shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct L "excellent" princess, color/cut v size

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So it wasn't what I was hunting for but I stumbled across this 2ct that is priced about the same as the 1.25ct's that I've been looking at. There is no way my budget would stretch to a 1.5ct or so I thought... I should state that I am not color or clarity sensitive and would think nothing of a J, SI1 but "Excellent" is as low as I'll go on cut quality as I want super sparkly.

2.01ct, 6.95x6.94x5.04, L VS2, GIA cert,

Depth: 72.6%
Table: 63.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Fluorescence: Medium blue, with no negative effects.
Ratio: 1.00

I know I am sacrificing a color to get the size but is it worth it? It would be at least 6K+ more for a 2ct I VS2 when I do a PS vendor GIA search.

Also I am looking to bezel set and worry how this would look.

close up.jpg

aset.jpg

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a beautiful stone. Color is a personal decision, only you can decide if it's right for you. It looks like this is a JA stone and they have a great return policy so if I were you I would order it and play around with it in different lighting situations and decide if you love it:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!

If you can embrace the slight tint - not try to hide it, I mean, there's just no way to make an L princess of that size look "white" to the close observer - I think it could be a great find! One thing to consider - princesses do show more colour at the corners. I'd definitely recommend having it shipped out to look at before you have it set, especially since you want a bezel - you want to be certain that you love it!

I'm totally biased but... an unplated Ni-wg bezel bezet-style... I'd be fighting the urge to devour it :devil:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1331752094|3148607 said:
Nice!

If you can embrace the slight tint - not try to hide it, I mean, there's just no way to make an L princess of that size look "white" to the close observer - I think it could be a great find! One thing to consider - princesses do show more colour at the corners. I'd definitely recommend having it shipped out to look at before you have it set, especially since you want a bezel - you want to be certain that you love it!

I'm totally biased but... an unplated Ni-wg bezel bezet-style... I'd be fighting the urge to devour it :devil:

totally agree- I think you will see a tint- but if you set it right and embrace instead of trying to hide it - it will be stunning :)

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I rather like the soft ivory/vintage lace color I see in a lot of PSers AVC/AVR's but I've not seen a picture of a lower color princess before and wonder how it will look in such a modern setting. I want a very stark, modern, square bezel solitair, Tiffany bezet style. 100% that setting but I'm not sure if this is the diamond for it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll say that I chose a 1.5 ct G/H Asscher over a 3 ct K w/blue flor -- it was a light gingerale color and I didn't like it w/my coloring & color sensitivity.

Not sure I've ever seen a princess in "L" -- but I have noticed that princesses tend to show a lot more color than RBs -- even when well cut. If it bothers you even a little bit now -- it will probably DRIVE YOU NUTS later.

However, if you LOVE it & love the warmth (which may intensify inside a halo setting) - go for it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chel180|1331763640|3148741 said:
I rather like the soft ivory/vintage lace color I see in a lot of PSers AVC/AVR's but I've not seen a picture of a lower color princess before and wonder how it will look in such a modern setting. I want a very stark, modern, square bezel solitair, Tiffany bezet style. 100% that setting but I'm not sure if this is the diamond for it.

I have to change my opinion - based on this description the stone does not sound like a good fit at all.

Princesses are very, very different animals from those antique cushions - they're harsh and stark, and like I said earlier they will show colour unevenly - the corners will be more tinted than the middle. I imagine a lower coloured princess in a bezel could be a very unique (and IMO attractive) look, but I'm not seeing stark/modern/bold...

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just want to say that I find the lower colors of AVC's attractive but I really do not like the cut. I generally don't do vintage anything. I have an I princess and the color in that isn't negatively noticeable to me.

Its still a risky buy and I'm just not certain. I don't want to buy if I'm expecting to return it.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I really think buying it would be you best option. It's hard to guess by pictures on a screen if your going to love it. I still think you best bet would be playing around with it in different lighting and just seeing if the color is something that bothers you. If the color doesn't bother you then I think you have found your stone:)

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I have an L GIA excellent round with a strong blue and it only shows a tiny bit of yellow in direct sunlight. All other time it is very white. Sometimes it looks a little peachy.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I am going to pass on the stone. I think that whilst it may be a lovely stone it has a high potential to look wrong it the simple, modern bezel that I have my heart set on. If I would into a prong set ering then it would be an easy choice. And I'd get this 2ct for the price of a 1.2ct!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
2ct L "excellent" princess, color/cut v size

So the search continues

slg47

Ideal_Rock
chel180|1331831475|3149297 said:
I think I am going to pass on the stone. I think that whilst it may be a lovely stone it has a high potential to look wrong it the simple, modern bezel that I have my heart set on. If I would into a prong set ering then it would be an easy choice. And I'd get this 2ct for the price of a 1.2ct!

with the bezel the 1.2 will have more presence on the hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results