shape
carat
color
clarity

spinel earrings

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These spinels were not matched. I bought them off an ebay website. They are very similar in size (around 2.6 and 2.49 ct) and cut, both are hot pink although they are not cut out of the same piece of rough. I have many Tanzanian spinels and not enough $$ for expensive settings, and these settings were cheap at Intergem show. Two dangles look pretty nice and the upper part is covered by my hair.

These are the stones which I put on a picture in Yavorsky's book, just for comparison. The stones already got dirty and they do not sparkle the same way as when I set them. But just to show the color...

spinbycompar3.jpg

spibycompar2!.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the sun...

outside19!.jpg

outside2!.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the evening

spinel4!.jpg

spinel12.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look very pretty. Any chance of an ear shot? :naughty:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is incandescent light on the table. One can see that they are not color-matched which is not really noticeable when I wear them.

Also, in the shade in the office. They look better-matched during the day.

twoearr2!.jpg

spinel5!.jpg

onthetable2.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKTOB - no ear shots yet. I shall try... our two new cameras have the same problem with close shots and the color in my old one is not adjusted and I doubt it can even be done. Problem is that I have to take a shot of two ears to show that the stones look more matched when worn than when closely compared.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those spinels are so HOT! The nice thing about earring stones is that they don't have to be an exact match in both colour and dimensions. Gorgeous earrings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia|1332707032|3156162 said:
NKTOB - no ear shots yet. I shall try... our two new cameras have the same problem with close shots and the color in my old one is not adjusted and I doubt it can even be done. I wonder if investing into a newer Droid will work out better than buying a new camera.

I like my new iPhone4. The camera has magnification and also will reverse the camera so I can see myself when I attempt an ear shot. I think these new smartphones are better than most point and shoot cameras. The colour accuracy also seems to be better than my point and shoot camera.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, thank you! Perhaps I should mention that they were bought off one of Tan's website over a year ago. TL pointed out one of them to me and I bought the other one planning to compare them and return one back. But they looked pretty nice and saturated so I decided to keep both. I did not plan to mention Tan here because he definitely overcharged me for certifying my recently bought violet spinel. But this is a nostalgic memory of the times when one could buy good Tanzanian material at decent prices. Today's prices for spinel are insane, and good spinel is scarce.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1332707222|3156168 said:
Arkteia|1332707032|3156162 said:
NKTOB - no ear shots yet. I shall try... our two new cameras have the same problem with close shots and the color in my old one is not adjusted and I doubt it can even be done. I wonder if investing into a newer Droid will work out better than buying a new camera.

I like my new iPhone4. The camera has magnification and also will reverse the camera so I can see myself when I attempt an ear shot. I think these new smartphones are better than most point and shoot cameras. The colour accuracy also seems to be better than my point and shoot camera.

My husband has an iPhone and I have a Droid. Droid has excellent color accuracy for green and blue and decent accuracy for orange but turns red into pink, esp. at daytime. iPhone seems better. I shall wait a little bit till I am up for an upgrade and see whether a new Droid is better. It also has reverse camera option.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ark: Nice job. I think they are so closely matched in color that it wouldn't bother me at all, and I am sure they look great on you. Beautiful color!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are amazing!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color and the settings are just my style. Enjoy!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty earrings. The color is great!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good move, Arkteia. Great color & I like the settings -- bet they look terrific on you!

--- Laurie

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What good luck you had finding those two! They look like the richest color of raspberry to me. Enjoy wearing those beauties!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful earrings Arkteia! For non matched stones, they sure look amazing together - love the settings!

Have an iPhone 4 and it really does take amazing photos. I've posted a lot of macro ones on PS as well - very clear (mainly!). Hopefully hubby can post a few ear shots!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Marcy!
Thank you, JewelFreak! I get compliments on them from people who are totally gem-naive, which is very nice to hear.
Thank you, GemFever!

Thank you, Enerchi! This photo was taken today with my Droid, since I never worked with my husband's cellphone camera. I shall try over this week. These are a little bit pinkish, in real life, they are slightly more red, although they are true "hot pink" Tanzanian spinels.

spinelearr1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, TL! I do not remember which one was your advice, and which one was my own initiative, but together they worked quite well, did they not? Well-saturated hot pink spinels, of decent sizes, and bought shortly before the first show that witnessed exponential increase in spinel prices.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful earrings, and I was in awe of the huge pink spinel and the two pairs of asscher cut spinels until I realised it's from the book. :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1332799812|3156826 said:
Beautiful earrings, and I was in awe of the huge pink spinel and the two pairs of asscher cut spinels until I realised it's from the book. :lol:

This exactly! And then I felt quite silly.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous, et al! Delish gumdrops...

cheers--Sharon

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LG!

Thank you, Canuk-gal!

I have a new hobby of "comparing" different spinels to pictures from Yavorsky's book. Just for fun. :lol: This year should be the year of settings, but comparing costs of settings is no fun :(( better "compare" the spinels...

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely earrings. When do we get some ear shots?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the weekend when everyone is at home...

Thank you, Chel180

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Those are terrific!!! They look glamorous, and yet, they look like earrings you can actually wear, too. I actually have an upcoming project wherein I hope to match a stone to an existing stone of mine in order to make earrings and your project gives me hope that mine may work out too! :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Tanzigrrl! I wish you good luck with your project. I wear my hair in a bob, not too short, so the upper portions of the ears are obscured by the hair, but the dangling stones are well-seen. Unless your hair is pulled up, a slight difference in color or size is not noticeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results