shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between ACA Princess Cut (ASET and IS)

carefree

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I am a long time-lurker and first time poster. I must begin by saying that I have learned so much from this community in my search for the perfect engagement ring. I have narrowed my search down to a few diamonds and wanted the opinions of you wise folks.

My budget for the diamond alone is $2500 max. I feel that the quality of the stone is more important than the size. I would like an AGS0000 stone with ASET and IS included (no GIA). I searched Bluenile, Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, James Allen and Brian Gavin.

My criteria were as follows:
Princess Cut
Approx. 0.6ct+
>H
>SI1
Ideal/AGS0

Here are the 2 diamonds that I have narrowed it down to (Images in URL).

(A) 0.603 ct G VVS2 A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideal Princess Cut Diamond
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2675099.htm
Depth % 74.9
Table % 60.4
Crown Angle 36.5
Star 0.0
Pavilion Angle 40.3
Crown % 12.3
Lower Girdle % 0.0
Measurements 4.63x4.63x3.47
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick

I know that black areas on ASET are not good and this stone seems to have quite a few black areas near the centre. Do you guys see this as an issue? Are blue areas necessarily better than black areas? I have also heard that several small black areas can enhance the fire of a stone.

(B) 0.593 ct G VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideal Princess Cut Diamond
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2594757.htm
Depth % 72.6
Table % 62.0
Crown Angle 34.6
Star 0.0
Pavilion Angle 40.3
Crown % 11.6
Lower Girdle % 0.0
Measurements 4.69x4.66x3.38
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium
In the ASET there seems to be a significant amount of blue in the table of this stone, is this an issue? Is there a large enough amount of blue to detract from the brilliance?

I plan on discussing the two stones with WF to get their opinion, but wanted to hear what you all had to say first.

TL;DNR: Which stone do you feel is better based on the info provided? Are there other diamonds that fit my criteria that you can suggest?

Thank you all in advance, your input is greatly appreciated.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
On the first stone, blue is definitely better than black. Also, I believe it is several blue areas that can enhance the look of the stone. You might also consider this one: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9227/

carefree

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply. I do feel that the black areas on the (A) stone are dissuading me. However, do you think option 2 would be better, despite the large blue areas? Thanks for the GOG suggestion, it seems like a excellent option, I will look into it further.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I don't see anything wrong with option 1 (hopefully someone will confirm or deny this), but I don't like option 2, not because of the blue in option 2, but because of all of the light leakage (black areas) towards the corners.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the aset and IS image, the first stone (.60) would be my choice. It also has a more defined
faceting pattern in my opinion.

Edit - I dont think you could go wrong with either of these stones but the first one would be my choice.

carefree

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your posts, your insight is very useful. The the first diamond was my preference as well. I don't have very much experience with diamonds, with respect to how they look in reality vs how they look in images. Are the black areas near the middle of the stone on ASET for (A) something I should be worried about? I know too much black is not good as it shows light leakage, but would you say the amount of black areas on (A) are "too much"? It scares me that they are so close to the center of the stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with the above posts: The GOG stone is the best with the WF 0.6ct second and the WF 0.59 in third.
They are all super stones but with the GOG you get a whole lot more stone for your budget.

carefree

Rough_Rock
Wow, the advice is greatly appreciated. The only thing deterring me from taking the GOG stone is that the price seems too good to be true. Most other AGS0 diamonds in that carat range seem to be much more expensive. Also the AGS certificate is from 2010, so does this suggest that perhaps the stone was purchased but sold again because it is lower quality than reports indicate? Any insight into my thinking about this? Perhaps I'm overthinking it?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is always a huge price jump between colors so that may account for some of the price jump.

That GOG stone is a beauty, and the price is reasonable for what you are getting. I don't think its a steal, nor over priced. I think you are sweating this purchase a little (naturally), it'll be fabulous irl.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
carefree|1333393549|3161831 said:
Wow, the advice is greatly appreciated. The only thing deterring me from taking the GOG stone is that the price seems too good to be true. Most other AGS0 diamonds in that carat range seem to be much more expensive. Also the AGS certificate is from 2010, so does this suggest that perhaps the stone was purchased but sold again because it is lower quality than reports indicate? Any insight into my thinking about this? Perhaps I'm overthinking it?

Or someone upgraded their stone and brought this one back to purchase a much larger one (the beauty of GOG and an upgrade policy!). My cert is from 2007 and I found the previous owner's post here on PS! :) However, that doesn't make it any less beautiful or "new" looking! Or they just have an abundance of stock and in this economic climate, a few stones are always left in stock...

And yes, you're overthinking this, understandably. GOG service is fantastic, btw!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What have you decided Carefree?

carefree

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your help. After discussing the details with WF and getting their opinion between the two, I finally went with the 0.603ct diamond in the sleek line setting also from WF. Seems like some other lucky individual was able to pick up the GOG diamond as well. I am waiting for it to be built now and I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thats great CF, can't wait to see the photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results