shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for wisdom and guidance on diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JennW

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

This is such an informative site. I was wondering if one of you could look at the following specs and tell me if you think these diamonds are a good buy for the price or if I should keep searching for that perfect three stone ring.

Here are the specs:

3 stone, emerald cut, t.c.w. .99 ct., Color: H, Clarity VS1,VS2, Polish: Good, Symmetry: Good, Platinum mounting weighing in total approx. 4.5 DWT, stamped PLAT & Logo, containing 3 natural diamonds: two at .24 ct. ea., one at .51 (center stone)

My husband found this ring and can purchase it for $2200.00. Does this sound like a good price for this ring? It is absolutely beautiful. The diamonds are clear and bright and the setting is gorgeous. It is a copy of Tiffany''s Lucida mounting.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks!

Jenn Walker

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenny:

There is probably not enough information in what you have posted to tell, even though I am not an expert on emerald cuts. My reading has indicated that the emerald people need some more information than just size (angles, debth, etc).

However, there are several things you can do to make a stab at it....

Price out similar size, color, clarity diamonds here on pricescope to see if you are anywhere near the range. Keep in mind that actual stores may have markups of 50% to 100% higher on the diamonds (which is not necessarily unreasonable depending...).

The setting probably cost $500 - $1000 depending...

I would want to look at it in mormal light to see how well it sparkles (not in jewelry store lighting).

I personally would idealscope the diamonds, and for comparison I believe that there are somewhere some idealscope pictures on "good" emerald diamonds somewhere ( I would check the Good Old Gold site), and would search pricescope. However, I have an idealscope.

All in all, this may be an acceptable deal - especially if the diamonds sparkle in normal light.

Keep in mind that many here on pricescope work on sqeezing the last few dollars out on a purchase like this. It is acceptable to decide to pay a higher price for what you want at a local store. It is your ring and your money.

Hope this helps.

Perry

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
People would need more info on the stones to give you an informed opinion. Dimensions, table %, depty %, crown %, girdle thickness on each diamond.

Just an FYI note for you,........

"Comparable" diamonds currently available by PS Vendors. Sides would cost you about $450 each. The center stone around $1100.

Plat mount available from a PS Vendor, $800-$1000.

Total build it yourself ring cost, about $2800-$3000. That's without getting into the nitty gritty of sourcing known well cut stones.

PS Vendors work on very low profit margins, offering quality diamonds and mounts, and stones are set by skilled smiths.

Perry made a good suggestion for you. Get the ring away from the jeweler's lighting and see how bright and lively the stones really are.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results