shape
carat
color
clarity

getting frazzled with ebay - big problem with ring I bought!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
OK, I'm irritated. I bought a ring, listing says diamonds are clear, no inclusions or dark spots.

Well, the ring came today. The center diamond is missing a prong (pics were bad, took a chance, big mistake!). Where the prong would have been, there are 2 big chips in the girdle! And, the thing is webbed with inclusions, including one dark brownish boogery looking one right under the table.

I asked the seller to return, and she said no. She said I am lying about any problems because I changed my mind. :rolleyes:

So, I contacted ebay, only to hear that the seller contacted them about ME being a problem! Yikes!

The seller said she had her jeweler of 30 years look over the ring and there is no missing prong, no chips, and certainly no inclusions... so I am making it up... hmmmm.

I'd like to send her a photo to show I am not making this up, but don't see how to with ebay messaging.

Gee I don't know what to do. Not sure if I can send ebay a pic either!
Anyone ever had a situation like this?

Thanks...

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Re: getting frazzled with ebay - big problem with ring I bou

OK, the seller "escalated" the case! LOL! If I could just show someone this ring!

IMG_0338.JPG

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock

Sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom to offer, that is a shady thing to do on the seller's part! I am sorry you are going through this, I hope she let's you return the ring eventually. I guess it's a good thing to only buy from sellers willing to accept returns. Hope everything works out for you!

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock

Oops, sorry for the errant apostrophe I put in the word "let's". The misplaced apostrophe is one of my biggest pet peeves :)

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock

one more - notice the "booger" inclusions? Only word I can think of to describe them!

IMG_0337.JPG

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

lucyruth,

It looks like you should have a case as "not as represented".

I can understand your not seeing the missing prongs. Once you get the thing in hand and look at it, they jump out and then you can see it in the photo.

The missing prongs and chip are serious problems. I wouldn't worry about her escalating anything.

Keep us posted!

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no lucyruth, this really stinks. I can't offer any specific advice because I've never been through this before, but doesn't ebay offer a 45 day return if the item isn't as described? Even IF this seller is inferring you broke the prong and chipped the stone, you certainly didn't put the visible inclusions in the diamond! Seller stated the diamonds were clear, so I think you have a pretty good case, just not sure how you go about proving it to ebay. I think I would contact ebay again and explain the ways in which the item was not as described.

I've also heard about doing a chargeback on a credit card for situations like this, and I think some people get paypay involved.

I'm thinking maybe you should move this thread to hang out so you'll get more responses.

Sorry about this! Ebay can be risky. :(sad

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That does look like a pretty unflattering inclusion. Good luck with your case against the seller!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock

Hey ladies, maybe this should be moved, but not sure how! If someone wants to ask to have it moved, great - I've just only ever posted here (vintage) before!

These pics were taken by me just now... her's are not closeup and not clear.

I wanted to send photos to ebay, but can't see a way to contact them. All it says is that the case has been escalated by the seller and they will contact me when they make their decision. Going to have to go look again!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock

Well, I sent that last pic to the seller, and she said the prongs looked good to her, and the inclusions were just reflections...

So, I called eBay, and talked to the buyer protection dept., and they reviewed the case while I was on hold, and found in my favor.... the girl was a bit grumpy but I guess she deals with unhappy campers all day long!

So, thankfully, I get to return the ring, and hopefully this will be the end of it!

Thanks for hearing my panic-laden tirade!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

lucyruth,

In your photo, it looks like there are two suspect prongs. Even if it's just one, the problem prong and the girdle chip that wasn't disclosed are pretty important issues, even without the inclusions.

I'm so glad you're getting the proper resolution to this problem and it didn't take you long to do so.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fantastic that it ruled in your favour. Clearly there was something wrong from the start - the nerve of the vendor to blame it on you! Like, you'd purchase something then damage the stone?? Well - i guess people do that - but it just doesn't seem logical that you'd go to this extent if you were at fault, so I'm happy that it worked out for you.

Is this a regular eBay vendor you purchase from? Hopefully no one else will experience this....

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock

Ah, thanks again everyone for the moral support! This kind of thing just sends my nerves over the edge.

This was not a buyer I'd ever used before, and she doesn't even have anything else for sale (and not much feedback) so she doesn't appear to be someone you'll run into... I do wish PS had private messaging - I'd be happy to warn you privately but hesitate to do so publicly where it could be unearthed by a search engine.

I think I've just been taking chances on individuals since they tend to ask less than the dealers on ebay. But you're taking a chance there too.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so glad this seems to have been straightened out Lucyruth!! Wasn't even necessary to move the thread! That seller is clearly in the wrong - quite honestly, she sounds a little off her rocker! How can she deny the issues with the ring? The fact she misrepresented the clarity is undeniable. I hope you get your refund soon - keep us posted!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock

I'm so glad eBay ruled in your favor! That's a huge inclusion and the chip is nasty.

I'm sure the ring is worth something, but I'm guessing it's a lot less than you paid for it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow. I am so glad ebay ruled in your favor and correctly. Thank goodness PSers generally know how to take a decent macro photo.

Just post the link to the auction - that should be enough to make sure we don't go there!

I think with all the really great stuff PSers have been finding lately, it's easy to forget that ebay can be a bit of the wild west. Plus normally the best way to get a deal IS to find someone who hasn't sold jewelry before, or has less than perfect pics.

That booger is just not OK. :nono:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

So glad this is on its way to getting resolved. I can't imagine that ebay would have decided in her favor, she sounds kinda unstable. I hope you get your refund quickly!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow...I don't know much about selling on ebay, but shouldn't she wait until the ring is back in her possession to sell it? At least she was a little more honest in her description - kinda weird. I can see why you were initially drawn to the set, it's pretty from a distance. Glad things worked out!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

LOL at the new description: "Apparantly there are some minor issues with the prongs around the main diamond and the person who bought this and returned it claims that there is carbon in the main diamond and can be seen under a loop."

I see clearly a missing prong, hardly minor. And the carbon inclusion is large, but perhaps not eye visible.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

I see two missing prongs. The two prongs on the right side in the last photo look fine, but it looks like both prongs on the left side are missing.

liz

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

I am with Liz. I wasn't going to comment b/c I thought it would be useless. You were getting a refund. Happy ending. But I did see that one of the prongs doesn't even look like its making contact with the diamond. Another lesson of caution about shady ebay sellers.

At least she's being honest now? :rolleyes:
She should have put, "Apparently, I am blind because there's a big 'ol booger under the table that is a bit unsightly. Which wouldn't have mattered because the diamond would have fallen out the first time you wore it."

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1337463192|3199319 said:
LOL at the new description: "Apparantly there are some minor issues with the prongs around the main diamond and the person who bought this and returned it claims that there is carbon in the main diamond and can be seen under a loop."

I see clearly a missing prong, hardly minor. And the carbon inclusion is large, but perhaps not eye visible.

Oh jeez, I didn't notice she called a missing prong (or two) a minor issue! This seller definitely seems a little nutso to me - glad it worked out ok for you lucyruth.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

vinjewels|1337480365|3199479 said:
She should have put, "Apparently, I am blind because there's a big 'ol booger under the table that is a bit unsightly. Which wouldn't have mattered because the diamond would have fallen out the first time you wore it."

:lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

GemFever|1337536139|3199757 said:
vinjewels|1337480365|3199479 said:

:lol:

I agree! But add "...not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm quite happy to rip off buyers!"

Geesh some people :rolleyes:

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

Glad you were able to get this resolved, lucyruth! :)) Just FYI for anyone else in the same type of situation, the easiest thing to do is post pics of the item either on PS or on a photo-sharing website like Flickr, Shutterfly, Photobucket, etc., and include links to the pictures in your eBay messages/dispute updates.

I went through a nearly identical situation a few weeks ago and having pics of the crapola ring I bought (and a PS thread!) were really helpful. (Not that the pics made a big difference to the seller, who insisted that I removed the prongs from the ring and chipped the girdle on one of the stones in the time between opening the box and taking the pictures. :roll: :lol: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results