shape
carat
color
clarity

clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowergurl

Rough_Rock
Could anyone give me an "official" definition of the distinction between VS1 and VS2? I have looked online but they all seem to vary a lot. thanks in advance!

twilight

Rough_Rock
Vs1 and VS2 are short for "very slightly included", the difference between 1 and 2 is slight. With a VS1 you would have a hard time finding the inclusions even under a 10x magnification loupe. Where as with VS2 the inclusions are a bit more apparent than VS1. It''s a matter of preference and tradeoffs you could go with a VS2 instead of VS1 and go one better color for close to the same price. Also there are good and bad VS1s and VS2s. Some quality grades are very borderline. I have seen some stones graded as VS2s which were very colose to SI. Hope this helps.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I had always thought that with VS1 and VS2, the degree to which the inclusions can be seen under 10X was the same (earning the VS grade) and what made the difference between the 1 and 2 was the amount of those inclusions... So a VS1 stone might have one and a VS2 stone might have 2 or 3, all with the same degree of visibility...
33.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Words cannot do justice to the art of clarity grading. We can say a VS1 is almost a VVS2 and a VS2 is just a tad better than an SI1. We have not gotten very far with that explanation if you are not clear about VVS2 or SI1, however. A VS1 is less included than VS2. That''s logical enough, but how do you put examples that are visual into words?

I''d say that in round brilliant cut diamonds no one can see anything VS2 or higher wrong with clarity without magnification. VS1 just gives you total assurance, a safety net, so to speak.

I have seen no diamonds with VS2 or better inclusions that I found real fault with in terms of clarity and durability. Certainly in emerald cuts, one might be able to see even a VS1 clarity inclusion without magnification, but not in any other shape unless it would be also a step cut like an emerald cut.

VS1 and VS2 differ in value. Do they differ in utility or beauty? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results