shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me how I did on my purchase today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rlk204

Rough_Rock
Ok I purchased a ring today in NYC in the downtown diamond district through a store that a friend referred to me when he purchased there a few months ago. I educated myself on this awesome website and using good ol google and all the referred sites on many posts here. Since I was on a time constraint and I knew what I wanted, I was able to skip through a lot of b.s.ing with merchants and couldn''t wait for internet purchases. My search has taken about a week but I made the plunge today. Please tell me what you think.

Shape: Asscher / Sq. Emerald
Carats: 0.93
Clarity: VS1
Color: F
Measmnts: 5.92 x 5.72 x 3.45 mm
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 70.0%
Girdle: Extremely Thin -Medium
Culet: N
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluor: None
Certified: GIA

This set in a 14K White Gold Tiffany Style with side tapered baguettes total weight .23k (for baguettes)

Total Cost = $4500

PS. I will post some pictures in a short bit.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
34.gif
You may want to compare the price with quotes on the database above: with a dozen or so seller's participating, there is quite a range for each set of specs so the refference is quite unbiased.

IMO, assuming the settng was as little as $500, 4k is still ok for the stone.

70% table is not typical for the traditional Asscher cut (perhaps the reversed numbers - 70% depth & 60% table would have come close to that definition). This doesn't mean that the stone is not appealing and brilliant. That, you have seen already
1.gif

"Extremely thin" girdle needs insurance. Really.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dont be insulted but im not going to blow smoke your way.
There are some issues you need to be aware of.

Girdle: Extremely Thin -Medium is not good.
There are some serious duribility issues with extremely thin girdles.
With the rest of the numbers I dought it will have the classic asscher look but if you love it then so be it.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
The price doesn''t sound bad to me. Hopefully the girdle won''t be an issue. If you like the ring and feel like the price was fair then sit back and relax. The only thing accomplished by any negative .02 is to produce anxiety for you, especially if you are not in a position to return the ring and start over. Just trust your eyes. You should have learned by reading here that buying by the numbers can lead you to a beautiful diamond but also that some diamonds defy the numbers and are breathtaking anyway.

Congratulations to you and your future fiancee!

rlk204

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I was reading around and was aware that the depth should be around the same or other way around where the depth was a bigger percentage than the table percentage. The reason I chose this one was because it looked more like an emerald cut than another stone the store had. The store had another stone (specs below) which was very comperable in price and the only reason I chose the one I did was because the stone below from eye view looked liked a princess cut which I was trying to avoid. The stone below itself was beautiful and more octagonal which I liked but when he tested in the setting, it didn''t really matter, both stone shapes looked the same in the 4 prong setting. Another reason I chose the stone I did was because the dimensions gave it the appearance that it was bigger than it was (Not that size matters to me but some women do care
emsmile.gif
). Do you think the stone below would be a better value?

Shape: Asscher / Sq. Emerald
Carats: 1.05
Clarity: VVS2
Color: H
Measmnts: 5.61 x 5.49 x 3.78 mm
Depth: 68.9%
Table: 59.0%
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: N
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluor: None
Certified: GIA

rlk204

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately.. I couldn''t get the pics to upload on this site due to size restrictions...

Try this link out...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rlk204/album?.dir=/75c5&.src=ph&.tok=phkZCTCBcTckAH9b

BTW... anyone have advice on how to get good digital photos of rings/diamonds... like what settings (White balance, ISO, etc) to take pictures of these. I had to take a lot of pics before I could get one to come out decent...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!!

BTW- I just posted in a thread where someone put their hand in a scanner and the pictures came out fantastic. It might be worth a try.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! This is deep enough to dive right in.
9.gif
Congratulations for the find !
Love the shape: those barely clipped corners are not too usual. Great looks...

I have not noticed the "extremely thin" girdle at first. I would not call that reason enough to dismiss a perfectly beautiful diamond. It just needs insurance - something good to have regardless. If you totally hate the idea that this darling may ever get chipped, a cuters's opinion (and perhaps slight intervention) would undo the respective detail.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring. I think you did very well. You knew what you wanted and it sounds as if you did your homework. Insure that baby and have fun proposing.

Shay

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I uploaded one of the pics to use in this thread. Do you have a digital camera with a macro mode (looks like a flower)? If you do use it to take pictures, use a program like Adobe Photoshop to crop them, then upload them onto this forum with the "attach file" option.
5.gif

rlk204ring.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
You did a wonderful job and she will be thrilled! Congrats! And yes, get that gorgeous baby insured
16.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful and classic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results