shape
carat
color
clarity

What "markup" would you pay for an ebay find?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've bumped my listings that many times, though. Most of the time I forget they're listed, and they only get listed 2-3 times before I get bored and don't bother relisting again. I've seen some items that have been up there for years, and those are probably things that the seller is still wearing, but would like to make some good money from a sale. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't hurt them either? Who knows!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1336025381|3186398 said:
I don't think I've bumped my listings that many times, though. Most of the time I forget they're listed, and they only get listed 2-3 times before I get bored and don't bother relisting again. I've seen some items that have been up there for years, and those are probably things that the seller is still wearing, but would like to make some good money from a sale. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't hurt them either? Who knows!
That's why I would never* buy something I've seen listed for years on DB. It could be in much worse condition than the photos indicate. Especially softer gems and metals.

Eh okay, "probably would avoid"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1335923041|3185261 said:
To be honest, not much.

I always get a kick out of people who think that they'll get near-retail for something when they list it......and I've watched several listings sit around languishing that way.

For me personally, it's nowhere near worth it to pay near-retail when I'm not getting the perks of retail - trade-up, return policy, and all the other accoutrements. That's like asking someone to pay the first-class airline ticket rate to sit in coach......epic fail.

I'm fine with a slight "I found it/bought it before you did" markup, but like you, T-Gal, I don't really care much to pay extra for what someone else's random jeweler thinks, and I certainly don't want to pay a ridiculous mark-up for that opinion that I didn't really ask for. If I wanted one at all, it would be from the guys I go to all the time that I trust in. But honestly, for old stones, I've seen hundred of old stones in person and am plenty confident in my own abilities to gauge them. With that and a good return policy, hard to go wrong. :)

I think the what Alj said is how I feel. I see people put retail stones for comps and I scratch my head thinking; I rather pay retail with the store where I can upgrade later. eta: a lot of the sellers in the preloved say All Sales Final too! I do think some people found some gorgeous stones with Old World and JBEG and of course SS.

oh and I do think if people got a deal and list it for a little bit higher, no big deal; when it is like double, etc, then I don't get it but it isn't for me to get anyway.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1335984578|3185863 said:
vintagelover229|1335983037|3185845 said:
I agree-there was this on piece listed on the bistro a long time ago that was platinum (beautiful setting) with moon side stones and a couple of other stones with a marquise amethyst center stone. Great price-I think 800.00 or so? It didn't sell even at a lowered price (if I could have bought it I would have) and then they took it apart and sold the setting separate from the side stones (which btw went very quickly since the side stones were antiques and beautiful) and the setting went quickly too. It broke my heart though since I wanted it so badly and would have kept it one piece. ;(

:oops: OMG MOST AWKWARD PS MOMENT EVER. :o I bought those side stones... the 4x3 half moons and teeny tiny baguettes? I had no idea about the original ring, though the seller did show me a picture and I assumed the amethyst had been chipped/cracked or something and that's why it was taken apart. *shame* Which I guess just serves to illustrate the reason why the old pieces get dismantled. I don't suppose I could... put them back?

So much shame right now omg. I am part of the problem, apparently! :errrr: :(( :oops:

(The stones were gifts for my mom for sidestones for her 30th anniversary ring though, so I kind of can't feel tooooooo bad about that, since I know how happy they made her. She couldn't figure out at all what she wanted but fell in love with those stones the moment she saw them with the center stone - a 4mm early rb that was her mother's e-ring stone.)

Bwhahahahah!

I'm so happy that they went to a good home :)

I don't go red with anger when I see a piece dismantled-but when it's something I would have kept in tact had I had the funds I just get a bit ;( :( inside.

I knew that once it was torn apart (she stated in her ad if the piece didn't sell it was coming apart) that the setting and side stones would go quickly. They were very unique and gorgeous.

I will say I hate paying mark ups. I troll ebay and everywhere waiting for the beer budget to come to me (in fact-I JUST missed out on a 5 stone rose cut diamond band for under 200.00 since my alarm didn't go ff) and I'd been waiting for a piece like that for 5 years. I don't think I'll ever get that shot again ;( :nono:

But I do it that way so I can have the collection that I have. I have a jeweler I use to do my work and he has estate pieces and I sold a band to him (paid 450.00-a diamond pave Liz C band that I bought off the bistro) for 250.00 (that hurt) and he marked it to 700.00 (18k WG) and he also bought a rose cut from someone (~.6-.7 carats) nice looking stone for around 1200.00 I think and set it into a pendant setting and it's over 3k. Had he set it differently I *might* have considered selling some pieces to get it but it's not my cup of tea-especially for this stone. But it might be perfect for someone else.

But I know if I wait long enough and search long enough the right deal will find it's way to me. If it's meant to be-it will be. If not I'll have dreams about it like I have with the rose cut band I missed out on... :roll:

I've attached a picture of the rose cut pendant. It's 3100.00 wo the chain .66 carat rose cut and ~.49 carats of side stones

e6554-300x225.jpg

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That rose cut looks like it's set really crooked

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results