shape
carat
color
clarity

What is it with people buying rough these days?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1333128408|3159987 said:
Chrisa222|1333120031|3159879 said:
In the long run, I am sure I am coming out ahead by buying large clean but poorly cut stones and then having them recut. Same can be done with rough if you learn enough about buying it, have trusted vendors, and a willing cutter.

Other than to say that it is thinking like this that gets most into trouble, I will leave your post for those in the trade to respond to.

In the meantime, Chris, I would take the Trade Member tag off, as you are not a member of the trade, unless I'm mistaken.

In the 'American Set' thread, Chris says:

'I know nothing about jewelry...so my comments don't have anything to do with that...

What I do know about is mailing stones. I've been buying and selling stones for a while...done it tons of times, with stones a lot softer than Spinel! In fact, I recently sent a really large Sphene to a cutter to have it precision-cut..and Sphene is only a 5 on the hardness scale! I have not had one single stone that I bought arrive damaged...'

So I guess that does mean trade...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were that easy to get great coloured rough that is clean, sizable, well shaped and inexpensive, we'd all be vacationing at the place of our choice at the moment and not slogging away at our day jobs dreaming of gemstones. I have no idea why PS had a spate of such posters lately. Do you think they are the same person? :tongue:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1333136272|3160081 said:
minousbijoux|1333128408|3159987 said:
Chrisa222|1333120031|3159879 said:
In the long run, I am sure I am coming out ahead by buying large clean but poorly cut stones and then having them recut. Same can be done with rough if you learn enough about buying it, have trusted vendors, and a willing cutter.

Other than to say that it is thinking like this that gets most into trouble, I will leave your post for those in the trade to respond to.

In the meantime, Chris, I would take the Trade Member tag off, as you are not a member of the trade, unless I'm mistaken.

In the 'American Set' thread, Chris says:

'I know nothing about jewelry...so my comments don't have anything to do with that...

What I do know about is mailing stones. I've been buying and selling stones for a while...done it tons of times, with stones a lot softer than Spinel! In fact, I recently sent a really large Sphene to a cutter to have it precision-cut..and Sphene is only a 5 on the hardness scale! I have not had one single stone that I bought arrive damaged...'

So I guess that does mean trade...

Hi Pandora: Thanks for that. But then he needs to decide if he is going to be on this site as a consumer, or as a member of the trade. In a number of posts, he comments on the stones of others as well as other vendors. I believe as a Trade Member that is not allowed? The following is an example of one of his recent posts. I believe this was in a thread on sapphires.

"I just wanted to say that I've dealt with Oilpearl and they are great! Dunno about THAT stone..but, the vendor, yes. Ive contacted them looking for a blue Spinel and they had a bunch, and they steered me away from the one I almost bought (it had a blemish I didn't see) and picked out one for me that..."

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,

I never set the "trade" thing on my account...In fact, I just tried to go into my settings, and my default settings are not set for "trade" they are set as consumer. So I don't know why its there, and..I can't get rid of it.

I wouldn't really consider myself in the trade. Im a collector/buyer/consumer first, but I do sell what I'm "done with" to finance new things/projects, etc. But to answer your question...I didn't put the trade thing there. I'd much rather be a consumer, because I enjoy the discussion of stones.

LOL I never thought I'd become a topic of conversation. Cool. lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results