shape
carat
color
clarity

color for platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blondie

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
I am sure this topic has been covered before, but I am interested to know your opinions on an I colored diamond in an platinum setting. I am from the UK and coming to US in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to taking advantage of the excellent (in our case
30.gif
) exchange rate!! I have got lots of ideas from websites of dealers and of course this very informative site, but although I will be seeing the stones in person, I would be grateful if you could let me know of your experiences with an I color in platinum.....am considering the G-I range 1.7carat+ either SI1 or SI2 (obviously eyeclean!) From my research so far, it would suggest that a G or H color would look better with platinum, but would I maybe be able to go up in size, forsaking a G or H color? Thanks so much in advance and looking forward to any responses!!! x
37.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
If the diamond is very well cut, it should be fine. An I color might show a slight warmth from the side, but face up, it will be very white (again, if it is cut very well so all you see is sparkle).

I have a bunch of H diamonds in platinum and I can't see any color (see avatar), even in bright lights.

If you find the perfect I diamond, I'd go for it.
1.gif

Also, look through this thread for many examples of different colored stones in different metals: Eye Candy

blondie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jennifer! I really can''t wait to have a look at stones now - only a few weeks left! Will definitely stress importance of the cut and compare the stones in different color ranges. I currently have a fairly small but beautiful D color and my husband and I (even though I am dragging him!) are going to check out some larger stones. I love my D but I really would like a BIGGER diamond and am happy to compromise on color!
1.gif

blondie

Shiny_Rock
Ok....Have just checked out Eye Candy! WOW! What a great idea to have soooo many pics of e-rings!
36.gif
I found this interesting sa there are quite a few platinum settings with I colors and also lots of Gs and Hs - face up there really is no difference at all! That doesn''t mean to say that I won''t be doing a vigorous comparison when it comes to seeing the stones though
2.gif
It does, however give me great confidence to look at bigger stones of H and especially I colors!
4.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

I have a 1.25 carat J set in plat and Sevens One just got a gorgeous 2 carat K.

Link to my J Thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-to-my-first-new-diamond-ring.12179/

Link to Sevens'' K thread:

[url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/o-k-its-a-k-okay.22748/]https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/o-k-its-a-k-okay.22748/

Fire and Ice, a regular here, has a 3 carat I color diamond.

As Jennifer said above, CUT is the key. Well cut diamonds face up very white and bright. You can most definitely maximize your diamond buying budget by considering I/J and even K color diamonds.

On the clarity issue,.......... There are some lucky folks here that have bought some gorgeous I1 diamonds. Diamonds with ONE grade defining inclusion that is "hidden" by the cut or located where it is covered by the mount. So that''s something for you to consider as well.

Good luck with your hunt and have fun oogling diamonds!!
1.gif

[/URL]

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed, those samples that PQ pointed out are very beautiful and look great in platinum.

I do think a lot of it depends on personal preference. Personally I''ll trade clarity for color to a certain extent. I prefer the "cooler" look of more colorless diamonds and find my personal cut off is probably "I". I bought a well cut stone in "J" GIA grade and sent it back because I didn''t like the tone of the stone. That being said, I''d take PQs, 7-1s or F&Is stones in a heartbeat
9.gif

If you can go and look at some in different settings and lighting conditions to see what your personal preferences are.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fire and Ice, a regular here, has a 3 carat I color diamond.

Fire and Ice''s diamond has flouresence (sp?) which makes her diamond look whiter so this is another option for you if you decide to go w/an I (or J).

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I just recently bought a great I1 diamond with an F color. The inclusion are hidden by the prong and the cut. I was willing to sacrifice clarity for color because I tend to pick up color quite easily. I always noticed a faint tint of yellow in my H stone. I was a bit hesitant to purchase an I1, just because I knew it would be visibly flawed. However, when I saw ''my'' diamond and realized the main inclusion could be hidden by a prong, I didn''t hesitate much because I was not only getting a F color but also a 2.19 carat diamond. I never though I would own a 2 carat diamond. Here is my new ring. Sorry the pictures aren''t that great.

newring.jpg
newringside.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results