shape
carat
color
clarity

Scissor cuts (rectangle shaped) - yay or nay ?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Scissor cuts (rectangle shaped) - yay or nay ?

That is one of the very few cuts that I don't have (and think may be my next venture).

Are you all fans or not? What stones & colors (tones) do they work best in?

Photos appreciated.

Tx.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
YAY. I have a spess and I think its jazzy but not too busy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer long step faceting and scissor cuts in higher RI stones. They make lower RI stones a bit flat looking IMHO.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, I disagree. They would kill demantoids, for example. Or many other garnets, some of which I would buy specifically for high RI. I think they also lighten the color, desaturate it. Imagine a scissor cut mint garnet. I bought a purple tourmaline cut in such a way from Lisa which looks great and I think that darker indicolites will look good because this cut may lighten the color. I once bought a spinel cut in such a way and had to return it because it looked desaturated. This is a fancy cut and could suit fancy stones with unusual color. I shall try to post pictures although with my skills...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia|1332663625|3155923 said:
TL, I disagree. They would kill demantoids, for example. Or many other garnets, some of which I would buy specifically for high RI. I think they also lighten the color, desaturate it. Imagine a scissor cut mint garnet. I bought a purple tourmaline cut in such a way from Lisa which looks great and I think that darker indicolites will look good because this cut may lighten the color. I once bought a spinel cut in such a way and had to return it because it looked desaturated. This is a fancy cut and could suit fancy stones with unusual color. I shall try to post pictures although with my skills...

Artekia,
Thank you. I never saw a scissor cut demantoid, so that's fresh new information for me.

I bought a scissor cut indicolite once, and it had half and half extinction, probably because of the keel shaped cutlet as well. It was a turn off for me. I also have a scissor cut aqua, and since it's such a low RI stone, I wish it had extra faceting. I am thinking of it more like those criss cut diamonds you see advertised. I like the cut on them, but I know they're not for everyone. You added a fresh new perspective for me.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL... I did not see a scissor cut demantoid either, LOL! I said the cut would kill such a stone... Perhaps because it would not be flattering to high RI (otherwise what a good way to cut flat piece of rough!). The most I saw was an antique cushion demantoid... (the best demantoid I ever saw in my life, but oh, what a price!)

Pictures - this is a scissor cut spinel. The assymmetry is due to a tiny corner chipping off when my son dropped it on a tile table... I have to recut it.

Also, my scissor cut tourmaline. It is more purple IRL... interesting color.

scispin9!.jpg

scitourm6.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For stones that the rough material tends to be an elongated rectangular and low RI, it will be beneficial to have it cut as a scissor cut over a plainer step cut pattern. Doing so will also help deepend the colour. As an example, let's say we have a piece of aquamarine rough. The shape is suited for a rectangular outline. In this case, a scissor cut will be a better choice over a plain step cut because it will both deepen the colour and also gives it better light return for such a low RI material.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all ! Much appreciated.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked the mods to remove the pendant posting, I think I totally confused the cuts, sorry. For some reason, it is still there.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like scissor cuts and agree with Arkteia about their benefits with lower-RI and darker stones. I have a few scissor-cut tourmalines, and i think the scissor cut was a perfect use of the material.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results