shape
carat
color
clarity

Scoliosis... Do you have an experience you can share?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two nights.. of good sleep. I think the foam liner for the bed is helping greatly.. she was on her side this morning when I went in...

I am going to try and attach two pictures.. hopefully they are small enough...

She slipped it on over her dance costume last night so I could get a few pictures it's not over the normal shirt she wears with it...

In the front you can tell how much higher her left shoulder is than her right..

When I look at your pictures and then hers.. I'm amazed at how small the braces are today....she got to pick the colors.. she had about 25 designs to choose from..

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
What a cool-looking brace! Well....you know what I mean. It's fantastic that she had a choice of colors/designs. It's kind of like the rubber bands that kids can choose for their orthodontic braces: it gives them control over something that can be not-much-fun.

So far as the shape of the brace goes, from the photo you posted, I think the differences are due to where your daughter's curves are vs. where my DD's are. If your DD had a curve that extended into her lower lumbar region, I'm betting the brace would have to create more pressure on her lower hips to get correction. My DD's shoulders look fairly level, but one hip is visibly higher than the other. I would be very interested to hear what kind of correction the orthopedist calculates after the new x-rays with her in the brace.

Your DD is such a sweetie to allow you to take those photos and post them. I told my DD about this thread, and she said to send hugs, and to let your DD know that it's hard, but totally worth it if the bracing works.

So, so glad that your daughter is finally getting some sleep--and it's a great sign that she is moving around more naturally during the night. It sounds as though she's well on the way to normalizing, and that's a very good thing!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's had three good nights of sleep now... so I think we are on our way.... thank you so much for all your help!!!!

We go back today to the Orthodist and then next week the Orthopedic so.. I will keep you posted..

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very good news yesterday... Her shoulder has relaxed a little in just a week! He added padding, cut the opening in the Back so it's larger and gives more room for tightening and added padding under her left arm. She said it really felt different... I told her it was like her braces...no matter which doctor there would be adjustments and discomfort until she settled into the new positions.

X-rays next Thursday...very anxious to get those!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1336138043|3187360 said:
So very good news yesterday... Her shoulder has relaxed a little in just a week! He added padding, cut the opening in the Back so it's larger and gives more room for tightening and added padding under her left arm. She said it really felt different... I told her it was like her braces...no matter which doctor there would be adjustments and discomfort until she settled into the new positions.

X-rays next Thursday...very anxious to get those!

Hi Mayk, so glad you and your dd are doing better and that you both are finally getting some needed sleep! Great that her shoulder has relaxed a bit so quickly! Hope that means her progress overall will be quick and efficient! Wishing your daughter continued quick progress with relative ease and minimal discomfort!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's wonderful news, Mayk! That's got to be so reinforcing for your DD to know that the discomfort she has been in is paying off, even if it is early days still. She's being very brave, and fingers crossed that the orthopedist will have more good news for you next week after the in-brace x-rays.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies!!!! She's already settled into the adjustments.. no complaints.. after day one... I hope we can continue on this path!!!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
That's a relief that she's settling in. I have scoliosis and wore the Milwaukee brace for 3 years then the Boston for 2 years. Starting from 5th grade. It was a yucky time in my life. If you google Milwaukee brace you I'll see the most heinous looking contraption ever. I'm 42 now and still have a bit if an uneven back but no discomfort. Her brace is o awesomely cool looking. Hang in there Mayk,Sounds you're a great Mom and doing all you can to keep her comfortable!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't commented so far because I really had nothing helpful to contribute...but I just wanted to say I'm so glad your daughter is starting to adjust Mayk, I'll bet you're feeling pretty relieved! - this can be a rough time for girls as it is, and I'm really impressed by how well your daughter is adapting and coping with wearing the brace - I'll be honest, my daughter at this age was so self-conscious and worried about what her peers thought that I think I would have had trouble getting her to go to school! :sick:

I second what SandyCheeks said - you're a terrific mom, and kudos to your daughter for hanging in there! It's obviously not easy to wear a brace, I know if I had to wear one as an adult I'd be constantly complaining!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug & Sandycheeks.. thank you.... this kid truly is a trooper.. she's had a number of challenges since birth from Coloboma to Torticolis and placement plagiocephyly.... but she is growing up to be a beautiful young lady (even if her teenage years are all about making her mother crazy)... she has a tolerance and acceptance of others that is a beautiful thing... as for my role... I'm just trying to keep up, I know there is a great reason God only gave me one, he knew it was all I could handle :D

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had the appointment this week with the orthopedic surgeon. Very pleased... With the brace on it reduces the curve from 40 degrees to 31 degrees. He again told DD if she was diligent in wearing the brace surgery would not be needed. By stopping the curve at 40 degrees she would be in the acceptable limits. Also, gratefully she grew. She is now 4'11". We've been praying to exceed 5'. We are getting close. :appl:

Again, I can't thank the PS'ers enough for the support, suggestions and encouragement! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayK, that is such wonderful news!! Best wishes for continued improvement with relative comfort on the part of your daughter and also wishing you a very happy Mother's Day!!!!! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's great mayk! :appl: So glad to hear there's been improvement in a relatively short period of time! I bet the progress is encouraging to you both.

Have a very Happy Mother's day - you deserve it!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Mssy and Junebug... Happy mother's day to u too!

I read the note I posted... I just want to be sure I was clear... It will not correct her curve... But it should stop the progression. The best part is the pressure it puts on the curve it to stop the progression and the relief she gets on those muscles that are pulled with the curve .. We are feeling so positive if I can keep her in it.... So (not that I am counting) but we have 18 months to go.... diligence will be our friend!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE :appl: :appl: :appl:

Six month check up today. The curve has NOT progressed! If in the next six months it remains the same we are likely out of the woods... While she has to wear the brace for 12 more months as a precaution..the doctor still felt at that point in time (April'13) her long term prognosis would be good! She also (thank God!) reached 5'. We might get one more inch but she reached our goal!!! Very happy about this too! So she is 1/3 of the way through and doing great. So blessed!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such wonderful news MayK!!!! So happy for you and your daughter!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Such fantastic news!!! I'm so happy for you and your daughter!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk:

This is my first time seeing this thread and I am so sorry to hear that your daughter (and you) has to go through this at all - it is a tough age without things beyond your choice that make you appear different.

Congratulations on the good news! You must be very proud of your daughter :appl:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! Glad to hear treatment is going well for your daughter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results