shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
I have been reading your posts enjoying them alot.

what i understand there were many years since last time MT wore this set
how many parts are there in this set?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1335272967|3179305 said:
Neat find -- story about pearl & diamond earrings originally bought by King Carroll of Romania. Beautiful!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...idnt-like-tipped-raise-thousands-auction.html

Gabriellehb|1335274349|3179320 said:
Just came across this example of another royal jewel. Gee if I was left them they certainly wouldn't be too garish for my taste. There's no way I would leave them languishing at the back of a drawer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...idnt-like-tipped-raise-thousands-auction.html

Garish?!? A most classical pair of pear drop earrings is described as garish? I wonder what the old lady considered to be nice and elegant...
By the way, I do wonder which jewellery house made them? I don't think this is mentioned in the article. Perhaps it is not known?

On onother note, I find it interesting that Carol II's mother, Queen Maria, and his second wife, Queen Elena (nee of Gr&Dk) each wore a pair of earrings that was very similar to the one now offered on auction. However, Queen Elena's earrings were also worn by her sister Irene (as they did with some other jewels) and I'm not sure which sister actually owned them...

Perhaps the two most famous outings of these earrings were at the christening of the future King Mihai I and for one of HM's portraits by de Laszlo:
mariaromania%20pearls.jpg

Regina-mamă Elena:
ElenaDiamond%20Tiara.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine|1335291947|3179566 said:
I have been reading your posts enjoying them alot.

what i understand there were many years since last time MT wore this set
how many parts are there in this set?

As far as I can tell, the parure consists of the bandeau, a large necklace, pair of earrings, bracelet (and a spare pendant?).

Here one can see the late Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte wearing the complete parure at the gala before the 60th birthday of Margrethe II in 2000 - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...ebrates-60th-birthday-in-news-photo/113928756

What I find interesting is that despite not being worn often, the parure shows once or twice in a decade - in the 1980s on Maria Teresa, in the early 1990s on Princess Margaretha, in 2000 on the Grand Duchess and then 11 years later on her granddaughter.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1335215359|3178735 said:
This night at the State Banquet in Berlin HRH The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg wore Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte's citrine and diamond bandeau, earrings, bracelet and pendant (part of the much larger necklace?). The tiara was last seen on Princess Alxandra of Luxembourg at the banquet for the national day last year.

Bobby

Two corrections:
First - the name of the Grand Duchal couple's only daughter in properly spelled Alexandra
Secondly - the bandeau and the rest of the parure is composed of large citrines/topazes and small pearls. There are no diamonds in the jewels.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, should be doing paperwork but here I sit. Anyway another website: hrhduchesskate.com posted a picture of some ear rings I have never seen before and stated they were the ones Catherine wore to the African Lions benefit. I guess I just assumed she wore her Christmas present from William since they are obviously not just diamonds or any costume I have seen her wear before. What are your thoughts, do we maybe have another new piece of bling !?!?!? Is it too much to hope for that she is starting to pry open her jewelery box? Yes there is an economic recession, I get it, but I fear she is going to be just like Charlene of Monaco and wear minimal jewels.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Great news!!! I just read that HRH Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg is engaged to be marred to Stéphanie de Lannoy, his longtime girlfriend.
While waiting for the official announcement from the Grand Ducal Palace, you can enjoy the photos & videos here:
http://lifestyle.rtl.lu/entertainment/society/234509.html

And a photo from the recent State Visit to Germany, where HRH accompanied his parents TRH the Grand Duke & the Grand Duchess:
http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/ph...e-etat-allemagne/visite-etat-allemagne-10.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1335404569|3181045 said:
Hello everyone, should be doing paperwork but here I sit. Anyway another website: hrhduchesskate.com posted a picture of some ear rings I have never seen before and stated they were the ones Catherine wore to the African Lions benefit. I guess I just assumed she wore her Christmas present from William since they are obviously not just diamonds or any costume I have seen her wear before. What are your thoughts, do we maybe have another new piece of bling !?!?!? Is it too much to hope for that she is starting to pry open her jewelery box? Yes there is an economic recession, I get it, but I fear she is going to be just like Charlene of Monaco and wear minimal jewels.

Yes, there are photos of Catherine where the earrings are visible and they are indeed the peridot and blue topaz earrings that you mention, laurensmama! Just like the earrings that the Duchess of Cambridge wore at the Christmas service (we can only speculate if the Duke geve them to her!), they are made by Kiki McDonough. They went nicely with HRH's outfit. Naturally, we don't know when or how the Duchess aquired them.

PS: the title of the film is African Cats ;-)

Bobby

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Anyone get a chance to watch Princess Diana:Her Life in Jewels on BBC America? It has lots of nice close ups of her jewelry. Besides getting to wear British royal jewels some of her signature pieces were actually gifts from the Saudi Royal family. And one thing I didn't know before was that she liked to mix costume jewelry into her collection.

Teriann

Rough_Rock
innerkitten|1335452437|3181395 said:
Anyone get a chance to watch Princess Diana:Her Life in Jewels on BBC America? It has lots of nice close ups of her jewelry. Besides getting to wear British royal jewels some of her signature pieces were actually gifts from the Saudi Royal family. And one thing I didn't know before was that she liked to mix costume jewelry into her collection.
;( I didn't even know it was on

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

I saw this one on-line a few years ago. It was rather nice if you don't know details about some of the jewels. If you do, however, one can pick some inaccuraties. If I remeber correctly, they misidentified the King Khalid & the King Faisal necklaces and two different pairs of earrings were said to have been presents from the Emir of Quatar, when in fact on was a present from Collingwood.
I believe Lady Maria has seen more recently, so she may want to comment as well.
Perhaps I shall see try to find it on YouTube to see if I can find more faults :razz:

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine|1335473744|3181725 said:
could one replace the pendents of the Connaught Tiara
with pearls or other stones?
http://i218.hosting site images not allowed/albums/cc25/claudiams18/joyas%20reales/sweden/cannaught/3d0c0a21.jpg

As we know, the Connought tiara's diamond pendants are detachable, thus it would be very easy to replace them with (lets say) pearshaped pearls. Only 5 pearls (or other stones - briolette aquas, f.e.) would be needed and I gather that the Bernadotte foundation has just the right amount ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1335427720|3181232 said:
Great news!!! I just read that HRH Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg is engaged to be marred to Stéphanie de Lannoy, his longtime girlfriend.
While waiting for the official announcement from the Grand Ducal Palace, you can enjoy the photos & videos here:
http://lifestyle.rtl.lu/entertainment/society/234509.html

And a photo from the recent State Visit to Germany, where HRH accompanied his parents TRH the Grand Duke & the Grand Duchess:
http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/ph...e-etat-allemagne/visite-etat-allemagne-10.jpg

Bobby

And the announcement is very short but clear, again in French:

Leurs Altesses Royales le Grand-Duc et la Grande-Duchesse, ont la très grande joie d’annoncer les fiançailles de Leur fils, Son Altesse Royale le Prince Guillaume, Grand-Duc Héritier, avec la Comtesse Stéphanie de Lannoy.

You can find it here with some info on how you can congratulate the couple:
http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/evenements/2012/04/gdh-fiancailles/index.html

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1335451069|3181384 said:
She is a very accomplished lady, Bobby. I'm impressed. Here is a bio for those who don't read French: http://lux-arazzi.blogspot.com/2012/04/future-hereditary-grand-duchess.html

She is indeed! Comtesse Stéphanie even speaks some Russian (or at least studied), which is very rare in royal families today. I can only think of Prince Michael of Kent and the members of the Russian royal family from today's royal world... Her privileged background certainly shows in the education she had received, as well as the young Countess' interests ;-)

Princess Mathilde wore some beautiful bling at the European Business Summit dinner in Brussels. Earrings & bracelet are so spectacular, are they costume or real? Has she worn them before? Gorgeous, either way.

As much as I hate seeing bold costume jewels on people who can certainly afford (and own!) fine real examples, I must say that this pair is rather nice. Certainly this time the Duchess of Brabant picked better jewels ;-)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It's just my personal opinion but I think that the constructive criticism/ disappointment surrounding Catherine and jewels so far would be greatly alleviated if she were "given" the exquisite family Cartier tiara she wore when she was married, much as Diana was "given" the pearl tiara Diana was known for along with the Spencer tiara she was "lent." It makes perfect sense to me because it looks great on her, and yet it is very discreet.

I don't want to see an aristocratic semblance of a career woman who wears minimal jewels with no tiara emblematic of her, and "important" pieces being worn very rarely, and even then not thematically within a group, as Diana did with the sapphires she was given. I realize that Catherine married the next in line to the Prince of Wales, not the Prince of Wales, I realize that she probably wasn't given nearly as much as Diana was, and I realize that these are economically hard times for many. I still think that royalty should look like royalty.

I believe that this could be done discreetly, but I don't believe that Catherine is being afforded much opportunity to accomplish it. Catherine is 30. She is old enough to put her hair back and wear jewels. Diana was only 6 years older than Catherine when she died. Catherine is not anywhere near where Diana was in terms style and substance in jewels at the same age. My personal opinion is that whoever makes these decisions is leaning too far to the conservative side in not letting the public see royal jewels on Catherine and in letting Catherine become identified with them.

I think whoever is making these decision is trying to present William and Catherine as being as "normal" as possible. "Normal" is not want I want to see. I want to see royal jewels. I want to see Catherine doing something other than wearing bits and pieces of this and that, here and there. I don't feel that there has been enough leeway given to her. I think the perfect way to start would be, as I said, for her to wear the Cartier tiara. I'd also like to see more substantial, more formal jewels, not just one substantial piece being worn by itself rarely.

I've read many similar thoughts and ideas about Catherine and jewels on other sites, so I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. Basically, she's a beautiful, young woman, and royalty. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on "royalty" and "jewels". One can hope.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Teriann|1335469672|3181649 said:

It's on YouTube.

Teriann

Rough_Rock
Imdanny|1335512915|3182038 said:
Teriann|1335469672|3181649 said:

It's on YouTube.

Then I will find it on youtube at lunch :)

Teriann

Rough_Rock
Imdanny|1335512283|3182035 said:
It's just my personal opinion but I think that the constructive criticism/ disappointment surrounding Catherine and jewels so far would be greatly alleviated if she were "given" the exquisite family Cartier tiara she wore when she was married, much as Diana was "given" the pearl tiara Diana was known for along with the Spencer tiara she was "lent." It makes perfect sense to me because it looks great on her, and yet it is very discreet.

I don't want to see an aristocratic semblance of a career woman who wears minimal jewels with no tiara emblematic of her, and "important" pieces being worn very rarely, and even then not thematically within a group, as Diana did with the sapphires she was given. I realize that Catherine married the next in line to the Prince of Wales, not the Prince of Wales, I realize that she probably wasn't given nearly as much as Diana was, and I realize that these are economically hard times for many. I still think that royalty should look like royalty.

I believe that this could be done discreetly, but I don't believe that Catherine is being afforded much opportunity to accomplish it. Catherine is 30. She is old enough to put her hair back and wear jewels. Diana was only 6 years older than Catherine when she died. Catherine is not anywhere near where Diana was in terms style and substance in jewels at the same age. My personal opinion is that whoever makes these decisions is leaning too far to the conservative side in not letting the public see royal jewels on Catherine and in letting Catherine become identified with them.

I think whoever is making these decision is trying to present William and Catherine as being as "normal" as possible. "Normal" is not want I want to see. I want to see royal jewels. I want to see Catherine doing something other than wearing bits and pieces of this and that, here and there. I don't feel that there has been enough leeway given to her. I think the perfect way to start would be, as I said, for her to wear the Cartier tiara. I'd also like to see more substantial, more formal jewels, not just one substantial piece being worn by itself rarely.

I've read many similar thoughts and ideas about Catherine and jewels on other sites, so I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. Basically, she's a beautiful, young woman, and royalty. I'd like to see more emphasis placed on "royalty" and "jewels". One can hope.

Honestly Danny, that's the most contructive critisim I've ever heard! :D (the communication major in me is clapping :appl: )

I agree with you, I think she should wear more, she looks more like an American politicians wife then royality. I thought the brooch was very pretty and looked nice with her outfit, but what about so ruby earrings to go with it and pull her hair back so you can actually see it. She's got pretty fantastic hair and it looks great when it's pulled up (think the Canadian tour in the purple dress), she really should do it more often.

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
i would like that ide sweden has many great tiaras a few can be worn both as necklace and tiara.

they have no pearl tiara and not a versatile as dutch royal family has

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1335512283|3182035 said:
(...)

I think you do have a point, Danny! But in the same time we should not forget that the Duchess of Cambridge has not attended an important royal event yet (I mean one that would require lots of glitter), certainly not a tiara event, in the 365 days since she said "I do".
I also think that HRH is the sort of woman that wears jewels which are both her favourites (perhaps she wants to establish some sort of trendmark collection, sort of what the sapphires were for Diana, PoW) and that go well with the clothes/dresses she wears. So far I'm pleased with what we've seen; and lets not forget that (hopefully) there will be plenty of years to see what lies in the jewellery boxes ;-) Let's just give the Duchess some time untill the Duke & she are more active in royal duties (think about State Banquets, Royal Variety Performances), and certainly lets wait till the Diamon Jublee events before making conclusions about Catherine & jewels. Hey! It's just merely an year since the wedding!
One more thing - I have the idea that the Duchess of Cambridge will be given sth of importance once Prince Henry is 4th (or further down) in line to the throne ;-)

On a personal note, I'm more surprised that we haven't seen more pearls on HRH, having in mind the country and family she married in. Just the other day we saw some nice earrings, but that's all. What about bracelets - a type of jewellery she seems to like (...) ?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Teriann|1335540574|3182211 said:
Honestly Danny, that's the most contructive critisim I've ever heard! :D (the communication major in me is clapping :appl: )

I agree with you, I think she should wear more, she looks more like an American politicians wife then royality. I thought the brooch was very pretty and looked nice with her outfit, but what about so ruby earrings to go with it and pull her hair back so you can actually see it. She's got pretty fantastic hair and it looks great when it's pulled up (think the Canadian tour in the purple dress), she really should do it more often.

You know, sometimes I think that new members of royal families should have a word word with Queen Margrethe II's hair dresser and perhaps Aunt Daisy herself ;-) This woman surely knows how to wear an up do, especially with tiaras. For all her years with long hair I've seen it loose just once... and that was early in the morning. For me hair up is sooo classy and refined! I fear, though, that William Cambridge doesn't think like me :razz:

PS: the poppy brooch is not made of rubies. Instead,it's set with red crystals. I guess you'd agree that the pearls and diamond in Catherine's ears were the better option :razz:

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine|1335565650|3182473 said:
i would like that ide sweden has many great tiaras a few can be worn both as necklace and tiara.

they have no pearl tiara and not a versatile as dutch royal family has

To be precise - 4 tiaras can be worn as necklace - the Baden fringe, the Connaught, the ruby tiara and Queen Silvia's diamond tiara. One necklace - the Napoleonic amethys - is now set on a tiara frame. And that's not bad at all - almost 1/2 of the tiaras in the main family! I just wish we saw the first three in necklace state more often, as they do look quite impressive that way!
Also, Princess Lilian's wreath tiara was originally a necklace and it's probable (IMO) that it can still be worn by such.

About pearl tiaras - Yes, I think it's rather unfortunate that the pears that could be worn with the tiara from the Leuchtenberg sapphire parure are no longer in the family (though they may still belong to a Bernadotte descendant). We shall also not forget that two of The King's sisters were given pearl tiaras upon their weddings (albeit unimportant ones).
How about writing to the Royal Court suggesting to replace (temporary) the diamond pendants of the Connaught tiarawith pear shaped pearls. Actually, I have certain pearls from the B. foundation in my mind ;-) LOL

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Forgive my useless mussings! Here is something that you might like - Mlle la Comtesse Stéphanie de Lannoy's engagement ring. As you can see it's a very large all diamond ring, larger than that of The Duchess of Cornwall, almost on the same scale as The Duchess of Cambridge's.

Stéphanie_ring.jpg

And a close up - I wonder what caused the difference in the colour of the central stone - the lighting, the gold bezel? Experts, help!
Stéphanie_CU.jpg

Also - it looks a little too large. Wonder if they are going to resize it...?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The images don't show for some very odd reason... Try to copy the link (without the / and load them. They must show.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
First, let me apologize for not posting this sooner. I've been swamped at school with state testing. :((

I had a birthday a few weeks ago, and my mom found a massively cool present...coloring books and paper dolls from Queen Elizabeth's coronation. So yes, that means these books are 60 years old. They are in good shape; the paper dolls have not been punched out, the clothes haven't been cut out. Just a few of the pictures have been colored. These are just plain cool!!!!

QEIIcoloringbook1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results