shape
carat
color
clarity

Jackson Crossroads Amethyst?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting, Haywood and George! :) Your information makes me even happier about my JXR gems. I wonder if they would go too dark in a bezel setting? Have you seen that or ???

(I apologize for any threadjacking, Erin :oops: The information may serve you as well? You should have yours soon. Yea!)

~ faegrace

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
faegrace|1309401261|2958633 said:
Thank you for posting, Haywood and George! :) Your information makes me even happier about my JXR gems. I wonder if they would go too dark in a bezel setting? Have you seen that or ???

(I apologize for any threadjacking, Erin :oops: The information may serve you as well? You should have yours soon. Yea!)

~ faegrace
Sorry, I have only mounted one piece (a pear) in a Tripps mount. The stone is very light, so no change (and the mount was a very open pendant.)

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
faegrace|1309401261|2958633 said:

~ faegrace

Check these threads to see the ones that I had set into a ring and a pendant.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wifeys-new-jxr-christmas-present.154275/

and

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-jxr-amethyst-pendant.130101/

I don't specifically know if setting one in a bezel will make it darken as I am not all that familiar with them. I will say this though, I had my jeweler show me how they would look in both white gold and yellow gold settings. The yellow gold seemed to, what's the best way to put this, make the stone appear brownish? I'm not sure if that's the best way to say it, but it just didn't right in yellow gold.

Might also want to look at this thread for more photos of JXR gems to get another look at what they look like.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jxr-collection.141749/

Also in this thread, AmethystGuy posted a picture of a JXR next to a 4 Peaks gem. You can really tell a difference in them I think :twirl:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for responding. Haywood, I appreciate the links. You have such a nice purple family there! ;)) I am glad you said something about the alloy color. I would've automatically chosen YG based on experience with other amethyst. Now, I will really explore options.

Erin, are you thinking any sort of settings yet? Like perhaps one would suit your needs better or ???

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the information! It is fascinating, but very much over my head-- I don't think I am even close to being knowledgeable or skilled enough to pick out a good piece of rough!

On a side note, I received the four peaks pieces today. Maybe it was the cut (all emeralds) or the color, but I was not overwhelmed..... :(

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A correction to my post earlier. A little bird reminded me that I have some "Nambian" amethyst. Is it too late to demand that they quit making some stuff sound alike? :lol:

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
erinl|1309409301|2958792 said:
On a side note, I received the four peaks pieces today. Maybe it was the cut (all emeralds) or the color, but I was not overwhelmed..... :(

I felt the same way when I saw 4 Peaks stuff in person side by side with JXR stuff. If you are lucky enough to have them both in your hands, that's where you can really pick up the differences between the tendencies to flash blue or red. Do it in the sunlight though, lots easier to see the difference under a white or sun light.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Four peaks material almost never has nice euhedral crystal faces like you would expect from a quartz deposit. The rough and mottled surfaces of the material makes it hard to pick and choose rough that will yield good clean gems. I notice a strong red component when I backlight most of the pieces while grading the rough. The body color purple always seems dull and lacking in richness in most of the pieces I have handled and seen(rough). Extreme color zoning and much more so than JXR material. Typical feathers and fingerprints on the color zone gradient. Hard to choose four peaks rough to cut since it's so beat up looking and lacking in natural windows to see the interior

JXR material has good "crystal". Nice smooth euhedral crystal faces allow perfect views into the stone. Easy to grade rough. Body color purple has lots of richness and depth. Famous "blue flash" is lacking in many of the crystals and rough and in my opinion some of the zambian material I have owned and sold had a stronger blue than any JXR I have seen but those pieces were few and far between. I think the color is better than four peaks amethyst(much better) and the finest Uruguayan Artigas material but top zambian amethyst still takes the cake for color in my opinion and will even show up the finest JXR material.(although ROM has some tanzanian amethyst thats suposed to knock the socks off most others :naughty: )

4 peak 1.jpg

4 peak 2.jpg

4 peak 3.jpg

jxr crystal sweet.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting those photos, amethystguy. That's quite a dramatic difference in the rough.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Those pictures of the Amethyst rough are very interesting--thanks so much!!

Erin

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
More amethyst

This is more four peaks material

Here are some small zambian pieces of rough. Mostly crystal tips. Color is tops on these.

four peaks.jpg

four peaks b.jpg

zambian.jpg

zambian b.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Jackson Crossroads amethyst facet rough crystal. The number one absolute finest facet rough I have ever seen from Jackson Crossroads! It is also one of the best pieces of amethyst facet rough from any location that I have seen. Color wise it is slightly behind a few rare zambians I have seen with "blue" color through and through. It has size and clarity which is hard to beat coupled with the fine color of it. Topping in at 375ct.(75 gram) this JXR rough has the deepest richest and finest color I have seen in any amethyst. It has pink and blue secondary colors. It is almost completely clean in the well colored portion of the stone and would cut a large stone. Price on the box states $1400! You know when an amethyst cost $1400 then it must be damn good! I have drooled over this stone for a very long time and I almost bought it a few times. It's just so hard to justify $1000-$1400 on a 75 gram amethyst crystal, ya know. The first picture was taken in the shade it looks like. All the pics are not mine but I have held and viewed the stone on numerous occasions. Colors in picture don't represent exactly what this crystal looks like

best ever JXR rough a.jpg

best ever JXR rough b.jpg

best ever JXR rough c.jpg

best ever JXR rough e.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely piece of rough !!!! :love: :love: :love:
It's neat to see the containers of rough amethyst also :))

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
amethystguy|1311238747|2973641 said:
Jackson Crossroads amethyst facet rough crystal. The number one absolute finest facet rough I have ever seen from Jackson Crossroads! It is also one of the best pieces of amethyst facet rough from any location that I have seen. Color wise it is slightly behind a few rare zambians I have seen with "blue" color through and through. It has size and clarity which is hard to beat coupled with the fine color of it. Topping in at 375ct.(75 gram) this JXR rough has the deepest richest and finest color I have seen in any amethyst. It has pink and blue secondary colors. It is almost completely clean in the well colored portion of the stone and would cut a large stone. Price on the box states $1400! You know when an amethyst cost $1400 then it must be damn good! I have drooled over this stone for a very long time and I almost bought it a few times. It's just so hard to justify $1000-$1400 on a 75 gram amethyst crystal, ya know. The first picture was taken in the shade it looks like. All the pics are not mine but I have held and viewed the stone on numerous occasions. Colors in picture don't represent exactly what this crystal looks like

ummmmm, yeah. I don't have the words here. I've seen it, held it, drooled on it, and almost whipped the cash out of my wallet for it. I could be wrong here, but I think it was sold some time back. Pretty sure it would cut a finished gem somewhere between a large marble and a golf ball that would be extremely high grade and clarity. Definitely a showstopper for whomever ends up with it.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
erinl, did you ever get your JXR's in? Curious as to which one you kept, if any.

If you are still in the market, check the "pre-loved PS jewels" section as I have 2 of them up for grabs there.

kacrane

Rough_Rock
I have a 60ct Russian Amethyst given to my Great Uncle by Russian Prince Matchabelli, the Perfume Prince circa 1922.
I am looking for a value and/or buyer. Please help me at least determine a value.

Amethyst1.JPG

Amethyst2.JPG

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
kacrane|1337095852|3195648 said:
I have a 60ct Russian Amethyst given to my Great Uncle by Russian Prince Matchabelli, the Purfume Prince.
I am looking for a value and/or buyer. Please help me at least determine a value.

I have no idea on a value. But can you post a picture?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results