shape
carat
color
clarity

Honest opinion please!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a similar topic yesterday and didn't get many responses so I'm trying a different approach. :bigsmile: In as few words as you'd like, what do you like about this diamond and what don't you like about it?

Thanks!

Cachette :))

GIA RB
6.40 x 6.47 x 4.00 mm
1.01 carat
F
SI2 (very eye clean - a couple of white crystals on pavilion that show up on top but I louped it and could just make them out - no black carbon spots)
Total depth 62.2%
Table 56%
Crown angle 35%
Crown height 15.5%
Pavillion angel 41%
Pavillion Depth 43.5%
Star length 55%
Lower half 75%
Girdle Medium to slightly thick, faceted (3.5%)
Culet none
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence none

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless you are very picky about cut quality, the diamond will most likely be fine for you. It is one that I personally would want an idealscope or macros photos for, if buying remotely. In person, if you have seen many ideally proportioned stones in the past then you can use your eyes to see if the patterning is appealing to you, or if the central region looks darker/leakier than the peripheral areas.

The price is higher than you can pay online. Is there a reason you want to buy locally? I would spend my money differently -- I would look for a lower color and better clarity stone, or a lower color and bigger stone from an online vendor to maximize my dollar. I also would not pay for a Canadian stone because it is not something important *to me*.

But I think for a stone being offered at a B&M in Canada that you can see with your own eyes, the price is fair and the cut good quality.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337878576|3202695 said:
Unless you are very picky about cut quality, the diamond will most likely be fine for you. It is one that I personally would want an idealscope or macros photos for, if buying remotely. In person, if you have seen many ideally proportioned stones in the past then you can use your eyes to see if the patterning is appealing to you, or if the central region looks darker/leakier than the peripheral areas.

The price is higher than you can pay online. Is there a reason you want to buy locally? I would spend my money differently -- I would look for a lower color and better clarity stone, or a lower color and bigger stone from an online vendor to maximize my dollar. I also would not pay for a Canadian stone because it is not something important *to me*.

But I think for a stone being offered at a B&M in Canada that you can see with your own eyes, the price is fair and the cut good quality.

Thanks Dreamer! I did see it, in the store and outside and it looks really good and very, very eye clean but what worries me is the high score on the HCA (2.3 - very good all the way). Is it the depth that is a problem or a combination of other measurements? The central region looks good to me but I think I did observe some leakage but I'm not sure as I don't really know what to look for. I used my ideal scope on it and I couldn't really tell as it looked very close to any of my 3 ACA's. I REALLY like the F color (so crisp and clear!) but I'm concerned about the cut. The GIA certificate states Excellent for cut, polish and symmetry so why is it a 2.3 on the Holloway Cut Adviser???

Thanks again Dreamer. I appreciate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is wrong with a 2.3. There are plenty of nice stones that fall between 2 and 3. We often tell new guys on here to stick with 2.0 or less, but that is because it is just easier, especially if they are in a hurry to buy an e-ring! But as long as you have seen the stone and it looks like your other ideal cuts, you should be fine!

Like Dreamer, I'd probably go down to G-H color, and I would likely go to VS clarity. But fortunately, there are diamonds with all kinds of specs, so it is good that we don't all want the same thing!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337908214|3203121 said:
Nothing is wrong with a 2.3. There are plenty of nice stones that fall between 2 and 3. We often tell new guys on here to stick with 2.0 or less, but that is because it is just easier, especially if they are in a hurry to buy an e-ring! But as long as you have seen the stone and it looks like your other ideal cuts, you should be fine!

Like Dreamer, I'd probably go down to G-H color, and I would likely go to VS clarity. But fortunately, there are diamonds with all kinds of specs, so it is good that we don't all want the same thing!

Thank you diamondseeker! I've thought it over (a lot!!) and have decided to pass on this diamond. I will see if he was find me something of lower color and bigger and with better numbers. If he can't then I will look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results