shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the AVERAGE price of wine you drink in your home?

What's the AVERAGE price of your home-consumed wine?

• $2 and under

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2 to 5

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 5 to 10

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • 10 to 20

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • 20 to 30

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • 30 to 40

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 40 to 50

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 50 to 75

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 75 to 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're not big drinkers but we'll occasionally buy a bottle of wine. I think we spend about $10-20 on a bottle. I only drink white and zinfandel. Reds are too bold for me.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh I think my answer would not really represent the wine I am drinking.

I live in Sweden where you can only buy alcohol in special state owned stores called Systembolaget. The tax on alcohol is pretty darn impressive since apparently we Swedes are very special people that will ALL end up as diseased alcoholics if we have normal pricing on alcohol and Sweden as a country would cease to exist :nono: . But lets just ignore the extensive production of moonshine in the north, ok?

So the cheapest wine we can buy is still 9 dollars :errrr: and is probably comparable to the stuff you guys can buy for 2 dollars. Just my luck that I LOVE wine and have a very developed sense of taste (apparently I have an excess of taste-buds and the right genetics so that I can taste some things that many people can't :oops: ) oh and I am a student so the wine budget is not that high.

And just for giggles, a bottle of house wine at a inexpensive restaurant starts at 47 dollars :angryfire: .

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wine is pricier in Canada than the US because it's heavily taxed, so my prices are probably slightly higher.

For whites, I would probably say 20-25$ average. For red's, probably 30-35$. I do, however, have a few more expensive bottles of red in my cellar that I'm holding until perfect drinking age (~5-10 years from now). I'd like to go higher in reds because some of my favourite wines come from the Piedmont region of Italy (Barolo, Barbaresco) and they easily go upwards of 60$ at the lower end of the spectrum, but I don't think my palette is refined enough to appreciate that kind of a price tag.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
natascha|1334450531|3171225 said:

I live in Sweden where you can only buy alcohol in special state owned stores called Systembolaget. The tax on alcohol is pretty darn impressive since apparently we Swedes are very special people that will ALL end up as diseased alcoholics if we have normal pricing on alcohol and Sweden as a country would cease to exist :nono: . But lets just ignore the extensive production of moonshine in the north, ok?

So the cheapest wine we can buy is still 9 dollars :errrr: and is probably comparable to the stuff you guys can buy for 2 dollars. Just my luck that I LOVE wine and have a very developed sense of taste (apparently I have an excess of taste-buds and the right genetics so that I can taste some things that many people can't :oops: ) oh and I am a student so the wine budget is not that high.

And just for giggles, a bottle of house wine at a inexpensive restaurant starts at 47 dollars :angryfire: .

That's the price of wine here in Canada as well. Sadly, we're not nearly as awesome as Sweden in terms of making those taxes work for us wisely!

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
natascha|1334450531|3171225 said:

Haha, well I first developed a taste for (cheap) red wine while I was studying in Norway for a semester in my senior year of college, and alcohol was so expensive that we would often split a bottle or two of the cheapest wine between a group of us because it was cheaper than buying beers or anything else (plus most of the beers were terrible).

These days my tastes are a little more selective, and my husband has become a bit of a wine lover, too. I'd say we usuallly spend somewhere around $15, but if we're trying something new we'll go for something on a good sale, so maybe closer to $25 retail. And we'll spend more like $30ish for a special occasion. But really,I expected the average to be much higher for PSers! Being a young newlywed, I thought I would fall on the low side, but I guess we're average.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We like big reds. Usually around $19-$24 for everyday. But we also have some higher cost bottles in our cooler for special occasions.

Some regulars..cabs and blends
BR Cohn- Silver Label
Silver Palm
Double T (Trefethen) blend
Simi Landslide. Blend
Merryvale
Franciscan

More expensive favorites
chateau Montelena
Silver Oak
Moon Tasi
Magnificat

Too many to list but we love a great glass of wine....or two....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a cheap wine aficionado! There are a few brands I discovered at Whole Foods that I love, one of which is a Portuguese table wine that can be purchased on sale for $3.99! My dad likes that one and he actually knows about wine and has a wine cellar! :cheeky: My absolute favorite vinho verde is about $12, depending on sales, so I guess I average around $8.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the TJ's sparkling Muscat I'm addicted to. Especially paired with the saltiness of paddlefish roe (American Caviar) it is perfect. But honestly, I can go through a whole bottle just drinking it without food.

It's cheap, sweet and bubbly. I'm not claiming it's anything other than that. But I've been enjoying it. Makes great Mimosas with fresh orange juice too. And lovely Bellini's.

It's 5.99 I think. There is another muscat, but I haven't tried that yet. I will though.

TJ's sparkling Muscat.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
librarychickie|1334414813|3170878 said:
Since moving to the DC area, we have really become very acquainted with Virginia wines -- especially the Viognier and the Vidal Blanc from various Virginia wineries. Oh my! I'm definitely not a wine person, but I can easily drink those two! One of our favorite Virginia wine brands is Barboursville, which by the way, is what was served to the Queen when she visited! Ha! Another good one is "Cow" from Bluemont winery. They name all their wines after farm animals.

~LC
I love Bluemont! That view...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1334455802|3171285 said:
This is the TJ's sparkling Muscat I'm addicted to. Especially paired with the saltiness of paddlefish roe (American Caviar) it is perfect. But honestly, I can go through a whole bottle just drinking it without food.

It's cheap, sweet and bubbly. I'm not claiming it's anything other than that. But I've been enjoying it. Makes great Mimosas with fresh orange juice too. And lovely Bellini's.

gypsy I am also addicted to this :)

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
sillyberry|1334457258|3171306 said:
librarychickie|1334414813|3170878 said:
Since moving to the DC area, we have really become very acquainted with Virginia wines -- especially the Viognier and the Vidal Blanc from various Virginia wineries. Oh my! I'm definitely not a wine person, but I can easily drink those two! One of our favorite Virginia wine brands is Barboursville, which by the way, is what was served to the Queen when she visited! Ha! Another good one is "Cow" from Bluemont winery. They name all their wines after farm animals.

~LC
I love Bluemont! That view...

I know! We've been waiting for a nice clear, spring day to go back up there b/c we want to see DC from the hilltop. It does frustrate us that they don't distribute their wines or ship them! If you want it, you have to make the trek up there to get it.

~LC

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1334457509|3171311 said:
Gypsy|1334455802|3171285 said:

gypsy I am also addicted to this :)

Dratted stuff is good isn't it?? I really enjoy it and at the price it's so guilt free. Even if I don't finish the bottle... meh, it's okay.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a big fan of the Trader Joe's Reserve wines. Theyre about $10a bottle, and quite good! The Trader Joe's Costal Cabernet is nice, and only $4 a bottle. We typically drink red, but if we drink white we like a really light, crisp Sauvignon blank which is typically not pricy. My favorite is Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon blanc, which is only $15

Asu

Shiny_Rock
At home,we stick to 3/4 $ bottles.We are cheap,and I'm singing by the third glass anyway,so..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We usually try to find well rated wine between 10 to 20 dollars.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm seriously up for under $10 white wine suggestions. My old regular drink (Fat Bastard) isn't cutting it like it used to. Kendall Jackson is running 12-16 by me ... and is just ok. Toasted Head was ai't. Need more options! I've given up on reds except for finishing up our stock of sparkling shiraz my DH ordered when I had a brief flirtation w/it.

Unfortch we don't have a Trader Joes nearby. :knockout:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1334539409|3171972 said:
I'm seriously up for under $10 white wine suggestions. My old regular drink (Fat Bastard) isn't cutting it like it used to. Kendall Jackson is running 12-16 by me ... and is just ok. Toasted Head was ai't. Need more options! I've given up on reds except for finishing up our stock of sparkling shiraz my DH ordered when I had a brief flirtation w/it.

Unfortch we don't have a Trader Joes nearby. :knockout:

Rosenblum has a very nice Zinfandel (actually they have a ton, but the one under 10 bucks is great for the price) It's a blended one, I think it's 8 bucks or so there at World Market. Here are two of them:

http://www.napacabs.com/Rosenblum-NV-Zinfandel-Vintners-Cuvee-California-XXXIII-P8926.aspx

and this one:

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?D=rosenblum&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&Ntk=All&Nty=1&Ntt=rosenblum&N=0&ProductID=3358

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1071953&cid=TPV-Googlebase

http://www.budgetbottle.com/?iVar=1964

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little surprised by the number of people who have stated their "everyday wine" is ~$25/bottle; 25x365 is more than $9,000 a year.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
fleur-de-lis|1334543221|3172022 said:
I'm a little surprised by the number of people who have stated their "everyday wine" is ~$25/bottle; 25x365 is more than $9,000 a year.
My guess is that their "everyday" bottle is not, in fact, everyday. I gave an everyday price, but if you average out how many of those I drink per year these days, you would come out to something like $1.42 a day!

Or, perhaps like my boss (who buys directly by the case from a variety of vineyards and has a pretty substantial cellar) they just like their wine and prioritize that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1334547975|3172085 said:
fleur-de-lis|1334543221|3172022 said:
My guess is that their "everyday" bottle is not, in fact, everyday. I gave an everyday price, but if you average out how many of those I drink per year these days, you would come out to something like $1.42 a day!

Or, perhaps like my boss (who buys directly by the case from a variety of vineyards and has a pretty substantial cellar) they just like their wine and prioritize that.

Oh my yes! This. I said 15 bucks ish, because that's what DH drinks. But he drinks maybe once a month or twice a month. Even my 'addiction' of 5.99 Muscat is once or twice a month!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to keep each bottle under $10, I think I'm pretty "easy" as far as wine goes but can't drink the 2 buck chuck and some of the super cheap wines. However if I was well off I would definitely buy more wines in the $10-20 level; some wines I've tried and enjoyed are now more priced there, and too much of a cheapskate to buy. Will make an occasional voray into above $10 for a good sparkling wine or tempranillo. My husband has decided that he really doesn't have a nose for wine and now leaves the wine for me. Which I think is too bad, since I think it is romantic to split a bottle, and I don't like drinking stale wine.
Not that he won't have a glass of wine every once in a while (white) he is pretty much exclusive beer at this point. Unfortunately I think the beer ends up being just as expensive if not more so since he will have 2,3 in an evening and he likes expensive beer. I've bought him the Kirkland variety beers but he says they taste "watery" to him.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a list on hand, but I enjoyed "cupcake" chardonnay I got at Costco (less than $10).

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy,
Thanks for the photo. I'm intrigued and we have a Trader Joe's opening soon right across the street from where I get my nails done. We have a liquor-store chain here in D/FW called Goody Goody and I'm wondering if they carry it. They're the nicest people no matter what you're buying and they always ask if you want help out to the car.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1334626146|3172932 said:
Gypsy,
Thanks for the photo. I'm intrigued and we have a Trader Joe's opening soon right across the street from where I get my nails done. We have a liquor-store chain here in D/FW called Goody Goody and I'm wondering if they carry it. They're the nicest people no matter what you're buying and they always ask if you want help out to the car.

Sounds nice! I My aunt is in the D/FW area, she'll be excited that there is a TJ's coming out there.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1334539015|3171967 said:
We usually try to find well rated wine between 10 to 20 dollars.

us too :D Okay I was listening to something on NPR about the fancy expensive wines and they were saying only wine tasters can really only tell the difference (with years of experience) so that makes me feel go to see the $5 -20 price tag being the most bought wines for the home! :bigsmile: ::clink clink::

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Current favorite is Relax Riesling. Helps that it has a twist off top so easier to save than other types of wine. We're super classy around here. :lol:

And, I have to say I am NOT AT ALL surprised that most folks involved in the poll are buying 'cheaper' wines. Read 'The Millionaire Next Door' by Stanley and you'll find out why. Millionaires save money where it doesn't really matter to them (wine, luxury cars, clothes) and spend it where it does matter (paying down debt, savings, investments). This behavior is what gets them to millionaire status, not buying $50 bottles of wine that are gone in a few glasses. I'd guess PSers would rather drink cheap wine and have nice diamonds than have crappy diamonds and drink expensive wine! :bigsmile:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubybeth I guess I'd agree with you except that I don't agree "cheap" wine is necessarily crappy wine. I think at least Americans are very fortunate with the breadth and quality of wine one can acquire for "cheap" price tags of ($5-15).

But whatever the pricetag It's not a good deal if it tastes bad or you don't enjoy drinking it.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh love that TJ's sparkling muscat! We run the gamut really with our wines. Sweet wines like the TJ's muscato, Chateau St Michelle Riesling, etc. are our cheaper ones usually. For reds I'm hopelessly addicted to Girard (about $20-$30 per bottle w/the wine club) but will drink Bogle (about $8 on sale) without complaining. We drink about a bottle a week, definitely not every day. I could probably drink the TJ's everyday though, it's so light and refreshing. :lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1334674487|3173239 said:
Rubybeth I guess I'd agree with you except that I don't agree "cheap" wine is necessarily crappy wine. I think at least Americans are very fortunate with the breadth and quality of wine one can acquire for "cheap" price tags of ($5-15).

But whatever the pricetag It's not a good deal if it tastes bad or you don't enjoy drinking it.

Oh, yeah, I'm not equating under $20 wines to 'bad wines,' just saying that PSers would rather spend their money on diamond instead of expensive wine when cheaper wines are just as tasty. I think I just said we'd rather drink cheap wine and have nice diamonds than crappy diamonds and expensive wine when most can't taste the difference between a $100 wine and a good $15 one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of another product where the old adage "You get what you pay for!" is so often untrue.
Generally the more you pay the better the wine, but many of us have found wonderful cheap wines and disappointing expensive ones.

I think the hunt for the great value is half the fun and charm of wine.
Every can of Coke is supposed to taste the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results