shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or Return?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought this band on eBay and it arrived today. It is 18K wg with .68 ct natural emerald (it doesn't say it's treated, but I'm sure there's a strong possibility that it is) and .35 ct. of F/VS diamonds. I will be going to my jeweler tomorrow to verify the above stats. I paid $999 for it. Is it worth what I paid? I really like it, but am not sure that it's worth $999. Their photos are very accurate as to color and sparkle. Mine was taken indoors at dusk, but I wanted you to get a sense of the size of the ring.Thoughts?

emerald%20close%20up.jpg
emerald%20close%20up2.jpg
emerald%20ring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's awfully pretty to me. The metal work looks quite nice and it's a great example of that style. What it's worth, I suspect, lies in the quality of those emeralds and I can't comment on those with any knowledge but they are a pretty color to me, if a little desaturated, and the ring looks really lovely on your hand. My internal pricing gauge isn't screaming rip off at all. It's actually just saying ... "ooooh lookit the pretty bauble someone else found and you didn't...." so the question is, how do you feel about it.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really love it. The only thing I wish is that it had 5 emeralds instead of 4 (most rings are odd number stones, i.e. 3, 5, 7). I agree with you that the value is in the emeralds. My guess is that my jeweler will be able to validate that they are emeralds (instead of glass or something), but not if/how they've been treated.

It's helpful to know that you don't think it screams "rip off"....thanks for your feedback. It's my first colored stone ring of any kind, so I'm kind of nervous about prices. I know what a GIA certed 1.0 carat G/VS1 will cost (roughly) so I can gauge value versus rip off. With colored stones, I know so much of the value lies in the treatment/lack thereof...it's one of the reasons I've steered clear of colored stones...just overwhelms me. But, I really loved this when I stumbled on it while looking for an emerald cut diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treated emeralds are standard. I have an emerald band myself and the emeralds are treated. They a very nice quality for what they are though and I love them. You can't find untreated emeralds. Just find out what the appraiser says (they should be natural) and what his thoughts are on the peace as a whole. I get you about the 4 or 5 thing. But I totally didn't notice it. It's got great finger coverage as it is.

Please let me know what the appraiser says. I'm interested.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will do! Thanks Gypsy!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I would post on the colored stone forum, too! They have awesome knowledge!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1334875355|3175536 said:
I would post on the colored stone forum, too! They have awesome knowledge!

With a caveat. They will tell you ALL the stone negatives. ALL OF THEM. And it might scare the crap out of you. But with colored stones they are just telling you all the issues, not saying that other comparable stones won't have the same ones. It's scary for people used to RT to get advice on CS. They don't mean to, but they can be very intense and kinda come off as very negative about any purchase except for top ones. Some of the posters don't seem to quality things with price-- like they don't think "is it good for the price"... they look at it as a absolute. It's like comparing each diamond to a D IF. If I listed all the issues with any other diamond a poster was considering it would sound scary and NO ONE would buy a J SI EVER, but once you understand how it works you'll realize that there are acceptable traits and unacceptable ones and that YOU are the only person ultimately that judges that.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good idea webdiva, I'll consider that with the caveat that Gypsy mentioned in mind.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks pretty. I sort of think its not a rip off but not a deal either. Looks like a modern repro of course, and I bet good money the emeralds are you basic commercial product with whatever associated treatments. I don't think I would spend that much on it because there are lots of other things *I* would buy instead, but that is neither here nor there.

I think if you are wondering if you should keep it, then you should send it back. Keep what you luuuuuuuv.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't actually think ripoff at all when I see that ring. The workmanship alone looks fantastic.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Dreamer and Ame. I do think it's gorgeous..the question about keeping it or not lies in value. Is it a fair price for what I got? Sounds like a yes, just not a steal (which I already knew). ;-)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My opinion is that its a fair price for what you got. It is a beautiful ring on your hand! It has perfect coverage for the finger width, so a 5th emerald may have been hidden... but the repro design and the diamonds look GREAT!!!

Sounds like you are liking it and feel good about it... but just not AWESOMELYFANTASTICAL about the pricing? (i kinda like my new word there!!! tee hee!)

Not a bad price, IMO :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks enerchi. I would have no question (assuming it checks out with my jeweler) if I'd paid $799. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yennyfire, I think your new ring is very lovely! I love the setting and overall look of the ring and the finger coverage is great. I don't know anything about colored gems though but it is very pleasing to my (uneducated) eye. If you decide to keep it wear in health and happiness!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1334877974|3175595 said:
Thanks enerchi. I would have no question (assuming it checks out with my jeweler) if I'd paid $799. :bigsmile:
:lol: :lol: I'd be jumping all over that deal, too!!! :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very unique ring and while I'm no expert on emeralds, $999 doesn't seem like a terrible price to me. If you are deciding on dollars alone, I guess you might have a better idea after you have the ring evaluated.

If you love it, keep it. If not, return it. How's that for simple?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If only all things were that simple MGR! :lol:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think it's beautiful and it definitely looks like a nice quality. If your jeweler comes back with a favorable opinion and I loved the ring, then it would be worth the price to me. $799 would be a deal I'd be all over. :$$):

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!!! I think it looks more expensive than $999. After all, a lot of us pay $1800 for plain Tiffany settings! :lol: So I don't think you overpayed at all...even if the emeralds were lab made.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tomorrow can't come soon enough!! Of course, if I keep it, I have to deduct $1k from my emerald cut diamond hunt. ;(

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1334879992|3175654 said:
Tomorrow can't come soon enough!! Of course, if I keep it, I have to deduct $1k from my emerald cut diamond hunt. ;(
oh don't be silly!!! Just bat your eyes, tell your DH how wonderful he is and how much your life together means to him, whimper a bit, offer to scrimp and save on groceries, and then .... suggest perhaps a slight increase in the new EC diamond budget! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something:

Easy peasy to work around this!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I personally love it! It looks very well made and green is my favorite color so there's no question. I vote keep it!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Keep it...keep it! It's a beauty on you... really! :love: :love:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
KEEP IT, PLEAAAASE!! :love:

I think it is gorgeous and I would feel comfortable paying 999 for it. I agree with Ame, the craftsmanship looks great.

Now, I am going to go back and drool over the pictures. If you keep this baby, I hope you start a SMTB thread with lots and lots of pictures! :naughty:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Enerchi, you are a bad influence! Of course, I already had the same thought! :twisted:

Thanks stargurl and stci! You're all making this an easier decision!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1334880606|3175678 said:
Enerchi, you are a bad influence! Of course, I already had the same thought! :twisted:

Thanks stargurl and stci! You're all making this an easier decision!

"great minds think alike"! Use your feminine wiles to your advantage, gurl!!! :Up_to_something:

(but the end of that phrase is "fools seldom differ"!! So lets decide to be great minds together! :bigsmile: )

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is stunning! I love the design and it looks wonderful on your hand. That being said do your homework and ask for a partial refund if you find out you overpaid, but keep that beauty!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You've got a deal enerchi! Thanks armywife and mrs. W!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1334878733|3175620 said:
If only all things were that simple MGR! :lol:

I know, right? It is very pretty though - I'd be sorely tempted to keep it!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about emeralds..... But it's beautiful and looks wonderful on your hand. :love: I thinks it's fabulous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results