shape
carat
color
clarity

Positive review of Ebay vendor, American Set

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I recently purchased a setting from American Set Co on Ebay. I purchased their trellis setting. The setting appeared to be in good condition, and was VERY substantial and heavy. Initially I was pleased. I dropped it off at the jeweler to be set, along with my red spinel from WildFish, on Tuesday.

They called me this morning and said that, despite the substantial-ness of the setting, that they would be unable to set the stone in the setting because of porosity issues. They said the alloy for the WG was most likely not correct and that they were afraid it would be too brittle and that the prongs would not hold the stone over time. They also said the ring was unfinished: there were small gold "flecks" that were still attached to the profile of the ring underneath the trellis. They were unable to guarantee their work and they would not not set the stone.

I have contacted them and asked for a refund for their product. I am within the return window, but only until tomorrow, and I can't pick the setting up until Tuesday. I will keep this thread updated as to what they say. I do not want to be out $300 for a defective product.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Re: Disappointing experience with Ebay vendor: American Set

Update: Heard from American Set Co. They said that they do not often get complaints of porosity or the unfinished flecks underneath and that they would like to make it right. It was also chipped, very small, on the side, which I did not mention but may so that they don't think I did that. May be a lemon, I am not sure. They are offering to make it right and make me a new ring and also set the stone at no cost. I am not going to have them set the stone (don't want to send it anywhere) but may take them up on the exchange. Can't do anything until Tuesday until I get the mounting back anyway so I will think about it until then. Not sure I want to get another mounting, only to have my jeweler tell me, "We can't set that," but I also want to give them a fair chance. And...I really, really liked the style. IT was quite pretty with my stone, so I wouldn't mind another try.

My jeweler's other complaint was that the setting was not pre-notched. Is a setting always supposed to be? This is a trellis style--I did not think those were supposed to be. It is not in the pic.

They have been professional.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock

Hi. I purchased my platinum semi mount and matching diamond band from Americanset about 2 years ago. It was and still is perfect. It is very heavy, and the diamonds that came in the semi mount are VS quality, and extremely beautiful. Semi mounts are usually not pre notched. The diamond setter does that based on the depth of the stone. I would trust them with my stone, if I wanted to get it set, just insure it when you send it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

do you completely trust the jeweler? many do not like setting a stone they did not source. others do not like using a mount they didn't source. in this instance, the jeweler didn't make $ on either........

given Jeweljunke's response, i would be wondering if my jeweler had the experience necessary to set my stone......

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would be inclined to go with Americanset and let them correct the setting and mount your stone. Send everything insured, have a correspondence chain where they agree to set the stone for free and will send back the ring to you (at their expense).

I have bought 3 semi mounts and none had notches in the prongs because it depended upon my stones, as to where the stone would set, therefore where the seat had to be cut. Just seems like a weird question from your local guy - are they new to the business or is it a new graduate or is bringing in a semi mount for setting something that they are just not familiar with?

My vote would be to trust AmericanSet. They are willing to correct and set for you. Good luck Kitten, hope it goes smoothly for you!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, that's weird that they commented on it not being pre-notched, because I'm aware of very few pre-notched settings for stones, and they are only for calibrated sizes, and are usually considered somewhat, idk, cheap or something but that's not actually the word I'm looking for. If they're pre-notched, you can just pop your stone in at home and bend the prongs over, like the Tripps settings or the Rio Grande click-its or whatever they're called.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for the relies. You know, I did wonder about him saying about the "pre-notched" thing. I didn't really think most semi mounts were pre-notched, but this is only the second time I've ever really done a custom project so I wasn't sure.

He is not new in the business, as far as I know. In fact it's one of the better jewelers around here at least from word of mouth. I have never used him before though--we have only been in the area about three years so I don't have too much experience with jewelers here yet. There is one other guy I could take it to, he is also known to be good, and will sometimes do what other jewelers won't do in terms of desigining, setting, etc. I'll take it on Tuesday to get a 2nd opinion before I drop it off at the PO to go back. Maybe he really is annoyed that I didn't buy anything from him and just won't set it--believe it or not my sister's fiance had the same problem, as he ordered the setting and the stone independently and no one would do it, coming up with all kinds of reasons why they wouldn't. He finally took it to a small mom and pop who did it for him but he had a tough time finding someone who would set it for him without complaining about the setting (too thin) or the stone (too large for setting; actually it is perfect).

I am going to have them make me a new setting I think. If there or if there wasn't porosity, I don't know/can't tell. It seemed pretty sturdy to me, but I'm not a jeweler so perhaps there was. It was unfinished, though, and had the dent and flecks of gold from casting still under the ring. I just thought the jeweler would be able to get rid of the dent with buffing and laser out the flecks--so I didn't bother with telling American SEt until they said they couldn't set it. Perhaps it really is just a lemon: I know others on here have had a great experience with them, and that is actually why I felt comfortable buying a setting off of Ebay. I am looking into insuring the stone before setting through JEweler's Mutual: does anyone know if I can insure just one item? My other rings are already made, and so are already covered under my other insurance, but they will not cover for things when they are being worked on which is a real bummer. (But, TBH, this will be one of the more expensive rings I own--I have a lot of "nice" jewelry, but it was pre-PS jewelry, so much of it is not worth nearly as much as I paid for it, if that makes sense) so I would like this to be covered in setting--because I can't really afford to replace the stone right now and if I take it to Jeweler #2, it won't be covered, as Jeweler #1 is the only one who offered to replace the stone if anything happened to it (and being a spinel, I want it covered).

As far as setting, I am too nervous to send the stone I think. It is not a diamond, it is a red spinel which is quite a bit softer. I just feel better if it stays here with me I think and I can have it done same day. What I may also do is, if the 2nd opinion of the setting is more favorable, just ask them to cover the cost of buffing the dent and removing the casting flecks.

All in all, I would now cautiously recommend them again. They have been really nice and professional and have offered to fix everything.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock

Hi Kitten. I understand if you are too nervous to send your stone, but American Set is located in the Los Angeles Jewelry District and are manufacturers. I would trust them with my stone. But you have to do what you think is right. But it seems your choice is an unknown local jeweler, or a company that is deep in the jewelry business in the LA District. Let us know how it turns out :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's good to know you have come to a decision and that you feel a bit better about the whole experience. I'm glad you are giving them a second chance. Do what you feel is best about your stone tho. Knowing American set is in LA/USA, I'd be inclined to discuss further with them about your setting concerns. Worth a convo! And if you are not comfortable, chat w the other jeweller in your area - see what they have to say about setting your stone.

I haven't had much experience compared with others on PS, but it does take a while before you find a jeweller you can trust and feel comfortable with... and afford! My latest experience with someone new was perfect, but expensive. My original experience was still pricey but they did a crap job. You live and learn and have to try things out for yourself, or the recommendations of others. In my case, I didn't know of anyone using either of the people in my area, but they sure promote a lot of big bus/billboard/radio/TV ads - which I've learned, is not an assurance of quality. :nono:

Hope it all works out for you Kitten!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Thanks! I didn't think about that--about the fact that they were in the LA district. I will at least ask them if they regularly set colored stones and if they would cover it if anything went wrong. And look into covering it from JM.

As far as Jeweler #2, I have used him once to size a ring. He did a good job. But he was also the jeweler though who insisted that because I bought my gem from a vendor based off the internet with a supply chain from Sri Lanka (wildFish) that my stone "must be heated" because "all spinels are heated" and "unheated material is very rare" and "vendors lie." He continued to insist this even after I told him I have a 3rd party cert with, "They will lie too at the labs; I've been to Sri Lanka, everything coming out of there is heated." Mabye somewhat true, but I trust that Ed's material is what it says it is, and I am sure my stone is not heated. IT bothered me that he didn't think I had done any research or knew anything about it.

So I am a little skeptical that he knows his stuff? I'm honestly not sure I'd trust any of the jewelers here 100%. It's not a big area and we don't have a lot to choose from and I've not lived here long enough to really know if there are any others--#1 and #2 get the highest online reveiws on yelp, etc. But I may at least ask them at AS if they have enough experience with Cs. That is a good point you made.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hi,

I know nothing about jewelry...so my comments don't have anything to do with that...

What I do know about is mailing stones. I've been buying and selling stones for a while...done it tons of times, with stones a lot softer than Spinel! In fact, I recently sent a really large Sphene to a cutter to have it precision-cut..and Sphene is only a 5 on the hardness scale! I have not had one single stone that I bought arrive damaged...

As long as you pack it up as best you can in soft tissues or whatever, and then put it in a gem jar or little box, you will be absolutely fine. Then, I would do as others suggested with insurance, more in case it is lost than damaged. As long as you go nuts with packing...do double what you think is enough packing material, there is no way the stone is getting damaged..especially something as hard as a spinel.

The softest stone Ive bought recently was a large flourite..it was simply put in one of those sponge/plastic gem jars (NOT what Im suggesting you do BTW!) and that arrived flawless...Flourite is a 4 on the hardness scale.

I hope this helps your anxiety about shipping..if shipping makes the most sense in this case (which it seems like to me, if the mounting company is willing to give you a new mount and set the stone for free..to me that sounds like a winner..)

Just my 2 cents

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

kitten, based on your subsequent posts i personally would not trust either of the jewelers if it were my stone.

a high rating on yelp does not mean that the people leaving the high marks know anything about color stones, diamonds, or high quality jewelry in general. when it comes to jewelry, i would not put my faith in yelp.

i'm betting American Set has more experience setting color stones than the other two put together.

if you are uncomfortable with mailing your stone and allowing American Set to do the actual setting, is there big city/town within an hour or two that would provide you with better service?

again, i wouldn't trust the two: they have no vested interest in doing it right the first time. if its not, they'll blame your stone or the mounting as the reason for failure. i'm looking at worst case scenario and what a hassle that would be trying to get satisfaction from either of them.

good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would agree with the others that it seems to make sense to send it to American Set. But a few questions. If you do send it to American Set, you don't get to see the setting until after its been set, correct? Second question: have you been able to confirm the porosity issue stated by your jeweler? If the jeweler also complained about the lack of preset notches in the prongs, I would make sure that what the jeweler said is really true about the porosity...

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Actually, I have good news.

I was able to get to the jeweler today due to a change in my work schedule. I picked it up from them, and took it to (don't judge) Jared's (who is NOT the above-mentioned jeweler #2). I initially wanted a 2nd opinion on the setting and I knew they had bench people who work during the day. I didn't plan on leaving it, but the other place wasn't open and the jeweler at the first store was not in either.

Well, long story short, they were able to confirm that the semi mount was indeed, not supposed to be pre-notched (duh) and that it did NOT have problems with porosity. In fact, they said it was a pretty substantial setting. They recommended changing the head out to platinum prongs, but said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the shank. (I opted to leave the prongs gold, which they said was fine, just that platinum was stronger--which I know).

I also asked them about their benchman, his experience with softer colored stones, and their insurance/coverage while the stone is being set. I ended up leaving it with them to set, which I know voids my warranty with American Set but that is okay with me, as they are willing to stand behind their work so if the setting does for any reason turn out faulty, I can purchase another. Here's why I left it there despite the thoughts on here of "maul" jewelers:

1) They were charging me exactly the same as other jewelers I have talked to to set the stone, so I don't feel like they were overpriced with just their bench services (as they are definitely overpriced with their jewelry!). He is not charging me anything extra to clean out the gold flecks that are still there from casting. The price was fair.

2) The benchman who does colored stones at our local Jareds is a certified GIA gemologist who they said regularly both designs his own custom work for private clients and also sets non-diamond stones (and diamonds of course) for Jared's on a regular basis. They have other benchpeople, but only one does colored stones and he is the most experienced.

3) They will insure BOTH the stone and the setting during the process though neither of them was purchased from them, which made me feel as though they stand behind his/their work. I stated a replacement value for the entire ring, both stone and setting, and they put that on the slip with a note that that was to be what was reimbursed if either the setting or the stone was damaged during the work. It's in writing, covered, by the manager of the store, and I would be able to replace either/or at no cost to me if needed.

4) It's done locally, in the store, at the bench in my city. At night it is locked in their safe. I don't have to send it anywhere or worry about it going through the mail or being stolen.

5) All the work comes with a six month warranty, so that leaves me enough time to see if anything is faulty after getting it back.

6) The salesperson who was working with me on the paperwork was very knowledgeable actually about jewelry, not just diamonds, which surprised me because many of them at those chain stores are not (and he did not insist that my stone had to be heated just because it was from Sri Lanka, lol). They had to map the stone for the paperwork and I got to see it under a magnifier at about 30X. IT was so cool, I don't have a loupe so I have not seen the inclusions before. IT looked really neat. :) That part was fun, but not why I decided to do it.

So, I feel I must change this topic if possible to a good review of American Set, and also will say that yes, I would recommend them. I also do want to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Jareds and thought their policies were very fair.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock

Kitten, That all sounds so perfect. All good points, and I would have done the same. I do think that Jared's has come up in the world due to their advertising and having to live up to an expected standard that that type of advertising brings. Sounds like you found a PERFECT place for any future stone setting. Glad to hear all good things Jared had to say about the American Set setting. I would not be ever afraid to order another one from them. Too bad you can't change the title of this post, so others don't get the wrong idea. Maybe you can? I don't know. Now, don't forget, we wants PICTURES! =)

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Re: Experience with Ebay vendor: American Set

I would like to change the title! I'm not sure how to do it though.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

contact the administrators if in doubt re how to change the title.

i'm glad you went with Jared's. it sounds like their benchperson is good.

and i'm hoping you post at yelp re how disappointing the other jeweler was and then do a good review for this benchperson but being specific that they only have one that is color stone savvy.

also, it might be interesting to look into the work this benchman does on the side....might be very affordable should you have a future project.

good work!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Yeah, I thought that too about the custom work he does on the side. I will have to check into that. I'll get it back either today or tomorrow and will post some pics (if I can get them to upload).

I'll contact admin about the title change. EDIT: How? I tried clicking on one of the mod names but it doesn't seem like I can send a PM so I am not sure how to contact them? Do I hit "report post" and just send a message that way?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad things turned out better than expected for you - and also glad you are updating the thread title to reflect the positive outcome!

And, yes, just click the "report concern" button to make your threat title change request to the mods

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

What a great surprise resolution to your situation! So happy that you found someone to set your stone and that you are very happy with their work! :appl:

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Here are the first few pics. They are crappy cell phone pics, I will upload better ones this week. But it gives you the idea. THe spinel is from WildFish and the trellis setting is from American Set, and the setting work done by Jareds. When you look down from the top at certain angles, you can see just a little of the basket outside the stone, but that is because the stone is just slightly "roval" so it doesn't quite fit the setting "perfectly" (but surely not so "unperfectly" as to complain!) In the sun it is so sparkly! IT is not an ering, but I needed my RH to take the pic. It's a RHR.

Edit: specs on stone

Unheated, spinel, red
1.33 carats
Roval, dimensions 7.35X6.80X3.44
Cut: OM/C (native)--I'm guessing some kind of "old mine" is meant by this?

redspinel.jpg

redspinel2cellphonepic.jpg

redspinelprofile.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks beautiful! I look forward to more pictures.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad everything was resolved without too much pain and no shipping hassle. Based on the initial statement by the 1st jeweller, I'd be concerned as well about if he is experienced with setting stones....but thinking about it more, it seems like he was reluctant to set your stone because you didn't purchase the setting from his store. By saying the setting isn't safe, my guess is that he was hoping to steer you into buying one of theirs instead. :nono:

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

Chrono, the more I have thought about it, I think you are also right.

I said something about ordering from him, a different brand, and they said, "Yep, no problems with those!" Later when I talked with an associate (I was grilling them when I picked it up) and they told me they "suspected" porosity. So then I thought, "well does it or doesn't it?" (later confirmed by JAreds, it did not). They do jack the prices up--they wanted almost $1200 for a setting I could get online from the designers site for $850. I know they have overhead, but I think...I think you are right.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely ring. glad it worked out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results