shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help - stone is 1mm too small!

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
I'm a lurker who's come out of her shell to request some advice! :read: I'm fairly new to colored stones and even newer to matching up stones with stock ring settings.
So I've been eyeing this 6.5mm LOGR setting. After looking through all of the recommended gemstone vendors I could find, I was able to find two round tourmalines in the blue green color I was looking for. However, one is a 5.5mm stone and the other is an 8mm stone. Now I know I'd be delusional if I thought the 8mm stone would fit in this setting, but what about the 5.5mm? Would the 1mm size difference require custom work by LOGR to change the setting from 6.5mm down to 5.5mm, or do you think a skilled jeweler could make it work? Also, with a halo setting, would the 1mm difference on the stone create a gap between the setting and the stone and make the ring look... stupid? :o
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

223a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a 6.5 mm setting, you need to find stones between 6.0 mm to 7.0 mm. A 5.5 mm stone will end up sitting very high and the setting will need very long prongs for it to work. In short, I would not risk it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Chrono - 5.5 is too small

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sure LOGR would make another ring for you in the right size. They don't charge much to replicate their settings.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would just ask LOGR to make that setting for a 5.5mm stone. They will charge you a custom work fee but it is very reasonable. I have ordered a few settings customized settings from them and have always been happy with my purchase.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is coming from a gemstone lover, not a jewelry lover...

To me there is a pretty good size difference between a 5.5mm stone and a 6.5mm stone. That 5.5 is just a very small stone..that extra mm there will make a big difference...I would absolutely keep looking for the right stone! Again, I am no jewlery expert, and maybe the halo makes a difference, but if you really want to enjoy that colored stone, I would absolutely not sacrifice that size you have to work with.

If we were talking Diamonds, unheated Sapphires, the cost savings is huge, but with Tourmaline...there are many out there to choose from!!

Good luck!

rikalovespearls

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results