color
clarity

Brad and Angelina engaged

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1334392070|3170757 said:
Autumnovember|1334377440|3170722 said:
God I can't stand Angelina.

Hi AN! I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm just curious why?

Sometimes I can't stand certain celebrities either.

Hiiii!

The whole thing with Jennifer Aniston pissed me off. haha

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I wish we had PS-quality pics of all of these celebrity engagement rings!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1334355698|3170513 said:
minousbijoux|1334355128|3170503 said:
Oh Logan, in case of misunderstanding - I am interested in the ring and the bling, just not the couple!

No worrie- I'm the same way, though I do find it curious that they took a stand on not marrying until there was marriage equality, so i wonder what changed their minds?

No one in Hollywood has cared about marriage for years. When they do decide to get married, it is only because they want publicity with the ring and the wedding photos. Marriage is not an institution to them--they look on it only as a photo op that they can/will get out of as needed (with more publicity--don't kid yourself, both Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie did very well publicity wise out of this manufactured 'homewrecker vs. good girl saga, which was a replay of the Elizabeth Taylor/Debbie Reynolds script from fifty years ago, that's all). Marriage clearly has nothing to do with raising children in the best possible way and making sure that society continues to flourish, so why wouldn't they make some kind of off-hand remark about not 'marrying' (as they understand it) until gays can go through exactly the same charade as they do? I'm sure they don't even remember that they said this and they were never standing on principle of any kind anyway so why not change their mind when it seems convenient for whatever reason?

For the record, although I believe that gay marriage is wrong and is destructive to society, I do believe that there are people who don't understand this and honestly believe it is the 'fair' thing to do and are fighting for it with good (though mistaken) intentions. However, Brangelina would not be in this in this group--Brangelina doesn't have any real opinions--certainly not ones that they would stand up for and fight. They will always be there (like most Hollywood stars, though not all) parroting whatever their social circle parrots and getting credit for being 'progressive' and 'right-thinking' when there is no risk to them or their good publicity or their pocketbook. What I TRULY don't understand is why we let these pretty and entertaining people (who recite lines well but have no brains) affect OUR opinions and even ask them to testify in Washington and affect public policy? I would consider their coming 'marriage' as the circus sideshow that it is and just enjoy it (if that is my impusle) without trying to make them seem to make sense, which they don't.

And it may be mean to be commenting on the way Angelina's hand looks, but honestly, their shelf-life is just about over and their expiration date is coming up soon. In ten years few will remember who these people even ARE--and we will be dealling with newer versions of the same exact thing and all their movies will be 'old' movies to people born this year and later very soon.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
I think small minded people are destructive to society.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SweetAsscher|1334434810|3171059 said:

+1

actually +1 X

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care about the people, I care about the circumstances and the raging hypocrisy that people display when discussing the situation. If there was no outraged furor that conveniently ignored the fact that the 'wronged' woman was just as guilty, I would have nothing to say about it.

I have no feelings about Angelina's personality or feelings about her as a person nor any about Brad's personality or feelings about him as a person, as I don't have anything to say about it- I don't know them personally.

If anyone is still confused about the difference, let me know and I will try to explain it better.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Galateia|1334393421|3170763 said:
I, for one, am totally sick of people dissing Jolie because of how they met while forgetting the details. I remember reading stuff at the time (before he and Aniston divorced) about their troubled marriage and him wanting kids and she didn't ... and then suddenly people forgot those reports about them being on the rocks over kids and it became "OMG ANGELINA IS AN EVIL HOMEWRECKER" when Aniston herself broke up a 10 year marriage by dating Justin Theroux, which apparently blindsided his common law wife. Where is the outrage that Aniston is just as guilty of being a homewrecker as Jolie is?

But Theroux was not a married man. Many women think guys who aren't married are "fair game." Living together is not the same as being married and taking vows. JMO.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts:

I'd love to see more pics of Angelina's ring.

I don't get why Jennifer Aniston's mentioned or STILL compared to Angelina Jolie. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been together for years (7, I think I read somewhere). The people involved have moved on. Time for everyone else to as well.

Gay marriage is wrong and destructive to society? I will never understand this view. I get that some people define marriage as being between a man and a woman. I don't define it that way, but fine. However, how on earth is marriage between two people of the same gender who love each other destructive to society?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1334437072|3171089 said:
I, for one, am totally sick of people dissing Jolie because of how they met while forgetting the details. I remember reading stuff at the time (before he and Aniston divorced) about their troubled marriage and him wanting kids and she didn't ... and then suddenly people forgot those reports about them being on the rocks over kids and it became "OMG ANGELINA IS AN EVIL HOMEWRECKER" when Aniston herself broke up a 10 year marriage by dating Justin Theroux, which apparently blindsided his common law wife. Where is the outrage that Aniston is just as guilty of being a homewrecker as Jolie is?

But Theroux was not a married man. Many women think guys who aren't married are "fair game." Living together is not the same as being married and taking vows. JMO.

I guess I give more weight to a 14 year live-in relationship than a piece of paper. Then again, Common Law marriages in Canada seem to have more weight than in the US, from what I have seen down here?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1334440780|3171119 said:
My thoughts:

I don't get why Jennifer Aniston's mentioned or STILL compared to Angelina Jolie. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been together for years (7, I think I read somewhere). The people involved have moved on. Time for everyone else to as well.

Gay marriage is wrong and destructive to society? I will never understand this view. I get that some people define marriage as being between a man and a woman. I don't define it that way, but fine. However, how on earth is marriage between two people of the same gender who love each other destructive to society?

ditto. ditto. ditto.

and a few more for good measure...

ditto. ditto. ditto.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Galateia|1334441292|3171122 said:

I guess I give more weight to a 14 year live-in relationship than a piece of paper. Then again, Common Law marriages in Canada seem to have more weight than in the US, from what I have seen down here?

I give just as much "weight" to either relationship, but I don't subscribe to the notion that the break-ups of these marriages (certified or common-law) were the fault of the "other woman." Jolie and Aniston were both single when they ended up with Pitt and Theroux. THEY weren't the ones who took vows or otherwise committed themselves, why are they singled out for all the blame? Who cares what a woman thinks is "fair game?" I expect my husband to be faithful to me regardless of how many women throw themselves at him (which he tells me happens all the time, LOL).

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Maria D|1334442484|3171135 said:

I give just as much "weight" to either relationship, but I don't subscribe to the notion that the break-ups of these marriages (certified or common-law) were the fault of the "other woman." Jolie and Aniston were both single when they ended up with Pitt and Theroux. THEY weren't the ones who took vows or otherwise committed themselves, why are they singled out for all the blame? Who cares what a woman thinks is "fair game?" I expect my husband to be faithful to me regardless of how many women throw themselves at him (which he tells me happens all the time, LOL).

I totally agree with you there; it's not like either man slipped and fell on a woman who wasn't his partner! :rolleyes:

However, Jolie and Pitt did not go public with their relationship (and claimed they didn't get involved, which I have gotta be skeptical of, but whateves) until he was divorced, whereas Aniston and Theroux were all over each over in public while he was still definitely living with his partner. That is beyond grody, IMO. Yet, people still paint Aniston with this angelic brush and deride Jolie for 'wronging' Aniston. Where is the equal outrage against Aniston for doing the same thing, and outrage against Theroux for humiliating his partner of 14 years that way?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well...didn't Pitt and Jolie do that "50's family" photo shoot for Vanity Fair before Pitt's divorce was actually final? So I'd say that Pitt and Theroux both acted like cads.

The only "reason" I can think of for Jolie being the one the tabloids make out be the home-wrecker while Aniston is practically sainted is that Jolie just looks like a vixen and everyone loves Rachel. It just sells better.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1334440780|3171119 said:
My thoughts:

Ditto.

I'd also like to ditto the "I think small-minded people are destructive to society" post as well.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I think so. They're more the thing in Europe too. In the U.S., you can be living together for 10 years, and everyone will still ask the couple, "So, when are you two ever getting married?!"

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Another shot of the ring:

Jolie ring.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This thread reminds me of a line from Nicki Minaj's "Super Hoe": "I'm Angelina, you Jennifer, come on, ____. You see where Brad at." The Brad, Angelina, Jennifer love triangle has become part of the popular culture. It seems to have a life of its own above and beyond the facts of what happened between the actual people involved. I'm very interested in the private lives of the artists I'm a fan of. Unfortunately, I'm not really a fan of any of these three, so I don't know much about how all of this came to be or why people feel strongly about it.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Maria D|1334435328|3171067 said:
SweetAsscher|1334434810|3171059 said:

+1

actually +1 X

Add me to this list.

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Laila619|1334447106|3171185 said:

Yes, I think so. They're more the thing in Europe too. In the U.S., you can be living together for 10 years, and everyone will still ask the couple, "So, when are you two ever getting married?!"
Dunno,common-law marriage doesn't even exist here.You might have been living together for 20 years,but you're still just girlfriend and boyfriend,nothing more.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1334355966|3170517 said:
monarch64|1334355759|3170515 said:
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/angelina-jolies-engagement-ring-designer-robert-procop-5-things-you-dont-know-2012134

Here's the first pic I came across. I'll see if there are any more.

D'oh - great minds think alike! Just cross-posted. It does indeed look like a big emerald-cut, with a step-cut halo if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait to see close-ups! :cheeky:

ETA: The jeweler's website ... http://www.robertprocop.com/

OMG, thank you C, I've been LOOKING for some diamond napkin rings!

The 2000 carat placemat is just tacky, though.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Asu said:
Laila619|1334447106|3171185 said:

Dunno,common-law marriage doesn't even exist here.You might have been living together for 20 years,but you're still just girlfriend and boyfriend,nothing more.

I actually researched common law marriage a few years ago, when Fi and I had been living together about 6 years. There's no such thing, in New York, anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just found this. I'm not really into the style of this ring (I like EC's, though), but I think it fits her.

brangiering2.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1334513721|3171635 said:
Just found this. I'm not really into the style of this ring (I like EC's, though), but I think it fits her.

Agreed! Thanks for the close up!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not digging that ring. Is it 6 ct emerald or 6 cttw? I was actually surprised he didn't spend more.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1334518726|3171690 said:
Not digging that ring. Is it 6 ct emerald or 6 cttw? I was actually surprised he didn't spend more.

Hard to tell by the pic. While reading about it, I got the impression that the center was 6 carats. I'm not surprised he didn't spend more, but only because they are so dedicated to things like Habitat and they've done this whole adoption thing and spent time in countries where people have absolutely nothing. It would be sort of weird if he was spending a gazillion dollars on a ring but trying to maintain his hipster humanitarian image.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

thanks for posting. not my style either..but people vary :cheeky:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1334519524|3171699 said:

thanks for posting. not my style either..but people vary :cheeky:

:naughty: I keep telling myself that I need to get a t-shirt or bumper sticker with this phrase on it. Or maybe I'll put it on a baby bodysuit and make my kid wear it. You know, to spread awareness!!! :bigsmile:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I don't like the ring and I didn't like the ring he designed for Jennifer Aniston either. But I just want to say that I think promoting marriage, all marriage, is good for society. I don't see it as destructive to society at all.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd wear it but i'm betting it looks better on her long fingers than it would on my sort ones........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results