shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts about this vintage platinum and diamond mounting?

bianka

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I've never purchased a mounting before and am considering this one.

About 5 grams of platinum with g-h diamonds totaling under .60. I like that it is simple yet has an interesting, quasi-art deco side view. I am concerned that it seems slightly bent in the last picture (towards the bottom of the ring). Any thoughts about whether or not to purchase this? It's less than $700.

Thank you for your help as always.

bianka1.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Thoughts about this vintage platinum and diamond mountin

It does look bent and looks like it's thinning a little (which happens with wear). I don't know at what point you would need to have it re-shanked (again, the pros can give you an idea of price) which one jeweler quoted me $500. I recently bought a ring and they did this as a part of our purchase agreement. You can ask?

Are you looking at this for price or do you love this style? I had a strict budget on mine, but I lucked out in finding one I loved and under budget. The members here are excellent at finding the hidden deals if you are open to it. I think it is lovely- and platinum to boot. Seems like a good price....

Hoping the technical experts chime in here for you....

bianka

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much vinjewels; that was very helpful. I had never heard of reshanking before your reply and, yep, this seems to be quite the candidate for it. I *like* the setting but I *love* the price so that leaves me sort of ambivalent. I probably need to continue to do some aesthetic soul-searching. I'm all over the map; I like very clean lines, very ornate stuff, platinum and 22K gold. So it's hard to figure out what to buy and I'm eager --maybe over-eager?-- to buy something. I really appreciate the education. :read:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I did some asking and I don't think re-shanking is as much as I was quoted (another long story), but glad it helped. I understand the over-eager part! I have been without a wedding ring for a year and a half almost and am SO ready to have my project complete. However, some of the times I have jumped at something I thought was great, I ended up finding something better a little while later.

I would start a thread stating your budget and a few pics/examples of your tastes (even if the pieces are a little above budget). PS members can list some links for you. I have seen them find some REALLY beautiful pieces for good prices. They can also give you advice on the buying process.

Good luck to ya!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results