shape
carat
color
clarity

help with single serve coffee makers!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I had a tassimo, but got rid of it due to ease of finding the pods for it. I would be interested in getting a keurig.

I am wondering which model is best for everyday use. I would also like to be able to use travel mugs. I am reading reviews on bed bath and beyond and they all seem to have iffy reviews. SO was looking at the cuisinart one (199). I was looking at keurig branded ones (elite, special edition and platinum)

I also see they have a new "VUE" system. Does anyone have this? Is it worth the extra money?? Anyone have any insight into any of these?

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I have the Keurig Special Edition (B60, I believe). I really like it! My only complaint is that the k-cups are fairly expensive, but I buy mine from Sam's and they're a little cheaper. I've had mine for about 3 years or so. I had some issues with it not too long ago, and I called Keurig. They walked me through some stuff, and then decided it was a goner, so they sold me a new one for half price. I was pleased with the customer service. I love the convenience of brewing a single cup of coffee whenever I want it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I bought this one at Costco;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11537017

I think it's a little cheaper at the store, since shipping is not included in the price. You can easily remove the little silver ledge to fit a tall travel mug under it. It comes with a bunch of coffee k-cups and the filter do-hickey so you can make your own "cups".

If it breaks, I'll just return to Costco and get my money back. ;))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I ask a follow-up question:

Those of you who use single-serve, what kind of coffee where you drinking before you switched? Were you grinding your own coffee at home? Buying ground coffee?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have the smaller single cup Keurig in my office and I love it. I don't know why reviews would be iffy about this brand. ??

If I had room on my kitchen counter, I would get the larger brewer. And may do so anyway.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have the Keurig at home too and I love it! Hubby makes me 2 cups every morning which he then pours into my insulated mug and Im a happy camper with hot coffee all morning long!

I buy the k-cups at Costco (my personal fave is Newman's Own, hubby loves the flavored ones from Gloria Jean's which I find too sweet). We also buy them at TJ Maxx and Marshall's when we spot them there :)

LOVE my Keurig!

Oh, I used to patronize a mom and pop coffee house down the street and I still do - just not everyday! ::)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

I think I am leaning towards the platinum and the special edition.

@iLander : no costco here :( but we do have a BJs wonder if they have a similar price. I will have to look into that :)

I like donut shop and green mountain coffee. I'm also interested in the teas and ice coffees (which the tassimo didn't do well).

Right now we buy whole bean coffee from Dunkin donuts and we have a cuisinart that grinds then brews. My SO drinks almost a pot a morning... So it would not be very cost effective for him to use a keurig unless he was having a single cup. I also knOw they have the my k cup that you can put your own ground coffee into. Maybe that would be a good option as well.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We definitely like the Keurig. Our family uses it several times every day. We had the Tassimo and didn't use it nearly as much. I like that you can use your own coffee/tea or whatever in the special empty K-cup. We are lucky to have a store in town that sells pretty much every available coffee/tea/other that is available. Grocery stores don't have a great selection. You can also order online. I don't remember which model we have, but it less than 6 months old.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
We have the same mosel as the Costco version suggested above. I did research before I bought them and realized that they can be prone to breakage but Keurig has great customer service and if it dies within the year, they will replace it for free. I also admire the Cuisinart version because it has more functions like water temperature and it's a little more sturdy in general. Still, Cuisinart's warranty is not as good as Keurig's so I would probably go with the Keurig brand.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
redsoxgrl|1336757857|3193154 said:
Thanks for the replies!

I think I am leaning towards the platinum and the special edition.

@iLander : no costco here :( but we do have a BJs wonder if they have a similar price. I will have to look into that :)

I like donut shop and green mountain coffee. I'm also interested in the teas and ice coffees (which the tassimo didn't do well).

Right now we buy whole bean coffee from Dunkin donuts and we have a cuisinart that grinds then brews. My SO drinks almost a pot a morning... So it would not be very cost effective for him to use a keurig unless he was having a single cup. I also knOw they have the my k cup that you can put your own ground coffee into. Maybe that would be a good option as well.

I have bought K-cups at BJ's and their prices are good. The only problem is that not all BJ's carry the K-cups.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
The kcups are going off patent! They have a new machine now. I'm hoping the price of the kcups becomes more affordable as a result.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Pink Tower|1336771924|3193355 said:
The kcups are going off patent! They have a new machine now. I'm hoping the price of the kcups becomes more affordable as a result.
I did notice the new "vue" cups and machine! Really expensive. Hope they don't discontinue the k-cups as a result??

@asscherhalo : thanks for the link! I just went and bought them. Love amazon. We drink DD too! :)

I did talk to my bro they sell the B60 one at our bjs. Comes with 36 k cups a my k cup and replacement water filter for 129. I don't think I can really beat that price and he has a coupon! :)

It's really good to know that keurig has great customer service! I feel much better now!!!

Thank you everyone :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love my keurig from Costco. Make sure you only use distilled water. The only downside: kcups are not recycleable and I feel like its a lot of waste.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Kuerig and bought it with airmiles when they had a deal on ... about 6months ago??? can't remember. But LOVE IT! the occasional grounds in my coffee mug but a cleaning cycle clears it up. You can order K cups on line thru Keurig or you can get them at several stores, including Costco. Awesome variety of flavours. It fits my travel mug and regular household mugs.

I'd go Keurig if I was buying another one.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have the Platinum Keurig at home and at work - love it! We were previously using ground coffee. I generally stock on the kcups during Macy's Friends and Family Sale - a box of Donut Shop is like $8.29 with the 25% off. It is not particularly cost effective but we don't waste a half a pot of coffee per day and don't have the set up the night before or the clean up the next morning. I suppose some would call it a luxury but we love it and will probably never go back to a regular coffee maker. Can't beat the convenience or ease of use! I despise coffee that has been sitting on a warming plate for more than 20 minutes so fresh coffee every time is wonderful.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the mini Keurig, and I'm very happy with it. Lots of companies make coffee for it. If you use an American Express card, you could get one for free with your reward points.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1336755582|3193117 said:
I bought this one at Costco;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11537017

I think it's a little cheaper at the store, since shipping is not included in the price. You can easily remove the little silver ledge to fit a tall travel mug under it. It comes with a bunch of coffee k-cups and the filter do-hickey so you can make your own "cups".

If it breaks, I'll just return to Costco and get my money back. ;))
i tried two cups of different brand at Costco today. the machine cost $150 so i'll wait for a sale.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The model I suggested lets you pick the amount of brew that you will make; coffee cups size, mug size, all the way up to jumbo travel mug size. Try to find one with different sizes.

We actually cheat because the paul newman K-cups are so strong; we brew it through the largest size once, then using the same K-cup, run it through again. All into a big carafe. That way we have slightly weaker coffee, but plenty of it, with one cup. When guests are over, it's annoying to make everyone a separate cup.

If you do buy the K-cups on line at Keurig, try the Southern iced tea cups. They are awesome, seriously strong. We brew through twice, then fill the glass with half tea and half water. Still very crisp and flavorful. Delicious! :cheeky:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
iLander|1336919425|3194298 said:
If you do buy the K-cups on line at Keurig, try the Southern iced tea cups. They are awesome, seriously strong. We brew through twice, then fill the glass with half tea and half water. Still very crisp and flavorful. Delicious! :cheeky:

I LOVE tea! i am always looking for some good tips. I wanted to try the celestial seasonings 1/2 tea 1/2 lemonade, any input on that?? I will def be trying the southern tea too!

One feature i loved on the tassimo, was when it was "done brewing" you could hit an "extra" button...(not sure what it was exactly called) which would continue to brew extra into the cup and i did this frequently as i like bigger cups of coffee not very strong.

I am wondering if with certain k cups i could run through twice, like 2 "6 oz" to get weaker coffee. Maybe i should try that with newmans :naughty: Thank you for the tips :mrgreen:

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
redsoxgrl|1336921751|3194323 said:
iLander|1336919425|3194298 said:

I LOVE tea! i am always looking for some good tips. I wanted to try the celestial seasonings 1/2 tea 1/2 lemonade, any input on that?? I will def be trying the southern tea too!

One feature i loved on the tassimo, was when it was "done brewing" you could hit an "extra" button...(not sure what it was exactly called) which would continue to brew extra into the cup and i did this frequently as i like bigger cups of coffee not very strong.

I am wondering if with certain k cups i could run through twice, like 2 "6 oz" to get weaker coffee. Maybe i should try that with newmans :naughty: Thank you for the tips :mrgreen:

I cheat, too. I usually use the "large" cup for my first cup, then when I am about halfway through with it, select the "small" to top my cup off.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I have a Keurig but I'm not sure which one. Overall I'm happy with it but once in a while it doesn't fill up the cup all the way. And I fill it with water everyday before I use it so I know it's not out of water. But it only happens once in a while.

I don't buy the k-cups. I buy a big bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee every few months and use these reusable filters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QOLSJ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Right now we have the special edition Keurig and I cannot rave about it enough! As soon as I need to reorder kcups though I plan on upgrading to the Vue, it looks amazing! I love that you can control brew strength and have more size option with the new system. I also order our kcups through the Keurig website and receive a 15% discount on all of the boxes as well as free shipping. You also receive points by ordering through Keurig.com that you can redeem for a discount on accessories and brewers, right now I have enough points that I can get the Vue for 1/2 off!

ETA: Haven before we had the Keurig we just went out and bought coffee at coffee shops

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results