shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a lab-grown diamond?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Hey Everyone!
I am new to PS and this caught my eye. I know where is CZ and moissanite, but I've never heard of lab grown diamonds, can someone tell me more about these in detail? I would appreciate it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my diamonds and just thought I'd inquire about it.

Would you also be kind enough to show me a lab created diamond? And a side by side of a lab and real diamond?

Thank you

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Anyone...? Can someone provide a thread of a previous topic?

Sorry I'm a newbie. :((

Thanks!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Previous thread of what a lab grown diamond is...just wanted to clarify.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Stonecold...I really appreciate it. :)

Moto

Rough_Rock
i read that lab grown diamond will lost its shine etc after sometime? its not like diamonds where u clean it with solution and its sparking clean.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, synthetic diamond is a diamond. What you read is probably a simulant, probably CZ, much lower hardness, thus scratch much easier.

Moto

Rough_Rock
yup i just read through and seem to be a lab grown diamond from Gemesis? is a real diamond. I went to their site, they do not sell direct and the price isnt cheap (fancy color sold at CARAT) compared to simulated by CARAT*

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Synthetic diamonds in the white and near-white colors aren't significantly less expensive than similar mined stones. In certain fancy colors, like reds, blues and purples, the naturals range from psycho-expensive to simply unavailable, so the synthetics are vastly less expensive. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Gemesis sells through dealers all over the country. If you can't find one with the usual sorts of searching, ring them up and ask for a referral to a dealer in your area.

Non-diamond alternatives that look sort of like diamonds are widely available and mostly very inexpensive.

perfectring

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I just have a quick query I hope someone can assist with. I am new to the concept of lab diamonds and just wondering if it is possible to mount in an 18ct gold band. Just wondering if they are prone to cracking or can they withstand similar heat to mined diamonds? Thanks

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
perfectring|1314553555|3003642 said:
Hi all,
I just have a quick query I hope someone can assist with. I am new to the concept of lab diamonds and just wondering if it is possible to mount in an 18ct gold band. Just wondering if they are prone to cracking or can they withstand similar heat to mined diamonds? Thanks
They're diamonds in every sense of the word. They have the same physical attributes as mined diamonds. The karatage of the mounting has nothing whatever to do with it. Be aware that there are lots of things being sold in the market as synthetic diamonds that are indeed synthetic but that are NOT, in fact, diamonds and you may encounter durability problems with these. It will depend on what they actually are. Some are better than others.

Dessertdarling

Rough_Rock
Hello friends,

Lab-diamonds also have virtually no impact on the environment, lab-grown diamond only they cost about 15 percent less than other stones of similar size and quality. The reason: They were produced in a lab. How a new generation of high-quality diamonds is shaking up the jewellery world.

Best regards
John Smith

Hanul

Rough_Rock
This article is a tad bit old, but it is still very informative and relevant about cultured (synthetic) diamonds:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Cultured diamonds are identical to mined diamonds, except their point of origin. If you got a cvd diamond and compared it to a mined diamond, there'd be no way you could tell the difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results