shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find an engagement ring!!!!

Lookingforaring

Rough_Rock
ahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I’m looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend and I could use some help. I came across this beauty on pricescope:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-vintage-find.138111/

file.jpg

I think this is one of the most beautiful rings I’ve seen and I have trouble finding anything that compares to it.
I like it how it’s a round diamond but the setting is square and that it’s very elegant and not too flashy. Pleeeaaaase let me know if you’ve seen anything similar to this or have other suggestions. My price cap is probably around 12K.
Thanks so much in advance!

file.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd look at Jewels by Erica Grace- they specialize in antique and vintage rings.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lookingforaring!

I agree with you that the ring you posted is gorgeous...but I'm wondering if your gf would be ok with having an antique/vintage ering? Don't get me wrong, I love them but some women may not want to have one for an ering, it's all up to individual taste and style. A few things to keep in mind - an antique ring may not be in "pristine" condition and the older cut diamonds in them are different from modern round brilliants. The diamonds in these rings are often Old European cuts, which usually means a small table, higher crown and a different facet pattern from modern round cuts. Oftentimes these stones will also be a higher color, say from I and up. (although it's possible to find higher color oecs) The diamonds could also be transitional or old mine, again a different look. Honestly, I'm not trying to be obnoxious or discourage you but I would just make sure somehow that your gf is ok with an antique/vintage ring. If you know for sure she would be happy with one, then just accept my apology and ignore me! :cheeky:

This site has some pretty antique rings and reproduction settings:
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=20

You could try etsy as well:
http://www.etsy.com/

Here are two I found on ebay,-the stones might show more color than you're comfortable with and I haven't purchases from these sellers, but I thought I'd post since the settings are similar to what you're interested in. Another thing about these older stones/rings is that you really have to see them in person so check return policies, and unfortunately the pics provided are not always the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220921988585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1125

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220876395537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_807wt_876

This one is transitional - note the larger table.

You could also look around in your area for shops that sell antique/vintage jewelry.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may want to ask that this get moved over to Rocky Talky. There seems to be more traffic over there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW that is gorgeous.

I would CALL (he's much better on the phone) get a quote from Mark at Engagement Rings Direct for the setting and ask if he knows of a center for you. I think with Mark's pricing, his contacts in the NJ, and his recent forays into lovely Art Deco styles he would be a good fit for this project.

Lookingforaring

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for all the posts! I’m sorry for not responding earlier. I’ve been incredibly busy with school/work and most of my spare time I spent with the girlfriend so I couldn’t respond. I really appreciate your help. I’ve been checking on the links and there are many rings that I liked. Please feel free to post more.

Junebug17:

Whether she will like an antique engagement ring is definitely one of my concerns. She’s not really into jewelry to begin with and she’s managed to express her dislike for (typical) engagement rings. She does have an antique ring that her mom gave her that she really likes (it’s the only ring she owns or at least wears). I’m probably way more picky about these then she is.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
If she likes unique/one of a kind, then I think she would like an antique. In looking at them, there are some that just sing out and have a really neat feel to them. You can also be lucky enough to find one that you have the "story" on and have that handy if she wants it. I know I picked one for its story AND beauty.
Also, many of my friends have been hitting their husbands up for antique stones after seeing mine b/c of the uniqueness and also because they like the softer "color" of the diamond (ie. lower color grade- it isn't as bright white...which I prefer). Most were hand cut and there is a limited supply of true antique diamonds out there.
It may creep some out to have a used ring, but I prefer the term "reincarnated"- ready to begin a new life.

Shop for both new and old. You never know what you will find! Now to go oogle everyone's links.... :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results