shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA ex/ex cushions, comparison between H/VS2 and F/SI1

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got some interest in seeing pics of my two cushions (I'm selling one), but thought it would be helpful to many lurkers/buyers who are trying to see color difference, so I thought I'd post on RT for educational purposes. The square ratio of both is the same at 1.03 and the carat weight of the stones are 1.01 (the H) and 1.03 (the F).

The two cushions I am comparing are cut extremely similarly. I will post the specs below. All pics have only been resized, no photoshopping at all other than resizing.

Enjoy!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the specs:

My ring, in a size 4.75 Jeff Cooper Setting (the thicker band one)

GIA
Shape and Cutting Style - Cushion Brilliant
Measurements - 6.10x5.90x3.82
Weight - 1.03
Proportions
Depth - 64.7%
Table - 55%
Girdle - Medium to Thick, faceted
Culet - small
Finish
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Clarity Grade - SI1
Color Grade - F
Flourescence - none

Mom's ring, in a size 5.5 white gold setting courtesty of Mark T and ERD

GIA
Shape and Cutting Style - Cushion Brilliant
Measurements - 5.90x5.76x3.90
Weight - 1.01
Proportions
Depth - 67.7%
Table - 53%
Girdle - thickto Very Thick, faceted
Culet - medium
Finish
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Clarity Grade - VS2
Color Grade - H
Flourescence - none

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here we go...pics...

These first four were taken in diffused outdoor lighting (shade) against a white cardboard background.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Next four, the flower ones were taken in diffused, the finger shots, direct sun.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last 4. The flower was taken outside (diffused but with my hand over to shade further) and the white background shots this time were taken indoor next to a window.

Hope that was informative!

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Both really nice stones! :appl: Thanks for the pictures.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1333994243|3166715 said:
Both really nice stones! :appl: Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks! My camera was really bad when I first bought these diamonds, so it was nice/fun to take the upgraded camera pics!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Oh, beautiful! Love both, but partial to the plump pillowy H ...oh good thing you don't have to choose....or are you choosing?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1334036107|3167247 said:
Oh, beautiful! Love both, but partial to the plump pillowy H ...oh good thing you don't have to choose....or are you choosing?

I made the choice long ago....the F is my ering. the pillowy H was the runner up that I ended up buying for my mom and am now selling since she gave it back to me. I agree the higher crown is lovelier but I picked the F as it was bigger. ::)

If you go to the preloaded forum to see the listing you can see the videos which will be gone once the listing expires. Anyway I had someone interested in the difference in color so since I went through the effort, I thought I'd post it here for education. :))

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I recognize those traditional 8 mained cushions TG. It's a shame they're not around anymore.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still need a money tree.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1334074864|3167527 said:
I recognize those traditional 8 mained cushions TG. It's a shame they're not around anymore.

why is this?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1334074864|3167527 said:

Rhino, why are they not around anymore?

Gypsy, lol...sorry girl, you get no sympathy from me with all your goodies lately. ;))

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think part of it has to do with the greater divide in pricing between fancies and rounds. Over the past year and a half as we've been watching diamond prices go up, the rounds have been increasing while fancies not as much. The difference used to be around a 20% difference but now it's closer to 40%. This divide has driven more factories to cease cutting fancies and concentrate more on rounds or fancies that will maintain the most weight from the rough (like most cushion modifieds).

Those old Ex/Ex cushions, at the time they were being cut weren't the cheapest cushions on the block but I know they were among the nicest. Since most jewelers do not know how to sell/market cut those cushion brilliants were around for a while and then production ceased. This was all before the increases too.

The prototype I have been working on utilizes the same facet structure but with modified proportions.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1334086513|3167700 said:
I think part of it has to do with the greater divide in pricing between fancies and rounds. Over the past year and a half as we've been watching diamond prices go up, the rounds have been increasing while fancies not as much. The difference used to be around a 20% difference but now it's closer to 40%. This divide has driven more factories to cease cutting fancies and concentrate more on rounds or fancies that will maintain the most weight from the rough (like most cushion modifieds).

Those old Ex/Ex cushions, at the time they were being cut weren't the cheapest cushions on the block but I know they were among the nicest. Since most jewelers do not know how to sell/market cut those cushion brilliants were around for a while and then production ceased. This was all before the increases too.

The prototype I have been working on utilizes the same facet structure but with modified proportions.

Hm, interesting! And I can vouch that they weren't the cheapest. As I was thinking of selling, I looked around for comps and couldn't find it. Fancy prices didn't seem to be too high, meaning comps were around $4500, but none seemed to be as nice as the two I own. So impossible for me to figure out the current value of something that probably doesn't have real value because no one knows what it is? :lol:

ETA, thanks for taking the time to explain as well!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, those are beauties TGal! :love:

Keep both :devil: What if someone has interest in some other comparison pics in a few months and you can't post anything 'cause you sold it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1334087417|3167710 said:
Goodness, those are beauties TGal! :love:

Keep both :devil: What if someone has interest in some other comparison pics in a few months and you can't post anything 'cause you sold it?

LOL. I have a lot of things up in the air right now....possiblities, possiblities. Not a bad thing. I'll know a lot more in the next week what my options are.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are yummy!!

You really found some good cushion cuts.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread! Thank you for showing us this :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results