shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional cut diamond pricing help!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler shows me this transitional cut diamond today and I really like it. Since it's in a setting already he told me it's around 0.90-0.95ct I color and SI2(looks pretty clean to me).
Since it's a preowned ring can anyone give me a price range of what will be a fair 2nd hand market value?
Thank you

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. Since it's in person and you can see it and evaluate it and stick it under a microscope (I suggest doing this)... I would pay a bit more than I would someplace like ebay.

It's in a setting so jewelers do mark up for a set ring.

IMO a great price is 1750 or so. A very fair price is 2250. Overpriced is 3000ish. Depending on the setting. If it's platinum and lovely and in nice shape has a love of period filigree or sidestones... that's different. But you are asking me what I'd be willing to pay for the stone-- that's my 'mental' range.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gyspy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ctJ-VS2-Vintage-antique-art-deco-european-diamond-solitaire-ring-14k-/200726255079?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2ebc3795e7 I love this one. It's beautiful. Probably 90-98 points. Could be M (this seller grades generously, but I can't judge the tint in these pics) but I'm betting it faces up like a J. And it's 2,500. Which is not a steal, and fair to retail (considering the color) for that beautiful faceting. Very safe purchase though. You already know the faceting is lovely with the marco pics and that it's eyeclean. Good spread at 6.2.

Yours is higher color, but this one has much better clarity.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you love it? Have you seen it in various lighting? What is the setting like?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ctJ-VS2-Vintage-antique-art-deco-european-diamond-solitaire-ring-14k-/200726255079?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2ebc3795e7 I love this one. It's beautiful. Probably 90-98 points. Could be M (this seller grades generously, but I can't judge the tint in these pics) but I'm betting it faces up like a J. And it's 2,500. Which is not a steal, and fair to retail (considering the color) for that beautiful faceting. Very safe purchase though. You already know the faceting is lovely with the marco pics and that it's eyeclean. Good spread at 6.2.

Great find- when it's my turn to go shopping I'm calling you :)

steelmagnolia

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1332136352|3151847 said:

Oh, horrible find. Awful! Wouldn't buy that for anything!

Kiddin! :razz: I may or may not have already been in discussion with this seller about this LOL I was hoping no one here would see it but should have known better. A girl can dream :saint:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess the price he gave me was over priced for sure then. it's over $3k for just the stone alone. So glad I have you guys to ask :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And those prices Gyspy quoted are good if you want to KEEP the stone. If you thought you might ever sell it and want to make a little something, then you need to aim even lower.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1332170277|3152006 said:
And those prices Gyspy quoted are good if you want to KEEP the stone. If you thought you might ever sell it and want to make a little something, then you need to aim even lower.
I don't think he will work on the price with me consider it's a store, they buy low and sell high :blackeye:
Sometimes I think if I have a store I'd have all those wonderful diamonds for cheap but then I may quickly run out of business since I wouldn't want to sell them :Up_to_something:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:

Great point!

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Transitionals are hard to price. There is not one "cut". Some have open culets - others do not.

My early transitional looks more like an oec (like the Ebay posting listed) and my late transitional cut in Europe for the American market looks more like a modern brilliant only with a slightly higher crown and teeny tiny culet. Both are great performers, but the later transitional has so much more WOW factor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results