shape
carat
color
clarity

Could someone please explain the whole scarf trend to me?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
You know. The winding around the neck like a loose noose. Getting it just so, so it looks like you simply flung it on.

Uh huh.

Speakiing for myself, I would spend all day fidgeting with it. And being way too self aware.

Aside from that, hasn't it become just a bit of a cliche? The accessory of the tragically hip went Hollywood and then it went Main Street. Kinda like tattoos, only less permanent. :bigsmile:

And why do I see people wearing this - - thing - - around their neck on summer days? I'm I the only one who's plenty warm already? :knockout:

I'm uber cozy just looking at them. It's like wearing your own throw (or binky).

Fraas-Scarves-for-Men.jpg

chris-martin.jpg

scarf on the street.jpg

scarves.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Re: Could someone please explain the whole scarf trend to me

Side note: I almost didn't notice that the woman in blue was Julia Roberts. I suspect she has neither a personal trainer nor a stylist. How normal.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, afaik this has not gotten much traction in Texas for non-winter seasons... wonder why...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, here in Chicago scarves are very important accessories. I probably own 20 of them. Weather is unpredictable here, I keep an ice scraper and window shades in my car year-round. I love scarves, I wear them all the time. They are very popular amongst my colleagues, as well.

If it's a trend, I believe those of us in cold climates are the trend-setters!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Haven|1336514884|3190451 said:
Well, here in Chicago scarves are very important accessories. I probably own 20 of them. Weather is unpredictable here, I keep an ice scraper and window shades in my car year-round. I love scarves, I wear them all the time. They are very popular amongst my colleagues, as well.

If it's a trend, I believe those of us in cold climates are the trend-setters!
Loose, light scarves are wonderful for that biting wind. It can sneak up on you.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Necessity here where I live also. The weather in Europe now is not too "hot" so I will take two scarves--one huge and one for either my hair of neck. Scarves can perk up a bland outfit or hair style--and be (functional) cozy. And I don't see them as being a trend...been around for a "while"....

cheers--Sharon

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

Add me to the love scarves group. I'm almost always cold though. I have a number of heavier and lighter scarves, and I think they're a great way to add a pop of color into an otherwise boring outfit.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock

I love scarves. I wear them all fall and winter, and I carry a lightweight silk/cashmere blend scarf in my bag during the summer. It gets very hot where I currently live. Everywhere I go, people have their air conditioning on full-blast, and it is freezing! I hate the feeling of being cold, so it's nice to have a scarf when I need one. Plus, I'm minimalist as far as clothing goes - sleek lines and no frills - so scarves and statement jewelry are what I use to personalize and add edge to my look. To me, they are a wonderful combination of cozy and chic.
I can't see how scarves could be considered a "trend?"

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i have found that as i've gotten older i appreciate a scarf.....as a fashion accessory and/or neck warmer. i utilize them mostly in the winter....but i have summer weight ones that i use if the evening cools. i've done this for years. to think that i've been ahead of the curve re fashion! unheard of!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Necessity. Where I live the weather can change pretty suddenly. In May, so far, it's been lovely and sunny most mornings so you can be tricked into thinking that it'll be like that all day and forget your jacket. At about 1pm it's around 45F, which can be pretty chilly combined with cutting wind and driving rain. The scarf is a forget about it accessory. If you aren't cold it goes around your neck. If you get colder a large one can be like a shawl. The nights here also don't stay warm, it can drop to the low 40s easily, even in July. You may not want to carry a coat all day in case you're out after sundown so scarfs are handy.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

I'm on the fence. I live in wicked cold Quebec, but I've never worn a scarf, not even in winter. I think they are a bit of fashion accessory in addition to being practical. I started following this fashion blog where the girl wears scarves all the time. It's helped me appreciate the scarf more. I'm not sure I get tank top and a scarf though. That's counter-intuitive to me. If it's cold enough to wear a scarf, I don't get why your arms and shoulders would be bare?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I used to have the same question - what's the obsession with the scarf and why is it ever-present in fashion/style mags? - of course that was when I lived in San Diego - now that I live in New York City I totally get it - scarves can be winter-weight or summer-weight and even if you don't walk out the door wearing one they are such a little thing to tuck into your bag in case you need/want it later - the weather is changeable/unpredictable and subway trains can be drafty - besides the fact that a scarf can punch up an outfit and your mood.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I get the bare arms thing. I hate them covered so I wear tanks year-round. Luckily I live in LA where it's warm. Sometimes it does get chilly, but not cold enough to put on a jacket so something covering my chest is enough to keep me warm. If scarves didn't bug the shit out of me, I'd totally wear it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS|1336512870|3190431 said:
You know. The winding around the neck like a loose noose. Getting it just so, so it looks like you simply flung it on.

Uh huh.

Speakiing for myself, I would spend all day fidgeting with it. And being way too self aware.

Aside from that, hasn't it become just a bit of a cliche? The accessory of the tragically hip went Hollywood and then it went Main Street. Kinda like tattoos, only less permanent. :bigsmile:

And why do I see people wearing this - - thing - - around their neck on summer days? I'm I the only one who's plenty warm already? :knockout:

I'm uber cozy just looking at them. It's like wearing your own throw (or binky).

This is as simple and cut and dry as abortion.

If you don't like scarves don't wear them.

People vary.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I. Seriously. Do. Not. Get. It. If it's not like 10 degrees out, I don't get why anyone would wear one. I break out in major sweat just seeing people wearing them. Esp if they're wearing shorts and a tank top. Uh, maybe put on some damn clothes?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

I wear them for warmth, to brighten up my neutral outfits and today I'm wearing one to add a little modesty to the front of my top for work.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Huh, guess I never thought much of it since here in San Diego, a lot of people wear them. We have nice weather here year-round, but at night, it can get chilly (even in the summer the nights can be in the 50's). A lot of the bars and restaurants out here are either outdoors or have outdoor seating with open doors, so even if you're inside, you get a chill. It would be too hot for a coat, so a lot of my friends and I will wear a light scarf with a shirt and it's *just enough*. I also just wore one on a long plane trip. I tend to get cool on airplanes but a coat would be too much, so I wore a shirt with a scarf. I was definitely not the only one wearing one on the plane, so I just thought this was normal...

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock

Maybe they all have hickies? :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love them! my DD advises me on how to wrap and wear the properly and she's very good at that! I like the fashion ones for a bit of colour when a necklace isn't enough, or to cover up a too low top for work. I think they are also useful when travelling too - it may look crazy on the way to the airport, but I find the air on the planes is enough to give me a chill and - voila - my scarf is now a wrap!

In the winter, I ALWAYS have one on. If my neck is cold, the rest of me is frozen. We have winters where it can be -30/-40C with windchill, so scarves are mandatory!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love scarves. There's a youtube video showing 100 ways to wear them. They're great for covering up cleavage :) so I'm very thankful this is a current trend.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

hawaiianorangetree|1336519981|3190522 said:
I wear them for warmth, to brighten up my neutral outfits and today I'm wearing one to add a little modesty to the front of my top for work.

this! I don't have lots of cleavage but I do like v-necks so sometimes the cover-up is a necessity for modesty purposes. and it is a great way to brighten up a plain t-shirt, lots of fun to rotate through different colors!

I do have heavier scarves for when it is actually cold in the winter, and lighter ones for spring! would never wear one in the summer, it does get too hot for that. but breezy spring days are perfect for those lightweight scarves. and they are comfortable, like a blankie for your neck!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

To steer Kenny's random abortion comment into a more relevant direction, I used scarves to hide my second pregnancy for about 25 weeks. People were shocked to hear the news and since my work can vary in temp by +/- 30 degrees in a day I find scarves are a must. Also, I have traveled in Asia extensively and scarves are just the easiest and cheapest souvenirs, no one questions a scarf collection the way any non PSer would a pearl necklace collection of equal size :tongue:

tigian

Ideal_Rock

I wear them in the summer because it is too hot for a cardigan, but all buildings are usually insanely cold. If I keep the back of my neck covered, I don't feel as cold. I also use them to brighten up my neutral-heavy wardrobe.
I love scarves!!!!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1336519653|3190517 said:
HollyS|1336512870|3190431 said:

Uh huh.

This is as simple and cut and dry as abortion.

If you don't like scarves don't wear them.

People vary.

Kenny, I believe you may be taking this thread far too seriously. Just sayin'.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

ame|1336519750|3190518 said:
I. Seriously. Do. Not. Get. It. If it's not like 10 degrees out, I don't get why anyone would wear one. I break out in major sweat just seeing people wearing them. Esp if they're wearing shorts and a tank top. Uh, maybe put on some damn clothes?

This.

I expect, in cold weather, to see scarves. I wear them then. But I remove them inside. And I'll even use them as shawls in restaurants after my coat comes off, or in a cold office.

As for AC in summer, I'm the Cardigan Queen. Keeping my neck swathed in yards of fabric won't keep me toasty if the rest of me is exposed.

But all this scarf origami as the just-right-touch to finish an outfit . . . huh uh.

It does kind of remind me of being in D.C. in the early 90s when every woman had a silk scarf either around her neck, used as a shawl, or tied to her purse.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Scarves can be for warmth or wind, but they can be a fashion accessory too, like a hat or a brooch or a vest, etc. Scarves aren't necessariy hot either, it depends on the material. I love scarves, especially infinity scarves. My theory is that you're either a scarf person or you're not. I am. Must be because I'm part French.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

We visited Paris a couple of years ago in February. Everyone there wears a scarf. It is the perfect accessory that makes a light jacket warm enough in the winter. DS bought one and not only was he now warm enough, he could also instantly pass for being French.

I wear a scarf all winter in Minnesota. It helps to keep the neck warm outdoors. Indoors, however, I would rather show off my pretty necklaces, so no scarves there.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

Funny, I wore one to work today. Partly because the AC is frigid, even though it was mid-60's today, and partly because my t shirt was really plain. I wear pashmina-style ones frequently.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock

We love scarves a must-have here! Summer scarves are as popular as Winter scarves. I've been wearing them for 10 years now, I can honestly say that I have more scarves than shoes :tongue: Summer ones are colorful, light and keep you cool while they protect your shoulders from the sun. I'm sure is regional...this morning was partly cloudy around 60 F, by lunch it was 81 F, when I came home I had untied my scarf and used as a shawl because it was 59 F.
Truth: They can hide dark roots, bad hair day, stretch your wardrobe.....you name it!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock

Saoirse2|1336532393|3190692 said:
We love scarves a must-have here! Summer scarves are as popular as Winter scarves. I've been wearing them for 10 years now, I can honestly say that I have more scarves than shoes :tongue: Summer ones are colorful, light and keep you cool while they protect your shoulders from the sun. I'm sure is regional...this morning was partly cloudy around 60 F, by lunch it was 81 F, when I came home I had untied my scarf and used as a shawl because it was 59 F.
Truth: They can hide dark roots, bad hair day, stretch your wardrobe.....you name it!

Love it! :tongue: I'm so glad I love wearing scarves!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results