shape
carat
color
clarity

Checkboxes on Pricescope Price Comparison Engine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having trouble understanding exactly how the "H&A" and "AGS0" checkboxes function on Pricescope's price comparison engine. When searching with both "H&A" and "AGS0" selected, fewer results are returned than when searching with only "AGS0" selected. And when searching with only "AGS0" selected, fewer results are returned than when searching with neither selected.

This seems reasonable but when I tested this to understand how it works, I noticed some odd behavior. A hearts and arrows diamond that was found when both were selected appeared again in the list when only "AGS0" was selected but did not appear in the list when neither box was selected. However, an "AGS0" only diamond did appear in the list when neither was selected.

Is this how it works (I really have no idea): Both selected returns only AGS0 hearts and arrows diamonds, only "AGS0" selected returns AGS0 diamonds including hearts and arrows, and neither selected returns all but AGS0 hearts and arrows diamonds?

To further confuse the issue, searches with both "H&A" and "AGS0" selected return diamonds that their vendors declare not to be hearts and arrows diamonds. How is a diamond classified as a hearts and arrows diamond for the purposes of this search?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
In the search engine I used a few criteria:

1. if a vendor (retailer or wholesaler) states that a diamond is H&A or has AGS0 proportions (e.g. in comments)
2. A diamond can be GIA certified but have vendor comments such as AGS0, Sarin 0, etc. meaning it has AGS0 proportions
3. I tried to filter diamonds so that H&A marked diamonds should also have AGS0 proportions...

there might be some bugs of course so I need examples, please? what search criteria do you use?

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
The parameters I used when I noticed this are as follows: Carat (1.01-1.01), Color (G-G), Clarity (SI1-SI1).

Both checkboxes selected returns only one result. This diamond is also found when searching with only the "AGS0" box checked but is not returned when neither box is checked.

The same search yeilds this diamond with "AGS0" selected and also appears when no boxes are checked.

A search under the default parameters with both "H&A" and "AGS0" selected yields several Whiteflash diamonds that aren't A Cut Above and so are not by the vendor's own standards hearts and arrows diamonds.

I've just noticed when composing this reply that the search with neither box checked seems to cut off the higher priced results. This would explain why the higher quality diamonds are not returned by this search.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
No problem. Again, I think the main problem is that it''s cutting off the higher priced results for some reason.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at another sample (1.00-1.01ct, D-Z, IF-I3, H&A, AGS0) and found that about 28% of the results were not AGS0 hearts and arrows diamonds.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
A few guesses/thoughts about this:

1) Though not specified, I take it you''re talking about this big "search by quality" (and not search by cut) database.
2) I sort of presume that, per your last sort, SI, referencing a classic entry from USA Certed, with the field populated "other notes," such fields actually come standard with each of the diamonds in this database to Pricescope, that Leonid sorts on this sort of field, but that -- since what is then displayed when pulling up the vendors record is the specific vendor''s presentation of the data, that field may not be included by the vendor.
3) This entry from DCD is hard to square with the sort based on H&A & AGS0, if DCD itself only classified the diamond as average in cut
4) This entry from DCD is not included in the Pricescope sort, consistent with my conclusions that this database mostly picks up diamonds not in house with the vendors.
5) I''m guessing this database can otherwise be tweaked, however, explaining why this A Cut Above diamond is included in this presentation, despite the fact that it is in house with WF.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I was using the "Quick Search" funtion. The USA Certed diamond you mention was counted as being hearts and arrows. If I remember correctly, and that''s a big if, three of the diamonds misidentified as AGS0 hearts and arrows were from Dirt Cheap Diamonds (including the one you cite) while the rest were non A Cut Above Whiteflash diamonds.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
SI, interesting how Pricescope has all these angles; not sure how you''d come in to the view of Quicksearch you show in your link, without your link. From the Forum view, hit "home" to get there, and you see it at the left. Also, it''s above as "Pricescope your diamond" & the "E-vendor" link. Regardless, once executed, it morphs into the one I''ve called "search by quality," and I understand in substance they''re both the same.

Hopefully, Leonid will confirm the source of the data, though I think he''s said as much in his first original response...that he just picks it up from a comments field, I think such as found in the USA Certed listing.

Obviously, the main question becomes...how good is this data altogether. In large part, it was discussed here, too.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
See that "Prices" link at the top of the page between "Forum" and "Knowledge"?
37.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ah....yes, now that you showed me...but only after looking at all the items on the drop down, and wondering how I was missing it!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2004 12
6.gif
9:57 PM
Author: Superidealist
The parameters I used when I noticed this are as follows: Carat (1.01-1.01), Color (G-G), Clarity (SI1-SI1).

Both checkboxes selected returns only one result. This diamond is also found when searching with only the ''AGS0'' box checked but is not returned when neither box is checked.
Ok, sorry it took so long to go through it but I made a few technical improvements on the way.

This result is logical because number of the data rows is limited to 200 (just to save the server resources and the searching time). Therefore, if a diamond is more expensive (as this one AGS certed H&A) and there are more than 200 matched diamonds (336 in that case) you won''t see it unless you either narrow your search criteria (e.g. table, depth, or lab).

Total number of matched diamonds is shown at the top of the search results now.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2004 12
6.gif
9:57 PM
Author: Superidealist

The same search yeilds this diamond with ''AGS0'' selected and also appears when no boxes are checked.

A search under the default parameters with both ''H&A'' and ''AGS0'' selected yields several Whiteflash diamonds that aren''t A Cut Above and so are not by the vendor''s own standards hearts and arrows diamonds.

I''ve just noticed when composing this reply that the search with neither box checked seems to cut off the higher priced results. This would explain why the higher quality diamonds are not returned by this search.
that diamond is cheaper and has a better chance to be included into first 200 results.

I understand that these stones are not ACA but since they are commented as H&A by suppliers there is still a chance they might have a good symmetry so I flag them as H&A. Those who are very particular about H&A symmetry can inquire about H&A image
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results