shape
carat
color
clarity

Large Center Stone in 3 stone setting. Can you go too big??

Paxonator

Rough_Rock
I'm in the market and my girlfriend mentioned how she liked the 3 stone setting with side diamonds. I went to my local jeweler and the only one they had could hold up to a .5 carat center. I would like to go bigger.

Upon browsing around online I found the settings she liked but am worried that if I go to big on the center stone (ie: .9 carat) it won't look right. Here's an example of what I found for the setting http://www.bluenile.ca/diamond-wedding-ring-white-gold_20371.

I would like to get the largest center stone I can get with the best cut within my budget but I'm feeling that I'd have to really up the setting for it to match. Is there any way of telling if it's going to be proportional without actually seeing it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Large Center Stone in 3 stone setting. Can you go too bi

No, it will look just right. Those settings are supposed to be set with 1 carat-ish stones. Proportion is purely subjective. It's all about what looks good to you.

There is a chart somewhere of stone sizes and proportions. I'm sure someone will be along who will post it for you.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1332972203|3158540 said:
No, it will look just right. Those settings are supposed to be set with 1 carat-ish stones. Proportion is purely subjective. It's all about what looks good to you.

There is a chart somewhere of stone sizes and proportions. I'm sure someone will be along who will post it for you.

Oh ok great. Thanks for the reply. There's only one jewelry store where I live so the selection is very limited. I'll be buying online for the best price and for what I want. Unless they can get close to the same thing and price. I'll have a look for that chart.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Look at these pictures and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/trellis-with-sidestones-18k-white-gold-5558w18
versus
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5679w18
compared to this:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/truth-x-3-18k-white-gold-5450w18 :-o
compared to this:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/open-gallery-accented-18k-white-gold-5448w18

I mean seriously. All different, all beautiful.

By the way, if that's the style you want I would strongly consider this one: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5679w18 It's beautiful, well made, includes the 12 point sidestones (which would be perfect for a 6mm 80-90 point stone). Here's a 90 pointer: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.914-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104055448003 AGS Ideal 0 light performance. You aren't going to get a better cut or performing stone than this.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1332972767|3158549 said:
Would also look good with an 80 point center: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.802-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104055121022 Same deal. Ideal precision cut diamond. Doesn't get any better than this.

Wow thanks for all info and I do agree all those look fantastic!! I haven't actually looked at that company before. Mostly WF and GOG. My goal was to be under $7000 for the diamond and setting.

Oh I also live in Canada in case that changes anything..

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, you can never go too big.

I really like the BGD Queen Dinah setting the Gypsy posted. It would look good with a center stone in the .8-1ct range, for sure. BGD is a well-respected vendor with good quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332973455|3158562 said:
Gypsy|1332972767|3158549 said:
Would also look good with an 80 point center: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.802-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104055121022 Same deal. Ideal precision cut diamond. Doesn't get any better than this.

Wow thanks for all info and I do agree all those look fantastic!! I haven't actually looked at that company before. Mostly WF and GOG. My goal was to be under $7000 for the diamond and setting.

Oh I also live in Canada in case that changes anything..

It doesn't. All the companies listed work well with international buyers.

BGD is Brian Gavin's company. He helped start WF and created the ACA line there. Then decided he wanted to branch out and started BGD. If you do a search for them you will see the raves.

I love that Queen Dinah three stone with pave. And the best thing about it is that the gallery (part directly under the stones) allows for a flush fit band, which most three stones don't. So you lady's wedding band can sit right up next to the engagement ring without any gaps.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

For you budget I would call BGD ask for Lesley and ask if they can work with you for this stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.802-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104055121022 and this setting http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5679w18 out the door for 7k.

:wavey:

ETA: Tell them you are a Pricescoper and that we sent you, it will help and might garner you a discount.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1332974599|3158586 said:

I think I will give them a call because I really like that setting and diamond. I really value suggestions from the members here and trust their picks. I would like the .9 but it's another grand and I'll already be paying tax on it when it hits the border. I'll give them a call now and see what they say.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332974908|3158592 said:
Gypsy|1332974599|3158586 said:

I think I will give them a call because I really like that setting and diamond. I really value suggestions from the members here and trust their picks. I would like the .9 but it's another grand and I'll already be paying tax on it when it hits the border. I'll give them a call now and see what they say.

Good luck! And mention you are a Pricescoper!
And for what it's worth, I wouldn't pay a grand for .2 mm either right now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can check and see what kind of discount they will give you, but their list prices are really high at the moment.

Here are three from WhiteFlash (prices are with the pricescope/wire discount):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2777284.htm ($4371, ACA)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2728086.htm ($4079 and a great deal just because polish is excellent rather than ideal)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2777281.htm (almost .85 cts., $4472)

They have some three stone rings and can order any Vatche setting. Not sure if they can order H Levi or not.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1332977567|3158644 said:
You can check and see what kind of discount they will give you, but their list prices are really high at the moment.

Here are three from WhiteFlash (prices are with the pricescope/wire discount):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2777284.htm ($4371, ACA)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2728086.htm ($4079 and a great deal just because polish is excellent rather than ideal)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2777281.htm (almost .85 cts., $4472)

They have some three stone rings and can order any Vatche setting. Not sure if they can order H Levi or not.

Hmm those are a a little cheaper for pricing. The H Levi would not be a deal breaker by any means. WF has some nice settings as well. Here's one that I like from there http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...an-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1464.htm ($1935 wire price)

and found this for a diamond. making it the total the same price from BG but with a "G" for colorhttp://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763663.htm Or go with one of the ones you posted and save a little money...
Diamond Performance
Eye Clean Yes
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Diamond Information
Item Code AGS-104057140019
Category A CUT ABOVE®
Shape Round
Carat 0.825
Color G
Clarity VS2
Cut Ideal

Diamond Specifications
Depth % 61.6
Table % 56.0
Crown Angle 34.9
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.3
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Measurements 6.03x6.05x3.72
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium

Any reason to choose one company over the other? They both seem to have good reviews from members on here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the Vatche settings are beautiful! That setting is $2895 with .25 (each) side stones, though. So that would leave you $4000. or so which would mean going to one of the H stones. I would ask them if the sidestones price could be reduced by putting H color sides instead of F-G, though. The Vatche is more of a true three stone ring whereas the H Levi is a solitaire setting with .12 accent stones, really. It is still possible that WF could get other diamond three stone settings for you, regardless.

No, one company is not better than the other, and I have dealt with both. They both have wonderful ideal cut diamonds. I buy solely on price from those two vendors.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Oh I never noticed the side stone weights! I do actually favor the H Levi setting though now that I'm comparing them side to side.

Yeah either company probably has excellent diamonds. In the end there would be around a $500 difference if I went with the cheaper ideal cut one from WF, but it would be with the setting I don't like as much. Leslie added a small pricescope discount for myself in the quote. From what I read the hearts and arrows cut from BGD will be fantastic and I really want it to sparkle.

Decisions decisions. I've never been this stressed about a purchase in a long time!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

You have the best diamond searching crew working on your behalf! Look at these ladies bring on the options!!! :appl: :bigsmile: :appl:

The Queen Dinah setting is gorgeous! FWIW - that would be my choice over the WF one. At this point, $500 is probably not a deal breaker one way or another.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Enerchi|1332981143|3158696 said:
You have the best diamond searching crew working on your behalf! Look at these ladies bring on the options!!! :appl: :bigsmile: :appl:

The Queen Dinah setting is gorgeous! FWIW - that would be my choice over the WF one. At this point, $500 is probably not a deal breaker one way or another.

Yes I agree with you for sure!! I've read as much as I could before making any threads and still have so much to learn. I'm very grateful for their help with my search.

Yes the $500 isn't a big issue for getting exactly what you want. Diamond seeker had posted in another thread that WF makes custom settings as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332981562|3158699 said:
Enerchi|1332981143|3158696 said:

Yes I agree with you for sure!! I've read as much as I could before making any threads and still have so much to learn. I'm very grateful for their help with my search.

Yes the $500 isn't a big issue for getting exactly what you want. Diamond seeker had posted in another thread that WF makes custom settings as well.

They do but they won't make an exact copy because of copyright infringement. But if you love the Queen Dinah, it and sounds like you do... just do for the original. H Levi has great quality and the BGD diamond does cost more but they are both in house at the same place so you don't have to worry about setting fees, shipping and insurance while setting. Peace of mind.

:wavey:

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Yes Gypsy both the diamond and setting will be purchased at the same place. As it sounds like things can get complicated if you don't. Then if something happens then the blaming game starts.

I have that diamond and ring reserved at the moment while I mull it over. It's still a scary thing to even purchase it haha!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332992302|3158875 said:
Yes Gypsy both the diamond and setting will be purchased at the same place. As it sounds like things can get complicated if you don't. Then if something happens then the blaming game starts.

I have that diamond and ring reserved at the moment while I mull it over. It's still a scary thing to even purchase it haha!

Oh, yes, but hopefully it's s bubbling exciting type of scary! It's a right of passage. So savor it! You get something gorgeous either way. Really.

And congratulations on taking a big step! :appl:

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1332992453|3158877 said:

Oh, yes, but hopefully it's s bubbling exciting type of scary! It's a right of passage. So savor it! You get something gorgeous either way. Really.

Yes it is the bubbly exciting kind. The only thing I don't like is that I can't see it in person but I feel confident it will look fantastic.

I was hoping for a bigger center but with her liking the side diamonds something had to give. I had thought about backing off to an ideal cut for the center not knowing if I could really see the difference. Then I could bump it up a size.

Now I'm just rambling on... and will go back to looking at the ring :twirl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332992974|3158884 said:
Gypsy|1332992453|3158877 said:

Yes it is the bubbly exciting kind. The only thing I don't like is that I can't see it in person but I feel confident it will look fantastic.

I was hoping for a bigger center but with her liking the side diamonds something had to give. I had thought about backing off to an ideal cut for the center not knowing if I could really see the difference. Then I could bump it up a size.

Now I'm just rambling on... and will go back to looking at the ring :twirl:

I wouldn't back off that. It gives you the maximum sparkle and fire and light. And will look bigger than a slighter larger but less well cut stone. And you get an upgrade policy so if you ever do want to upgrade to a larger stone (5 year anniversary present or something) you can.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Excellent point! I guess I have to decide tomorrow if I'm going to wire the funds over. Then after she gets it maybe she'll buy me that camera lens I've been drooling over :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1332993387|3158886 said:
Excellent point! I guess I have to decide tomorrow if I'm going to wire the funds over. Then after she gets it maybe she'll buy me that camera lens I've been drooling over :lol:

uh..... SHE BETTER!!!

Don't worry Paxonator - you have chosen a GORGEOUS setting and a STUNNING diamond ---- it will be perfect!!! Relax, trust the choices you've made and wire away!!! Congrats on your decisions and so glad you had Gypsy and DS along for the journey :bigsmile: Can't wait to see the glamour shots!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I would go for the H. Levi setting with the BGD stone. Sounds like its just what you want! Let us know what you decide and be sure to share lots of pics!!!

LLCALI

Rough_Rock

My current ring has a 2.4ct center and really tiny side stones! It didn't start out this way, but who's going to refuse an upgrade?? :lol:

I'm actually going to change my setting soon for something more balanced since this one was made for a MUCH smaller center stone. The difference between my center and side stones is drastic, but I do like how it keeps the center stone as the focal point. As long as you choose a setting that is made for your size stone, it will look great!

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Well the funds have been sent. I'll let you know when the ring has arrived, with pictures of course ;-) . Thanks for all the help and suggestions, they were greatly appreciated!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1333047872|3159277 said:
Well the funds have been sent. I'll let you know when the ring has arrived, with pictures of course ;-) . Thanks for all the help and suggestions, they were greatly appreciated!

Which vendor did you go with? Which ring?

Paxonator

Rough_Rock

Went with BGD and got the Queen Dinah setting with the .8 H&A diamond. Now I get to play the waiting game!!

I stopped by my local jeweler first to see what they could do for me but the price gap was to large. He also seem very concerned with the fluorescence being negligible. Mentioned a few times about if she was around a black light it was look purple. I don't really know why he was so concerned about it. He also wasn't happy with the AGS.

Anyways I'm pretty confident it will look fantastic and I just want to see it all finished!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Paxonator|1333090429|3159711 said:
Went with BGD and got the Queen Dinah setting with the .8 H&A diamond. Now I get to play the waiting game!!

I stopped by my local jeweler first to see what they could do for me but the price gap was to large. He also seem very concerned with the fluorescence being negligible. Mentioned a few times about if she was around a black light it was look purple. I don't really know why he was so concerned about it. He also wasn't happy with the AGS.

Anyways I'm pretty confident it will look fantastic and I just want to see it all finished!

FABULOUS CHOICE. I really love and adore that setting. I am excited for you and can't wait for the pics of the completed ring! BGD will give you logo free glamour shots for you to post in the Show Me the Bling forum, so update this thread and let us know that you've posted there when you have the pics!

CONGRATULATIONS! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results