shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW I've been holding out... my vintage 2.30ctw OEC Ring!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had this ring for a while but never made a post for it, had some time and figured I'd finally do it!

This lovely beauty is a vintage white gold ring estimated to be from the 1920-30's. The center stone is 1.5c and 7.5mm and is estimated at I color by my local jeweler. On each side of the stone is one 3.5mm OEC, estimated at about 15points. The rest of the surrounding diamonds are about .50ctw and are a mix of single and full cut melee, 1-2 pointers.

When I bought it the side diamonds were badly cut MRB's so I sourced 4 3.5mm OEC's and had my local guy match the two best for the stone, and replace them so that the entire ring was more period. He thinks it may have been a WG replica of an original platinum ring but the middle stone itself is a later OEC almost borderine tranny with a small culet so not entirely sure. My local guy says it's for sure an OEC though and after spending some time with it, I would agree.

The story around this is supposedly it was made in the 20-30's for a woman who wore it throughout her life. When she died, it went to her daughter, who kept it in a safe deposit box and only wore it to visit her mom's grave and for special occasions. When she was 80, she donated her entire estate to her church and the seller I bought it from picked it up in this parcel in 2006. Because of the nature of the ring, the bling bling factor can make it really hard to get pics of it. So he felt like he never did the ring justice and never tried to sell it so kept it in his safe until 2011. He got a new camera, remembered he had the ring, decided to try to take some pics and whala. When I bought it, I planned to just remove the center stone and sell the setting because the pics weren't THAT good, but in person this thing is fantastic and I never want to take it apart. Famous last words...but I am pretty sure I will not disassemble this ring. There's just something about it, it's so beautiful, it fits PERFECTLY on my hand and looks like it belongs there. I feel like fate brought this ring to me... sappy and sentimental yet true. My husband says...'if I'd known that I could have just told you a sappy story and spent 1/2 of what we did on your e-ring, I would have done this years ago when we got engaged'...thanks honey! Hehe. I do have to say that my poor modern round has just been languishing since I got this beauty, I am completely smitten.

The center stone is ridiculously beautiful, with a slightly lower crown but that chunky beautiful pillowy cushioning faceting that just draws your eye. The pictures could never do it justice. It has an SI2 grade gray feather that runs inside the stone and hits the top of the stone at a facet junction. I can only see it in certain lights, but it's definitely a beauty mark.

Anyway enough talk, let's see the pictures!!! I've got a lot to post...

OECphotosfeb12-1-3a.jpg

OECphotosfeb12-1-10a.jpg

OECphotosfeb12-1-15a.jpg

OEC Loupe closeup 3.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pics...!

OEC in the car awesome.JPG

fireOECMara2.JPG

OEC crown closeup.JPG

ring on portiaa.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a few more... :naughty:

The last two are with the new 3.5mm's OEC's vs the old MRB's..it makes such a big difference to me, I'm anal about crown matching and stuff like that. :bigsmile:

OECsandRBJan2012 second set-1a.jpg

Old Stone Rings Photo Shoot-1-2a.jpg

Old Stone Rings Photo Shoot-1-10.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Your new ring is stunning! :lickout: (So are your other rings!) :love: :love: :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As usual, gorgeous ring Mara! Wish it were my hand in that picture!

cheers--Sharon

starrynight

Shiny_Rock
so beautiful!! I drooled just a bit over those facets :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love: Wow, what an amazing setting and beautiful stone, I can see why you are captivated by it - all of your pieces are really beautiful Mara!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOA! that's amazing! So beautiful - how could you have held out without sharing??? :nono: ;))

It is gorgeous Mara - and I just love the story behind it - how sweet to know the history of something. It does make it more personal and special. love the photo shoot with all your 'friends' - diamonds, dogs, whatever! :bigsmile:

Oh, it's a beauty- enjoy!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG amazeballs! Seriously - I want to steal it!

cavluv

Rough_Rock
All so beautiful...I don't know how you decide which one to wear! And I LOVE the pic with Miss P!! Seriously, the ring is stunning!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I love the ring and I especially love the photo with your adorable pup. Is she a Westie??

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!!!!

You have beautiful rings Mara. :love:

Cachette :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!! :love: :love: :love: You have what MrsS and I talk about wanting all the time...a second wedding set! I still love a traditional solitaire but I surely do love an antique ring as well! Your center stone is really excellent and you did a great job matching the side stones! Congrats on the great find! :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful bling and beautiful doggy!! I'm jealous he can hold still for a photo like that! My dog can never Stay still lol.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Your stone is BEAUTIFUL and I can see why you wouldn't want to change the setting :love: :love: :love: And I'm with DS, PS has got me wanting one of these gorgeous vintage rings for a second wedding set!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous stone and rings!! I love your photo of Miss P as well. I had a westie so many years ago and I miss her still!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! :love: :love: :love: All of your rings are just stunning!

stci

Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1334441867|3171130 said:
Oh my! :love: :love: :love: All of your rings are just stunning!

This!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just amazing Mara!!!! The faceting is absolutely to die for!! :love: :love: :love:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Your new ring is incredibly stunning! I love the story behind it as well. :love: :love: :love:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring, love your dog I think mine would try to eat it :love:

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Mara! What a gorgeous, gorgeous piece and your photos are stunning! I really love it paired with the marquise band. Congrats on an amazing find!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having seen this ring, I can definitely confirm it's a stunner. Honestly the photos don't do it justice. It's so delicate and romantic in real life, yet has a lot of presence. I did briefly think of making a run for it, but I think she has my address....

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty!!!

They sure know how to make gorgeous settings back then. Love it!

Anne

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone..!!

Portia is 8 years old now (I remember when I posted on here we had brought her home...), and she's pretty mellow. She humors me. :naughty:

And I agree re: the story making it somehow a little more special. My husband says... well I have to imagine that the family who owned the ring before is happy that it found it's way into someone's hands who really appreciates it and knows it for what it is. I like to think he's right!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1334466328|3171384 said:
Thanks everyone..!!

Portia is 8 years old now (I remember when I posted on here we had brought her home...), and she's pretty mellow. She humors me. :naughty:

And I agree re: the story making it somehow a little more special. My husband says... well I have to imagine that the family who owned the ring before is happy that it found it's way into someone's hands who really appreciates it and knows it for what it is. I like to think he's right!

OMG, I remember when you got her!!! :o Time is passing so fast!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Wow, gorgeous find! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Mara, your ring is so unbelievably amazing!!!! Love the faceting and love the story behind it.
I am literally drooling over my keyboard right now (OK, not literally but almost because that is one of the most gorgeous ring I have ever seen!!!). :love: :love: :love:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, what a stunning ring. I love the mounting. It's perfect. :love: :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Wowzers...what stunning rings!!! Love the nose shot on Miss P as well. Does she like shiny things as much as you? ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results