Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1336018516|3186368 said:
AprilBaby|1336002158|3186124 said:
Really began to hate her after Yentil. Why in the world did she think anyone would believe she was a man???? One of the worst movies ever!
WHAT?!?! I LOVE Yentl! I used to watch that movie repeatedly as a child.
It's one of those things I'll stay home (or up ridiculously late) to watch if I catch it on the television.

Barbra is, in my opinion, one of the best female role models a Jewish woman like myself could have. IMO, of course.

Ditto!!
When I was graduating high school, my mother did her best to make me insecure about my "typical big jewish nose" and that I should have a nose job like her. Actually she started on me during high school. She had a nose job when she graduated high school (like every other jewish girl growing up in Queens in her social circle during her era).

I was in H.S. when Yentl came out and it was my first exposure to Barbara Streisand and I though, here is a strong jewish women not afraid of her looks and such confidencde and success. I know it sounds corny but she was a role model to say NO to my mother.

I'm in my 40's now and am glad I had the confidence to say no to my mother and not have the nose job. I have 2 daughters now who both have my exact nose. I think i would have lost my credibility with them by teaching them to be comfortable in their own skin if I had my nose surgicallly altered. And my daughters think I'm the most beautiful woman in the world, nose and all :)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1336119443|3187258 said:
HollyS|1336091294|3187019 said:
Imdanny|1335997947|3186060 said:

Discuss what?

How do we decide whether we "like" a celebrity or not when we only know them from their own PR or a tabloid spin on their life?

She's a great talent. The Voice of Her Generation. No doubt about it.
I don't agree 100% with her politics.
Ladies and professionals shouldn't tell hecklers to "Eff off!" at their concerts, which she did.
I love her Malibu 'compound', although some of her money could have been used for more good than multiple houses filled with stuff.
I can't even begin to understand how she and James Brolin became spouses. It's a mystery to me.

I neither like nor dislike her. I have sometimes wanted to tell her to shut up. Well, when she wasn't singing. ;))

Holly, your comments are thoughtful and provocative, but I guess I wasn't clear enough that I was making a joke. "Discuss." is what Mike Myers says on Coffee Talk. :cheeky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Talk

I kinda thought so. Would that have anything to do with the character having a huge celeb crush on Barbara? :bigsmile: And shouldn't it have been "Discuss amongst yourselves"?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Holly, here's what Wikipedia says.

Streisand fixation

"Richman's hero was Barbra Streisand. She constantly "dedicated" the show to her, often claiming her to be the greatest actress in all of history."

"Discussion topics

Whenever Richman would get upset, she would put her hand on her chest and say "I'm all verklempt" or "I'm a little verklempt." Then she would say, "Talk amongst yourselves," sometimes waving her hand in a dismissive gesture toward the audience. She would often follow this with an example by saying, "I'll give you a topic." The topic would usually follow this format: "[two- or three-part phrase] is neither [first part] nor [second part] (nor [occasional third part]). Discuss." (Or: "Discuss amooangst yooaselves"). Streisand lampooned this in her '93/'94 New Year's Eve concert at the MGM Grand[disambiguation needed ] in which Myers, lampooning Richman, appeared. After claiming to be verklempt, "Linda" said, "The Prince of Tides is neither about a Prince nor tides – discuss."

:bigsmile:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Maybe.

Barbra Streisand of "Funny Girl"," Hello Dolly", "The Owl and the Pussycat" "On a Clear Day"and so many more, I loved. I love her voice. I loved that she was beautiful in an unusual way and she owned it. Who could forget her singing "Don't Rain on my Parade"?

I really loved "The way We Were" and some others. But, she really lost me with Yentl. I couldn't believe anyone would think she was a boy and she was just too old for the role. I thought she should have directed someone else in the part. And in "Prince of Tides" she was downright annoying.

I really don't care about her politics or any celebrity's politics, but what does impress me is how much money she's raised for charity, and for that God bless her. And, she loves dogs. People who love animals, like people who love people, are usually okay in my book.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Streisand lampooned this in her '93/'94 New Year's Eve concert at the MGM Grand[disambiguation needed ] in which Myers, lampooning Richman, appeared. After claiming to be verklempt, "Linda" said, "The Prince of Tides is neither about a Prince nor tides – discuss."

I remember watching that special on DVD and thinking 'you go, Barbra!' and liking she could poke fun at herself that way!

Friends of mine were getting married and I wanted a different wedding gift for them, so I wrote to a few celebrities that they both liked... and who do you think sent me a signed 8x10 glossy, autographed with THEIR NAMES ON IT??? Yes, indeed, Babs herself! That alone made her shoot up to the top of my list! Class act! (and the guys were impressed beyond BELIEF that their names were written by her!)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1336167499|3187770 said:
Streisand lampooned this in her '93/'94 New Year's Eve concert at the MGM Grand[disambiguation needed ] in which Myers, lampooning Richman, appeared. After claiming to be verklempt, "Linda" said, "The Prince of Tides is neither about a Prince nor tides – discuss."

I remember watching that special on DVD and thinking 'you go, Barbra!' and liking she could poke fun at herself that way!

Friends of mine were getting married and I wanted a different wedding gift for them, so I wrote to a few celebrities that they both liked... and who do you think sent me a signed 8x10 glossy, autographed with THEIR NAMES ON IT??? Yes, indeed, Babs herself! That alone made her shoot up to the top of my list! Class act! (and the guys were impressed beyond BELIEF that their names were written by her!)

What an awesome present! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:praise: Thanks Danny! yes, they were so impressed! It sits on their fireplace mantel in a 'shrine of honour'! I was so thrilled when I got that back from her... and kind of surprised that the "lesser known" celebrities I wrote to, did nothing, but here's this megastar personalizing a photo. Cool!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results