shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for my ruby?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have two possibilities for mounting my ruby. There are different things I like about each. I'd love to hear your input and recommendation.

Adwar1.jpg

Adwar2.jpg

IDJ1.jpg

IDJ2.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #1 because the prongs are inset somewhat, I don't like the prongs out on the end of the melee of #2. But I like the gallery of #2 better.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
That's exactly what I think BI.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD
Love the way the melees are set. The soft scalloped edging is very feminine and the gallery is open. But why is the stone set so high? The shank is solid and thick (even throughout) so it's a setting that is made to last and withstand a lot of physical stress.

IDJ
Totally different look. The prong at each tip gives it that angular edge. The gallery is also busier and more enclosed. Some people like that style. Shank is thinned as it approaches the bottom.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Would an $800 difference in price make a difference to you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how strongly you feel for one design over another. Also I am quite sure the BGD setting has ideal cut melees. How is the quality of the IDJ stones? The bigger the diamonds, the more obvious the difference when it comes to cut quality.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Both settings would hold 10 pt stones. BGD cannot guarantee me the fluorescent melee. We'll have a yellow gold shank and prongs.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #1 better. 800 dollars would make a significant difference to me. I might pay it if I LOVED one more than the other, but if I liked both equally, I would go for the cheaper one.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are things I like about both, but first reaction is that IDJ's strikes me as elegant and classic, and BGD's strikes me as cute.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about cut quality of the melees? 10 pointers are fairly large and light performance can make or break the look. I am rather particular about fine details and have paid $1k more for a setting where most people cannot see the difference between the two. So the question is, how much will it bother you?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
In all honesty, neither one... but I am only saying that because you don't seem to like all the aspects of either one. If there is ANYTHING about either one that you don't like, I'd pass, unless of course you are looking at this as a temporary setting.

From what you have shared, this stone is a once in a lifetime, I have been looking for this stone forever type of thing, which means personally, I wouldn't settle on any setting that I found any fault with.

I would continue looking until you found a setting that you felt was perfect and then save until I could afford that setting if it was currently out of your price range.

To answer your second question, the $800 would only make a difference to me if I found two settings that were both perfect and one was less money than the other.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
With a ruby like yours, $800 more for the setting you like the most is nothing. Get whichever setting you like better and spare no expense in getting the "perfect home" for that amazing ruby!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Having said what I just posted, I am like most of the others in that I find some things I like better about #1 and some about #2.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I would be all over #2 because I think it has a beautiful aesthetic. However, I don't like the outside prongs causing a pointiness on the top view. If I could get #2 with minimized outer prongs, then it would be perfect!

Chrono, I would want to make sure the melee is ideal or nearly so.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On paper, it is easy to say "lose the prongs at the end" but in reality that is not the case. The BGD setting shows shared prongs, so the line of the prongs sit on the inside, giving that smooth seamless appearance. The IDJ prongs are done very differently. One unshared prong at the end, with the prong closer to the setting being shared. This is what gives that more enclosed profile or gallery. I don't think IDJ can do anything about the pointiness of the prongs.

Perhaps the melees in this setting are larger, so the pointiness of the prongs is less apparent.

6ctccalex.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm actually a fan of #2 all around. It's so flowery, seems like it may take up a little more finger real estate and I love the gallery.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is another version of setting #2 from IDJ. It has a 20pt stones. Don't you think it really minimizes the "pointy" prong issue?

IDJ diana halo.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks less pointy to me. I'm thinking it because the prongs are smaller relative to the diamond melee?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You don't think it would be disproportionate to my stone? It's 8.27 x 6.54 x 4.15

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the 3rd one the best. I probably should know this, but how big are 20 point stones anyhow?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like the 3rd one best too, in fact think it's very pretty. Pointy end prongs aren't so noticeable & it has the same grace as #2. I can't tell if it's the same gallery, looks different, but like what I can see of it.

YG should be really gorgeous with your magnif ruby.

--- Laurie

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
20 pts + 3.8mm

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Upgradable|1336502494|3190259 said:
You don't think it would be disproportionate to my stone? It's 8.27 x 6.54 x 4.15
I think it'd be beautiful and make it a statement piece - one that you'll love forever and pass on to your children.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you absolutely set on full cuts and that type of style? Cuz....

:lickout:

23rdstreet002.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or for something even more different...

23rdstreet1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1336504682|3190294 said:
Upgradable|1336502494|3190259 said:
I think it'd be beautiful and make it a statement piece - one that you'll love forever and pass on to your children.

Yes, so please don't shortchange yourself. This one is not one to quibble $800. Get EXACTLY what you want.

My 3 stone ring started with a budget of $1500. Until I realized I hated everything in that range. I hate to tell you where I'm at now, lol.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1336504728|3190296 said:
Are you absolutely set on full cuts and that type of style? Cuz....

:lickout:
Good Lord!! Rose cuts would be gorgeous!!

But I think I want the more traditional look for this one. I can't believe I'm saying that. But I really want the Broadway lights on this stone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's one from Singlestone.

singlestone.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Oh my I love the rose cut diamond halo setting...
The pink sapphire ring is also gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results