shape
carat
color
clarity

ideal-scope - beginner vs expert model

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I am planning to buy an ideal-scope. Can anyone tell the difference between beginner vs expert models. I read that beginner is 6x while expert is 10x. Other than that is beginner as good as expert one?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I never quite understood the point of the expert one. Other than it looking more professional. But, as a casual consumer, I didn''t get it. Why do you need the extra magnification? Isn''t the point of the Ideal-Scope to find light leakage. Basically, you''re looking for changes in color. Why do you need more magnification for that?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The expert model has a glass lens that is less subject to scratching over extended use. The extra magnification is useful when examining very small stones but otherwise doesn''t really do much for you. As a consumer, buy the cheaper model.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tend to use the plastic version most of the time. If I want to show an I-S image to someone less skilled with a magnifier, I let thgem use the expert model because the optics are clearly better and the feel of the instrument is more substantial. It is easier to hold a heavier magnifer relatively still. For general work, the beginner (The "basic" model) is a very useful tool. The expert model feels and looks more professional grade but functionally is pretty much the same as the less costly tool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results