carat
color
clarity

Local dealers in LA area?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm hoping to get a few pointers on places to visit that would carry a bigger selection than pawn shoppes of old cuts. I know Lang's is in SF, but I can't get to SF anytime soon and want to go browsing with the SO.

We're going to Beverly Hills area in about a week or two, and wanted to take advantage of our travel there. There's a lot of old money there, so I'm wondering if there are any consigners or dealers in that area that could have taken in some pretties from old, retired folks?

TIA!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Craig Evan Small. La Cienega north of Melrose. Have been there, nice stuff, small shop.

Claude Morady, Beverly Hills. Have not been there but good reviews.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't Grace from Jewels by Erica Grace in LA?
They have a great selection not sure how big, but you would get some really nice looking old cuts there.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TGal. I think I'll pay Claude M. a visit when I'm in BH. Taking advantage of a day there anyway! :) Never heard of Craig Evan Small.. good to know. Got to add that all on my to-do list of places to pay visits to!

VinJewels - JbEG lists being in Seattle and in LA.. do they have a B&M location? I know Erica posts on here quite a bit, and is super nice, but I totally thought they're an online-only dealer? I don't mind purchasing online, but I want to bring SO to see old cuts.. I don't think he's convinced yet in their uniqueness and beauty, and their "glowy-ness".

Thanks Mayk, I just recently discovered 1st dibs.. my jaw dropped to the floor and I'm drooling at a lot of those beauties!!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
What Erica said...I had heard of Grace meeting with couples to show them stones in person. I think Grace would be great to meet with and I want to just go and spend an entire day in Singlestone's store. I totally trust Erica and Grace's eyes on picking a stone and have heard the same about Ari. I have spoken to him on the phone and he's very endearing and has some amazing sparklies too.
Have fun!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
You've already been given some great suggestions, but wanted to +1 for JBEG...totally trust their eyes and have amazing stones.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's one little thing though: I'm still in the process of convincing SO of older cuts. He doesn't "see the difference". I think faceting differences get him all confused. That's why I'd like to drag him into a store to see them before he goes and surprises me with something else! Not that I'd mind a H&A, but I want him to at least consider the beautiful faceting of an OEC/Tranny..

TGAL- guess what? His surgery center is on the same block as Claude Morady.!! What a coinkydink. They were closed today while I was walking around, so I just ate next door. By the time they opened, SO had to be babysat :devil: so I couldn't get a chance to browse. He has a follow up appointment tomorrow, and if he feels well enough, I'll use it as an excuse to go in. If not, there's always the 1-week follow up :saint:

EricaD - thank you so much for offering to meet with me. Since I'm not in the "buying" stages yet, I don't want to burden you guys with the educating process by dragging you out! I have this weird guilt thing where I feel like I am wasting people's times if I don't buy.. 8) I've showed him plenty of your inventory that's on smug hug, and your videos have been a HUGGEEEE assistance. But I'm still getting that blank look from him.. very similar to the blank look I give him when he tries to show me the difference between 2 sport cars!!

I'm totally intimidated by jewelry stores :errrr: I feel like I'll fall in love with everything, and will be so sad when I go home.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you're just going for looksies (and not to buy) there's a great pawn shop at the corner of Canon and Little Santa Monica that has a pretty big supply. They're WAAAAY over priced though so don't fall in love!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1336167727|3187773 said:
If you're just going for looksies (and not to buy) there's a great pawn shop at the corner of Canon and Little Santa Monica that has a pretty big supply. They're WAAAAY over priced though so don't fall in love!

Thanks! Do you know what the name of it is, so I can search up hours?

I didn't get to go with SO to his appointment today, so Claude Morady's will have to wait til next Friday :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't remember the name, but I'll go by some day next week (for research ;-)) and get the name for you.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
athenaworth|1336198156|3188018 said:
I can't remember the name, but I'll go by some day next week (for research ;-)) and get the name for you.

I think you might be referring to Nadine Krakov?

I would definitely go to Craig Evan Small on La Cienega as they have an absolutely beautiful collection! Claude Morady is a lovely man, but they don't have a traditional storefront operation. It's more of an office where they bring out a collection of goods. You could also visit Excalibur which is on Olympic near Robertson in the Paper Bag Princess (a high end vintage clothing store).

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kennedy|1336230748|3188146 said:
athenaworth|1336198156|3188018 said:

I think you might be referring to Nadine Krakov?

I would definitely go to Craig Evan Small on La Cienega as they have an absolutely beautiful collection! Claude Morady is a lovely man, but they don't have a traditional storefront operation. It's more of an office where they bring out a collection of goods. You could also visit Excalibur which is on Olympic near Robertson in the Paper Bag Princess (a high end vintage clothing store).

Thanks Athenaworth! Haha it all started with that one pair of earrings I bought from you.. And now I'm smitten with vintage goodies :oP

Thanks Kennedy!!

Wow I have quite a list to follow up on. Thank you do much, everyone.

prettybowgirl

Rough_Rock
I want to add another vote for Craig Evan Small. Both Craig and Jennifer are fantastic and shopping there is a surprisingly low-pressure experience. We got our ering and wedding bands from them, as well as a pair of earrings and we've sent a few friends there who've all been very happy. Also, prices are really fair for what you're getting -- not low ebay prices, but not the higher Claude Morady either -- plus, you don't need an appointment.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
prettybowgirl|1336264279|3188370 said:
I want to add another vote for Craig Evan Small. Both Craig and Jennifer are fantastic and shopping there is a surprisingly low-pressure experience. We got our ering and wedding bands from them, as well as a pair of earrings and we've sent a few friends there who've all been very happy. Also, prices are really fair for what you're getting -- not low ebay prices, but not the higher Claude Morady either -- plus, you don't need an appointment.

thank you PBG for your rec and experience!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
I paid Claude Morady a visit 2 weeks ago, and will be meeting with Grace from JbEG this Friday. I also shot Adam at OWD an email. My heart and tummy are going pitter-patter. I've got a LOT of pressure on me since SO is adamant on it being my "forever" diamond. NO upgrades, NO trades.. unless we hit the lottery or something ridiculously impossible that creates a large sum of disposable income :naughty:

Are there any OEC/Tranny for Dummies, 101 -like thread out there? Guidelines? How do I know if it'll be a good performer, since there's no HCA Tool? I had purchased an idealscope a few months ago, when SO & I were still thinking about RBs.. Is this completely useless to me now?

Should I still pay Craig Evan Small a visit, too, to expand my choices?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
In LA, you can also go see Single Stone, SN Queens (both in the same building downtown), 23rd Street Jewelers (In Santa Monica)for OECs. Call them ahead of time to make an appt and to prepare choices for you. Wanna Buy a Watch on melrose also has some OECs and it's close to Claude Morady. I also second Excaliber - just drive down La Cienega to Olympic to see them (close). Also make an appt in order to have unrushed time. Single Stone is probably going to have the largest selection, because that's waht they specialize in.

The more stones you see in person the better you can judge - make to sure to take them over to a window to see how they perform in real life. Take your time, tell them you're just starting your search and figuring out what you like. Don't feel pressured.

If you absolutely love something, get a refund policy and take it to an appraiser. Patrick Davis is in Culver City, fairly close. Hop on the freeway or drive down La Cienega, make a right on Venice, Left on Sawtelle, Right onto Washington (I know the freeway system is scary to out of towners). :)

Have fun and report back! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to put in a plug for my guy....KFK Jewelers on W 3rd Street near the Grove...http://www.kfk.com/

I got my 3.55 OEC there many years ago. Here it is..[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-55-k-oec-belated-pics-t179915.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-55-k-oec-belated-pics-t179915.html[/URL]

He's got a decent selection of old cuts (actually, 90% of his stuff I think is old cuts..). When I was there he had just sold a 4.5+ ct for 6 figures! Sadly, it wasn't there anymore...

I know that many years ago he did Alanis Morrisette's ring....given to her by Ryan Reynolds who just married Black Lively. It's a small place but so many pretty things!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results