shape
carat
color
clarity

How big of a color difference would this make (FY setting)?

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Hi all :wavey: -

I saw an earlier post asking people's thoughts about cupping a FY diamond to make its color more intense. My question is slightly narrower- would filling in the gap under the stone you see in the picture I attached make a big different in the color of a FY? Just curious as to whether the effect of under-basket yellow gold would be as substantial as cupping can sometimes be (I'm thinking of the PSer's Y-Z heart cut pendant set in a yellow gold bezel that makes it look like a FY as an example)?

Thanks!

setting.jpg

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
Re: How big of a color difference would this make (FY settin

A secondary question, for those who may know- how hard would it be, after the ring was completed, to get additional gold placed under the stone? Would it require a whole new head?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I had a similar procedure done on a custom setting for a chrysoberyl. I think in my case, the 18K yellow gold did boost the color of the chryso (as well as closed the window, which was my primary goal). Not sure how this would work with a FY diamond, maybe people more experience with diamonds can comment.

The whole setting was custom made by DanielM, and I think he didn't have to take out the stone to add the patch of gold in the back. Here's a link to my post about it:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrysoberyl-set-by-danielm.172372/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrysoberyl-set-by-danielm.172372/[/URL]

(to see the original setting with the open back, click on the link).

Good luck with your project!

ddgdl

Rough_Rock

Thanks! Hopefully someone with yellow diamond experience might have come across this to confirm what you saw with your Chryso.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

a yellow gold cup will definitely boost the color of the yellow diamond... i have a cup on my ring... FLY...

cimg7452.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HI ALL!

Ace- I believe that what you have is a yellow gold under bezel- which is different than a cup. It's a simple wire between the bottom of the stone and the girdle
We can see this because the pavilion of your stone is easily visible in the photo.
The way many cups are made, the entire bottom of the stone is obscured.

To the OP- it's really different in every case.
Depends on the stone the type of prongs, the method of alloying the yellow gold ( there's different colors in "yellow gold")

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ace,
The pavilion of your setting is still quite open and probably would not be considered a cup.

To the OP,
I think having the bottom enclosed might help somewhat but there are trade-offs to this:
1. Possibly less light return which would be a shame for a diamond which has great RI and fire.
2. Possibly more difficult to keep clean as it restricts access, and also lessens light return when a diamond isn't super clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results