeers, and harry winston. I really liked the cartier 1895 Solitaire but they didn't have anything in their inventory with the specs I was looking for (RB, 2.5-3.0ct, D-F color, ex/ex/ex). I found a tiffany diamond that met my requirements and was a great price but I wasn't thrilled with any of their settings... and ultimately it was sold before I could decide. I was having trouble acting quickly since it was super early in my search... which worked out fine because I wouldn't have been as happy with it. (Btw, I asked if they could do a custom 4 prong setting, they said they couldn't do it for anything under 3ct... seemed silly to me) :rolleyes:

Flash forward to March, I meet with my cousin who works at HW. I've always thought I wanted a plain RB solitaire, classic and timeless, so I went in to look at HW's version. While there I found myself staring at "the one" and couldn't take my eyes off. I tried on several and found one that I liked, cushion cut, 2.7ct, D, VVS2, ex/ex/ex. I went home that day thinking that was the one...

When I got home, I started to worry that the cushion cut was too rectangular (i.e. long and narrow) and looked odd. I also wasn't sure I would love the micropave forever... it seemed trendy. I think in my heart I knew I still wanted a RB.

I was torn between the cushion micropave and a round diamond. :confused: :errrr: :confused: :errrr:

So I went back into HW... looked at a few more cushion cut micropaves, solitaires, even rb center with two pears on the side (which is totally cute)... still nothing that was perfect. So they pulled up their inventory and found the perfect RB diamond from their Chicago salon and had it overnighted to NY. I went in the next day and knew right away that it was THE diamond for me. It was already set in the solitaire setting... but they said they can custom make it into any design including the micropave. So again I went home with a big decision to make... do I stick with the solitaire which I knew looked beautiful or do I custom make the the micropave on the RB diamond? I tried to do a search on HW micropave on a round diamond... nothing. After much deliberation and a couple sleepless nights...

I decided to go with the micropave! :bigsmile:

After waiting 9 stressful weeks of wondering if I made the right decision... I finally got pictures from my cousin and I couldn't be happier! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
(Taken from his phone so not the best quality)

Specs:
2.57ct RB
8.74-8.80x5.48
E color
VS1
Ex/Ex/Ex
No Fluorescence
57% table
62.5% depth
35.5% crown
41.4% pavilion

So now if anyone is curious how the harry winston "the one" would look on a round diamond. Here it is! (I promise to share more once I actually have the ring)

PS - I've spent a bit of time on SMTB recently and think that the Victor Canera Emilya Halo looks quite similar... at least based on the pictures.

Ring.JPG

Ring 2.JPG

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Stunning ring!!! Congratulations on your engagement!

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS!!! :love: :love: :love: I'm eagerly awaiting your hand shots!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty!!!
Hand shots please!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh for goodness sakes--WOW! :love: :appl:

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY. CHIT. THAT. IS. AMAZING. Cannot WAIT for more photos of this bad boy!

SecondTimeAround

Rough_Rock
:shock: I am mesmerized.....

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
what a gorgeous ring! congrats!!! :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a beauty!! You made a great choice.

Congrats!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous. Congratulations.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.....incredible ring!!! :love: :love: :love:

hoover

Shiny_Rock
That's a big beautiful ring!

Stunning. :love:

Congratulations! :appl:

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
HOLY.CRAP. That ring is so gorgeous!! Need more pictures!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just stunning!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1338555190|3207204 said:
HOLY. CHIT. THAT. IS. AMAZING. Cannot WAIT for more photos of this bad boy!

I think Ame summed it up so eloquently above... Holy CHIT is right!!! :love:

Its gorgeous - NEED HAND SHOTS NOW!!! :bigsmile:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodnesss! How beautiful!! It looks as big as a golf ball!!!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! Congratulations!

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I promise I'll take lots of pics once I get my hands on it (or rather once it's on my hand)... we will have it in 2 weeks but my bf likes to tease me that he'll make me wait until August for him to propose/give me the ring. (Yes I'm making him propose even though I picked out my own ring... though I haven't seen it in person so that counts right?)

Next adventure is to figure out which wedding band to get... I guess getting the matching micropave would make the most sense but I don't really like how it doesn't sit flat against the e-ring band. I've read a few other threads that have mentioned spacers, I'll have to do a little more research on that. Also, the wedding band looks kinda puny on it's own... the sales person said quite a few people buy a second band for their first anniversary and wears one on each side of the engagement ring... I guess the two micropave bands stacked would look a little better? Maybe two micropave bands with two spacers... lol, maybe I'm getting a little too far ahead of myself. :naughty:

And last question for now, does anyone wear their e-ring/wb on their right hand? They've warned me that the micropave is delicate so I am concerned because I'm uber left-handed and do EVERYTHING with my left hand. Thinking the ring(s) would be safer on my right hand. I've read that it's traditional to wear rings on the right hand in some eastern european countries but I've also read that wearing your ring on your right hand means you're a widow??? Thoughts?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Wow! incredibly beautiful!!! You did a fantastic job, and I'm eagerly awaiting handshots!! :love: :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me I don't wear anything on my right hand. I have a scar and it's really not comfortable.

I personally think two of the matching band maybe even just stacked below would be good, OR a plain one that matches then the matching one. It would act as a spacer and give more visual interest. But I cannot wait to see this bad boy on your hand.

amyh1985

Rough_Rock
love your ring! do you know how to negotiate with pricing? i went to harry winston yesterday and the prices were very $$$

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
Luckily I didn't have to do the negotiating because I got the family discount... which was a pretty good discount (~20%) but could have been 5-6% higher just a year ago because they apparently changed their employee discount policy recently. Not sure how this will impact general negotiating/discounting though.

But I do know they definitely do negotiate so you should try. Though I think the bigger the budget the better the discount. By the way, I've heard most of the other comparable stores (e.g. Cartier) negotiates as well.

There are a couple other threads on discounts on PS, though they are a little dated now:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston.148823/#post-2691560#p2691560']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston.148823/#post-2691560#p2691560[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/about-to-buy-from-harry-winston.80406/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/about-to-buy-from-harry-winston.80406/[/URL]

Another thing to keep in mind is that I think HW is pretty low on inventory, they've opened a few new salons recently including their brand new Shanghai salon. Negotiating might be a littler harder right now...

My guess is that 10% is reasonable and maybe upwards of 15%...

So based on my own experience/research, here are some additional notes:
1. HW prices are basically the same as Cartier, DeBeers, etc
2. HW prices (and other brand name jewelers) are about 10-15% higher than suggest retail prices (based on suggest retail prices-in store of http://diamondpriceinfo.com/DiamondRealMarketValue.cfm though not sure how reliable/accurate the source is)
3. Going to a local retail jeweler won't necessarily get you a better price, in fact the prices at a well known local SF jewelry store were HIGHER than HW or Cartier... though maybe they were priced high with the expectation to negotiate a substantial amount
4. Ultimately, with my ~20% discount I ended up ~8% under the suggest retail though still ~20% over suggest retail of internet prices.

The notes above are based on diamond prices alone based on estimates of the HW diamond price without the setting. Depending on setting, prices/percentages probably vary quite a bit. FYI, changing my ring from the solitaire setting to my custom micropave setting increased the retail price of the ring by $7,100.

Hope this was helpful!

amyh1985

Rough_Rock
that was VERY helpful! thanks so much! :bigsmile: i love their round cut solitaire but the one i tried on was $60K! oy.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
woweee that is amazing :cheeky: :love: :love:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
woweee that is amazing :cheeky: :love: :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's nothing short of stunning! Wear it in good health!

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
Woo hoo! I finally have my ring... and as promised here are some pics! :twirl:

Taken with iphone so not the best quality, will try to take more pics with real camera later. Please ignore the swollen fingers... just got off plane when I took pics and fingers always swell a little after a long flight.

ring_0.jpg

ring_5.jpg

ring_7.jpg

ring_6.jpg

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
One more... profile view.

ring_8.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results