shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire or Alexandrite engagement ring?? Help!!

Sapphire or Alexandrite?

• Blue Sapphire

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Color Change Alexandrite

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Neither!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitten,
The durability (and hardness) of a sapphire and alexandrite are pretty close; definitely great stones for everyday wear.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Chrono,
Thanks! I didn't realize alex was so sturdy--I stand corrected. What's the MOHS number? Just curious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire is a 9 and Alexandrite is a 8.5 on the MOH scale.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Glad my remarks were helpful! :) Ooh, that sapphire looks like it probably goes purplish-blue under fluorescent and bright blue-blue under daylight, am I right? The next thing to a color change, so you get both blue color and seeing different "sides" of a gemstone color, all in one! Hooray! I think that'll be gorgeous.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have never seen an alex in person, please try to do so before you have one set. i have seen a very good stone. however, it didn't perform as much as one would expect unless outside in the sunshine. not a fan.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warning this is coming from someone who had an emerald engagement ring...
As they are both pretty durable stones, I think you should get the stone that you are excited by, that you would love to wear and look at. Getting an engagement ring is typically a once in a lifetime event. Most people do not have the wherewithal to spend that kind of money on jewelry at other times. So get the stone you would love to have, whether it be alexandrite or sapphire.

I have a small color change garnet. While dark, it also did not look muddy, with purple or green colors, or a mix of the two but it did not look brown. It is mezmerizing to look at.

I think the point if you get an alexandrite, to try to see it in person and in both exterior and interior lighting before buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results