shape
carat
color
clarity

Round diamond w/out culet - jagged underneath??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has insight on this. I''m not buying a ring, but I was just looking with my friend who is shopping for an ering. We saw a ring at a mall jeweler, and the center stone is really strangely cut. I think it''s supposed to be a RB cut, which it looks like from the top (with white inclusion - type stuff in the middle). When viewed from the side, though, it has NO culet/point at the bottom. It''s not a smooth bottom - it looks more like rough that no one ever bothered to polish. Has anyone ever seen this before? Obviously I know it''s a bad cut, but does the cutter do this on purpose? I just don''t get it how they could sell that. Hope you all had a great New Year!
26.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds intriging... is the whole pavilion rugged like that or just the tip ? No idea what the first version might be, but a rough patch instead of culet sounds like a damaged culet. It happens - aside the girdle that''s the most fragile point, only it never gets exposed to shock in settings. With some luck, the culet may get chipped when the stone is loose.

It could be that there is a "natural" on the tip (really an unpolished patch of the original piece of rough)... although I don''t remember to have found any such thing on anything but very low clarity stuff (whatever unfortunately gets cut in traditional jewelry shapes but shouldn''t).

Either way, the offending tip can be polished off and might have been if the respective shop wasn''t expecting to sell it anyway
7.gif

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
It''s weird - it''s more than just the culet that''s rough. It looked to me like someone had smashed the end off, about halfway down the pavilion . It''s really strange. They were selling the ring btw - trying to get us to buy it. Scary, huh?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It sounds to me that the diamond has a chipped culet.
Not a good thing!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2005 8:54:51 PM
Author: KSparkles
It''s weird - it''s more than just the culet that''s rough.
40.gif
Aren''t those stones supposed to become someone''s cherished jewel ?
39.gif

The story seems to come from a completely different planet than the H&A...

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I have an older diamond (pre-1940) that has an OPEN culet/that''s the way they used to cut them ....it is a small stone, but very clean and nice...the education section on PS talsk about this under culet....However, I don''t believe it is "Jagged"...it''s not broken, but the way they used to cut stones..............

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2005 9
6.gif
6:47 PM
Author: dimonbob
It sounds to me that the diamond has a chipped culet.

Not a good thing!

That''s what it sounds like to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results