shape
carat
color
clarity

Will your kids really want your jewelry?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1336599416|3191514 said:
I'm a bit like Dreamer tho - not sure how I feel about things going to future DIL's.... but, I guess by then, it won't be an issue for me!

Oh, I meant while I was alive. When I'm dead who cares! Not me that's for sure.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
No kids, but my pseudo-niece has already laid claim to many of my pieces. It's actually nice to know they'll go to someone who can appreciate them (and who always exclaimed over them when I wore them.)

But if she wants to repurpose anything, I'm fine with that too. :) I have some earmarked for friends who may outlast me too! LOL (But you have to WAIT for it, Mara!) *smooch*

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
If she has good taste she will! :lol: She is too young to know if she will want it to wear, but I hope she will want it for sentimental reasons.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nahhh...i have 2 girls.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy every piece of jewelry thinking about whether it is something that would be enjoyed by me and worthy of being handed down. In reality, I hope my daughters are too old to care about my jewelry by the time I am gone, so I do think more of my things will go to granddaughters if I am blessed with a long lifespan. I do already give my older daughter some things I do not wear, though. She told me long ago that she wanted this emerald cut garnet ring that I had set in yg. It is a pretty ring, but I only wear plat and wg now, so I went ahead and gave it to her (and a few other things). I have gotten rid of most of my other yg jewelry that was not worth saving. Everything I buy now is very classic and won't go out of style, so it really will be able to be worn even if it isn't the current popular style of the time.

My mother is in a nursing home so she has already given her three daughters her jewelry, and she really only had basic pieces of fine jewelry. The only thing I got (or wanted) was her 1 ct. diamond and I had it recut or else I wouldn't have used it. My sisters divided the rest. One of them has a husband who never buys her any jewelry, so I was glad for her to get a couple of nice things.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any kids. I will probably give most of my things to my niece, if she decides she likes jewelry. The problem is that our family is shrinking. My grandmother and her four sisters all loved jewelry. When my grandmother passes (she's the last of the sisters alive), it will likely go to my Mom, who has willed her jewelry to me.

Over the years, I've gotten a number of beautiful pieces from my mother, grandmother, great aunts, etc. While none of them are huge and blingy, they're lovely pieces. There are quite a few pieces of Jensen silver jewelry in the family, too. I have a really deep appreciation for the family jewelry. They'd be the last thing I'd sell if things got bad.

While my grandmother has quite a collection, my mother never really bought much jewelry. Most of what she has are things she got from her mother or father. I don't think my father ever bought my mother any real jewelry, and my mom has never bought it for herself.

I'm hoping my niece will appreciate the heirlooms as much as I have.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
MAybe it's a fantasy about daughters-in-law but I am very looking forward to having some and hope we have a good relationship and share things.
I don't have any daughters and miss being around other women and doing girly things like swapping (and gifting) jewelry.
Besides they will be the mothers of my (hopefully I will have one or two) granddaughters.
It's a relationship that can be hard but I intend to work hard at it. I get along well with my MIL so it must be possible. Not 100% but I really like her and even consider her another mother--we do have our runins, but I have them with my mother, too. This is part of life, but the good has way outweighed the bad. I have certainly enjoyed chatting clothes with her (she's a very stylish 82 year old) and enjoy most of the jewelry she has given me.
One of my sons has had two girlfriends that I just adored. So I suspect he will marry someone I like very much. I don't give them valuable things while they remain just girlfriends, but he has been with the second of them for a while and I wouldn't mind having her as a daughter-in-law some day. We will see what happens.
At this point, I hope they don't marry yet not because of HER, but becuase my son is frankly somewhat immature at this point with some issues to settle that he doesn't need to land on a wife, in my opinion. However, that's for her to decide and meanwhile I completely STAY OUT OF THEIR BUSINESS, so long as he doesn't try to do something unreasonable (i.e., against our house rules, like bringing her up to the bedroom before marriage under our roof).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll probably end up having all boys, but if I have a daughter, she'll get all my jewels. Most of my pieces are classic styles, so they shouldn't look too dated, even many years down the road. If I do end up with just boys, then hopefully one day I can have a great relationship with a future daughter-in-law. MIL/DIL relationships seem tricky though, but I'm hoping my son(s) make good choices.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
I am surprised how attached my daughter is to my pearls and her grandmother's (recently acquired). I have 3 strands of nice pearls (akoya) and my daughter has a AAA freshwater set (recent gift) so I was surprised she wanted mine and her grandmother's as we recently made a list of who gets what for my will. It took a little convincing to get her to agree to choose one and let her cousins have the others!

She is not jewel crazy like me but I have a niece (7 yrs)who loves all things sparkly! :appl:

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I hope I have an amazing DIL, cause otherwise, I am not sure what I will do. Perhaps, I will direct my son and only child, to come to Pricescope ( a name he knows well :rodent: ), to assist him in selling my diamonds, which will be worth a lot more then, (I hope).

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
answer to original question: no.
it all goes to my husband who remembers the very ring i was wearing when we met.
my daughter? she'd lose it......

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black Jade|1336749669|3193019 said:
MAybe it's a fantasy about daughters-in-law but I am very looking forward to having some and hope we have a good relationship and share things.

I too plan to have a wonderful relationship with my future daughters in law (ETA: or sons in law). I just wont be giving them my bling :tongue:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I think you have a sapphire ring I'd want if I were your kid. :Up_to_something:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No kids but any future kids can have it if they want it.

Any PSers want to will me their jewellery? You know I'll take amazing care of it, and cherish it forever. :bigsmile:

Come to think of it, I might want one or two PSers to have MY jewellery when I'm gone. I really have been mightily entertained by some of you! And Id want to go to someone who would really appreciate it, if I didn't have kids of my own. Hmmmm...food for thought.....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1336914210|3194244 said:
No kids but any future kids can have it if they want it.

Any PSers want to will me their jewellery? You know I'll take amazing care of it, and cherish it forever. :bigsmile:

Come to think of it, I might want one or two PSers to have MY jewellery when I'm gone. I really have been mightily entertained by some of you! And Id want to go to someone who would really appreciate it, if I didn't have kids of my own. Hmmmm...food for thought.....

Yes! I think this might be the better solution - we would at least all appreciate each others treasures and such, that our kids could just think, "oh - yeah, mom wore this..." then resell it for a video game! (OMG! the horror at just thinking that!!!) :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results