shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to use IS, but tweezers not cooperating!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris143007

Shiny_Rock
Any suggestions? I''m scared to damage the stone with the only tweezers I have- those manicurist kit ones! :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
isn''t it possible to chip a corner by pinching the tweezers too tight?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
IF you tried really hard. But not likely
17.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really helps to practice using a light tough with the tweezers. You''re unlikely to chip the stone directly but if you hold it very tightly, it''s easy to slip and launch the stone a considerable distance in an unknown direction. The search can be frustrating in it''s own right and can be a setup for other situations that include a breakage risk, like stepping on it on a tile floor or a trip through the vacuum cleaner.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Once I looked for a ruby that had fallen into my low pile blue carpet for about an hour and a half. I had seen generally where it had fallen, but no luck finding it. The most exasperating feeling...

Then in my door came a client who stood about 6''6", maybe 350 lbs of solid muscle. Football player. "Whatcha doin'' Rich?!"

I explained my dilemna, and he asked me where the stone fell. I showed him, and then he proceeded to get down on his hands and knees and slammed his open palm onto the carpet with a mighty blow.

The ruby popped up about 4 inches from it''s hiding place...

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I have searched for contacts many times...very difficult when you don''t have your contacts with which to SEE! Try using a flashlight
20.gif
to pick up the "shine" of the stone...or a somewhat low powered vacuum , cover the hose with a thin cloth so that the item is pulled up to the cloth, but can''t get pulled onto the vacuum.....(Make sure there are no holes in the cloth!)

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
As a nonprofessional, the method I''ve found easiest is to flip the stone over onto it''s table so it''s upside down. Then, use the tweezers. It''s easier to pinch around the girdle when the stone is upside down.

Otherwise, just use your fingers. Under an idealscope, what finger oils get onto the stone aren''t gonna affect the IS image any.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Love that story, Rich!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jewelers shops usually have tile floors for this reason. I once hired an apprentice who, on her very first day dropped a stone. She rolled her chair back to assume the position and we heard a loud crunch as she rolled her chair wheel over the stone.
6.gif

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

ps. She soon gave up on becoming a jeweler and is now an executive in a major car rental company. In hindsight, this was a very fortunate event for her.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
You don''t have to get on your hands and knees if your chair has wheels, I roll around spead eagle like super-man - it is my weekly yoga rutine.

Like the idea about filtering the vacuum cleaner nosel. Shakable floors too, hmm. The tricks of the trade are never ending on this forum.

Phillip

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 1:46:39 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Rich i wonder if you display the well known plumbers cleavage in that position?
No, but I''ll tell ya, I once had a model working for me with the most incredible.....asset. I delegated as many of the searches to her as I could.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 9:18:39 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Date: 12/28/2004 1:46:39 PM
Rich i wonder if you display the well known plumbers cleavage in that position?
No, but I''ll tell ya, I once had a model working for me with the most incredible.....asset. I delegated as many of the searches to her as I could.
Hey, Hey, Hey!!!
38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2004 11:47:30 PM
Hey icelady - are you pouring cold water over our small titilations?
Come on Garry, we all know what icewater does to ''titilations''!
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
I like it that way!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results