shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloth Diapers?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
They're stay-dry inserts. I think a few pages ago, somebody (maybe Phoenixgirl?) suggested I stay away from organic as they take longer to dry and I don't have a dryer.
I'm beginning to get worried about my addiction. I just ordered another cover (this time "sweet"), and a pack of 3 inserts. The cover was 20% off and I just couldn't resist. :oops:

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Pancake: PSA - bambooties are on sale through brandsexclusive at the moment!

On your recommendation, I bought a mix of Easy Peasy and Easy Dry in small and medium. They are so cute!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I know Bobbin - it's been a crazy few days of Bambooty hoarding for me, Ozsale had them on sale the other day, a few days after Mum's Little Outlet had a sale on all stock, and then they're on BrandsExclusive today! I have bought about 12 mediums as to be honest, they are just so easy to use and they fit Sylvie really well so I'd like them to make up at least half my stash for the next few months! I also bought a 6 pack of Itti Bitti D'lish AIOs as Itti Bitti had a 20% off offer, and I have been told that they are really absorbent, soft and trim - so hopefully they should be good for our little S too.

Make sure you don't buy too many of anything until your bubba arrives though! They are all cut really differently and it definitely depends on the build of your baby.

Many of the MCN retailers and labels in Australia have Facebook pages where they post discounts, special offers, giveaways etc - it might be worth your while signing up too!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a pic of Alice in her Lil Joey but I"m too tired to upload it . . .

Just wanted to say that we've been using the CDs since we got home and they're going great. The Lil Joeys obviously won't fit forever, but we knew that. We've had her in the Swaddlebees Simplex (great fit) and last night DH put her in a Happy Heinys mini one size (bulky but still worked fine because it has a really low rise). We're already throwing diapers in the wash for Claire so it's seemed like a really easy transition so far. I did buy a pack of disposables and we took some from the hospital but we haven't gotten them out yet.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, I'm so happy to see you back on this thread!

Glad to hear that everything is going well with baby Alice and her CDs, and looking forward to some pics of her modeling some.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I know you need to use special diaper rash cream with cloth diapers, but can you use baby powder?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have experience with 'softbums'? Any thoughts on the quality?

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
We finally transitioned into the OS Fuzzibuns, after being in cotton prefolds and fitted kissas. Although I do love that they are not sopping wet against her skin, wholly molly amonia smell! I had no idea that microfiber did that (but I have since read it is common, especially over night.) Thankfully, I had only gotten 4 so far, and 4 more Charlie Bananas (that won't fit for a while so I can't compare yet).

I quickly started researching my cotton options and decided to try Grovia and Swaddlebees AIO. It's only been two weeks, but I LOVE them! Besides the adorableness of the patterns, the absorbency is great. I'm impressed that with so much more "absorbing power" than the prefolds, they keep the wetness away from her skin, dare I say, as well as the microfleece. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Grovia as OS will take us most of the way, though reviews seem to say it depends on the kid.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Has anybody used the Sweetpea AI3 diaper?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Mayer, never heard of those. I'm curious though so inter-googling now...

Does anyone use snaps as closures for their cloth diapers? Some of my Kissa AIOs the snaps don't snap really tightly shut. So it kind of pops open with little effort. Is it that the diaper is too tight? Or is there something else I can do? These are the trial diapers.

Thanks,
LC

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, if people haven't heard of them it's probably a bad sign...

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
LC-I wonder if since they are trial diapers if the snaps have been used past their ability? I had kissa fitted cloth diapers and that never happened. I am using different snap aio now, and they are so strong, I worry about being careful to not pull the fabric around them too much.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
It's not really the fabric around the snaps, just the snaps themselves. Maybe there's gunk in them? I dunno. The trial diapers are really good condition, but it is entirely possible that they were just used hard... :confused:

What AIO snaps do you have? Does anyone have DH's that have a preference? I asked DH what he liked and he likes pockets/AIOs and he prefers velcro over snaps.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
We have Bambooties, Green Acre Designs, Itti Bittis, BumGenius, Charlie Banana, Designerbums and Bumcheeks - some are AIOs, some pockets, but all with snaps (we also have others with velcro/aplix). So far I've only used the Bambooty and GADs, but have had no problems with the snaps. Ditto our Weehuggers covers with snaps. It sounds like the ones on your trial Kissas are probably just worn out?

Hubby hasn't used cloth much yet, but hasn't complained about any of the options so far :lol:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayerling - I have a Soft Bums Omni. It is not my favorite. It seems smaller than my other OSs, and I used to have leaks with it all the time. I never purchased the pods to go with them, but instead stuffed with a MF insert, per their websites instruction. I think maybe with the pod, it would have worked out better, but I was not intending to start their system. Really, I just wanted the giraffe print. ;))

LC - I don't think my DH has a preference for velcro vs. snaps, but I sure do. I much prefer the velcro! I only send velcro to daycare too, because it just seems so much easier to me. I know lots of people prefer snaps though, and I'm not sure why, other than laundering concerns. Do you have a preference? How do you like your Tots Bots minis? I cannot say enough about how much I love my TBEFs! I am going to order some of the new London prints when they are available here on April 1.

Puppmom - Are you loving your Tots Bots yet? Or, not loving the non-stay-dryness of the interior?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
LV, I'm getting some leaking with my Tot Bot Minis. It's just urine, so maybe Ethan is just a really heavy wetter? Should I try changing him more often? I like how they wash though.

Also how tight do you guys make your diapers on your LOs? Do you really tug on it to get it snug? I worry it'll cut of circulation or he'll be uncomfortable....

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, could you give me some feedback on my NB-small stash?

This is what I have:
6 fitted NB kissaluvs
2 NB Bummis Covers
1 small Bummis Covers
2 sm thirsties covers
6 sm AI2 (no brand, not sure of weight range)
2 nb AIO kissaluvs
3 sm bambooty AIO
4 OSFM cushie tushies (AI2)
1 wool cover

Is this enough? Would you bother buying some prefolds as well? I was looking at prefolds which have a newborn and an infant size, seeing as I have other AIO/AI2 options and the fitteds, should I just get the infant size and skip the newborn?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Bobbin, you've got a fair bit of covers, but only 6 fitted Kissa's. I use some NB prefolds with my covers too so I can stretch my wash time out a little more. All together, it looks like you'll have 21 diapers ready to go at one time. THat should get you through 1 day + time for laundry to be done.

~LC

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, thanks Kunzite! I bought 3 to jump on the Flip bandwagon. I also checked my shower stash and found some AIO/Pockets that can fit Ethan now that he's bigger. 2 BumGenius, 1 FuzziBunz, 1 Blueberry, 2 Kissa Marvel AIOs. So I tossed those into the wash too. Hooray!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I already have 5 flips - which I bought at a higher price :( Must.resist.buying.more...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have some pics to share! ;-)

I'm loving the cloth diapers - I honestly don't really get why people do disposables at first because the cloth is so easy with a newborn. True, I'd already gotten used to it with an older child (started at 9 months with Claire) but I remember having a lot more blowouts with disposables.

I think Alice is waking up to eat so I'll make this fast. Here are some pics of her in her diapers and my thoughts on them.

Oh, and for reference, Alice was 7 pounds 11 ounces on Friday. She was 8 pounds 8 ounces at birth, but I had a bag of IV fluid and was chugging an electrolyte drink to keep my blood pressure from dropping, so I think she was born swollen, so to speak. She is peeing and pooping like a champ (soaking her pocket diaper inserts and has even leaked through a couple) and gaining 0.5 ounce a day, so I'm not concerned.

FuzziBunz XS in snaps - the absorbency is good, but I prefer the aplix (even though I know from experience that it doesn't hold up well) for fit.

FuzziBunz XS with aplix - see above.

BumGenius Newborn AIO - love this. Fits super trim. I wish I had more - I only have one because I thought I wouldn't like it, but I've got a second one in pretty pink on the way.

fuzzibunzsnaps315.jpg

fuzzibunzaplix318.jpg

bumgenius318.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Happy Heiny Mini One Size - of the three "mini one size" diapers I have, this one fits the trimmest (the others are Tiny Tush Elite - way too bulky - and Blueberry Mini Deluxe, which I haven't tried yet but which looks bulkier too). The velcro makes diaper chains in the wash (DH isn't doing the laundry tabs) but nothing has been ruined yet.

Lil Joey - has the best fit around the legs, but I don't love the bulk, and as reviews said, they've leaked a few times which is silly since it's so plush/thick. If I knew then what I know now, I'd rather have BumGenius AIOs, but they were good before the cord fell off.

Last but not least, Swaddlebees Simplex Newborn - I really like these. They are very absorbent with the cotton birdseye.

OK, baby really crying now, gotta go!

hhmini318.jpg

liljoey318.jpg

swadsimplex318.jpg

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl, it's good to see you back! :appl:
Alice looks adorable :love:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lliang_chi|1331740047|3148407 said:
LV, I'm getting some leaking with my Tot Bot Minis. It's just urine, so maybe Ethan is just a really heavy wetter? Should I try changing him more often? I like how they wash though.

Also how tight do you guys make your diapers on your LOs? Do you really tug on it to get it snug? I worry it'll cut of circulation or he'll be uncomfortable....

Hi LC,

Just seeing this. Assuming the diapers are not feeling very wet/soaked when you change, then I am sure it's a fit issue. Do the minis have snap ups to make them smaller? We recently went to the full size on our regular tots bots (so no snaps are snapped up), and I've been tugging the top of the front of the diaper up just a little, and then securing the aplix so that it does not line up perfectly, but so the tabs are off-center lower. Does that makes sense? It seems like the legs get a little more snug that way.

As far as how tight, I've never been one to make them super tight. I've noticed lines along the legs at time, but never at the waist. I have noticed that the secureness/tightness at the waist does affect secureness at the legs.

PG - Cuite baby girl! In such cute tiny tiny diapers!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LV, I'll try that. The TotBots tinis don't have any snaps for resizing. But I think I realized what the problem was. If I leave Ethan's penis pointed up towards the waist band his pee will leak out. But if I tuck it back down so it's pointed into the diaper it doesn't. Sounds pretty elementary, but it took me a while to get that... I shared this tip with DH and now his diapers aren't leaking at all. :)

And (touch wood) so far no poop-explosions yet. They've all be contained within the diaper.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LC, you gotta tuck the pee pee down! They told us that in the hospital or we would have never known! :lol:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Pupp, yeah, we did that when we were changing Ethan's gauze etc, but afterwards when we were on cloth, for whatever reason it didn't occur to us to keep doing it. DUH! Rookie mistake. :)

I got confirmation on my Flip diaper shipment. Hooray! looking forward to it. And is it just me but OMG, you have to wash BumGenius diapers *SIX* times before starting to use them! Holy cow! I need ONE MORE WASH before I can add them to my diaper rotation.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Quick Q: When did all you CD mamas start using OSFM on your babies? I have a heap of BGs, Charlie Banans, Flips etc that are washed and ready in boxes. S is now about 22.5" long and weighs prob around 9lb 11oz.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results