shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage 5 stone ring

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to get opinions on this vintage ring. It has a .65 F/G bezeled center with 4/.45s F/G sides in platinum. What do you think it's likely worth on the second hand market?

b3611a.jpg

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the design...just lovely. I have no idea what it's worth, but since the demand is higher for old cuts right now, I'll bet it would fetch a pretty price IMHO.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Not sure on the price, but.....oh my gosh. I love it, I want it, I need it! Haha. A girl can dream ;)) Nice find!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't bought it yet but I sure think I want it. I could wear it on either the ring or middle finger. I think it would be some bling!
Here is a side view

b3611b.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I'll start off by saying i am not a secondary market expert by any means....

Well, from OWD, depending on the clarity and cut it looks like an F/G .45 ct could range anywhere from 675-1200 each. The .65ct F/G could be anywhere from 1600-2800. So the cost in the retail market for diamonds only could range from 4300-7600, which is a wide range. Factoring in the setting and depreciation of value on secondary market, I think I would probably be willing to pay 4500-5000 max, with a good return policy. Then again, as SparklyOEC said, old cuts are in demand, so there is a good chance it would go above that.

ETA-saw the side view you posted, gorgeous! Knowing myself, I would probably go above the 4500-5000 just because it is such a beautiful piece.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity is advertised as VVS. It looks to be a true vintage ring. The return policy is good. No one has bid yet so it could be bought with BIN for $6550. I think it's worth it.

Another view

b3611e.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
If they are VVS, then I definitely think it is worth it. Heck, even if I were lower clarity, I would still probably buy it at that price. What can I say, I am weak when it comes to old cuts and gorgeous vintage settings. If you love it, I say go for it.

ETA-Maybe you could talk down the price a little with the seller since no one has shown interest yet? The worst they could say is no, and then you can decide if you want to pay full price.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright Ice - that is one sweet ring - if I had the $$$ I would definitely buy it and bring it home to check it out in person - really really love the design and it looks well-made. If you do get it, please post pics especially hand-shots!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like all of the stones are well matched with high crowns and small tables. Yes, it does look well made. Should I go ahead and bite or wait till tomorrow to see if they will take less?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, and in great condition! Idk, so hard to figure what a "good" price is these days - I think $6550 seems a little high for the secondary market? I'm a little on the cheap side, so maybe you can't go by me. But a lot of secondary prices seem close to retail these days, hard to find a "good deal", so to speak...if it was me, I think I'd offer around $5000 and see what happens. All they can do is say no!

Just my thoughts - if you truly love it, (and it is a gorgeous piece) the asking price isn't outrageous.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
On ebay, under $2000, for a deal. Up to $3000 is ok. Count on the stones NOT being colorless.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring is beautiful! I think the price is high for just the stones, but factoring in how nice the piece in, and that it will probably look awesome on your finger... I'd be tempted to pay in terms of "how much I love it and have to have it" as opposed to just the price of the diamonds. As some people suggested, I'd try giving them my best offer and sleeping on it, but if the seller refuses to sell for less than BIN... and I could afford the BIN... I'd be sorely tempted. Good luck with it!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent them a request to consider my BIN offer. I won't know anything until they get to their business tomorrow.

If this was listed with someone like JBEG, I am sure it would list for close to this asking price.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any word on your offer? I'm rooting for you to get this beauty and post lots of pics :bigsmile:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1336410914|3189319 said:
Any word on your offer? I'm rooting for you to get this beauty and post lots of pics :bigsmile:

No word :((

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bummer. Well, if there are any updates, please post!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1336441429|3189704 said:
Bummer. Well, if there are any updates, please post!

The seller turned down my offer stating that they price wholesale as is :((

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I don't always understand the Ebay sellers - I offered someone $200 less on a ring that had been listed and relisted at least 3-4 times. It was priced at around $1800, which was overpriced for what it was. Rather than knock off a couple hundred bucks and sell it, he would not even make a counter-offer! So that was several months ago, and I still follow the item - it is still listed for the same price and no buyers. Doesn't make sense to me!?!?!
Sorry you didn't get the ring at your price....when that happens to me, I wonder if I was better off not having to deal with an inflexible seller!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Uff :(sad

Will you pass this one by and keep looking? If that's the case, then at least you still have the fun of the search ahead of you ;)) And maybe you'll find a much better deal for something just as cool! Good luck!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
humph! I agree - I don't get why a sale with slightly less profit is not better than no sale at all? Oh well... the hunt continues! Maybe there is an even better item and a better deal out there, that you are just about to find.... Fingers crossed for you, Bright Ice!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Often when items are overprices they are consignments. I have found that a few times. And the consigner just is inflexible. Many ebay sellers offering jewelery do it on consignment.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1336531737|3190686 said:
Often when items are overprices they are consignments. I have found that a few times. And the consigner just is inflexible. Many ebay sellers offering jewelery do it on consignment.

You are right Dreamer. I bought a .59ct OEC off e-bay. The seller was very nice, actually a jeweler who was selling it for a client. The stone was set in a simple 6 prong, which I didn't need but I negotiated to get it loose with the same return policy.
It's a little beauty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results