shape
carat
color
clarity

Paris dilemmas

red_men85

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site and stumbled across the forums when I was doing a bit of research into Paris, and where the best places might be to propose. I've seen some other Paris-based topics aswell, which are helpful, but I'm fairly nervous about the whole thing and don't know Paris at all - so any help would be much appreciated.

I've booked to go to Paris with my other half for 3 nights at the end of April. The second night will be our 5 year anniversary of being together and I had initially thought about doing it then. For a number of reasons I now think the first night is the better bet - it will mean I can enjoy the rest of the trip without being wracked by nerves, for example. Also, my other half has always wanted to go to the ballet and the only night I could get ballet tickets was the first night that we are there, so that's what we'll be doing.

My vague plan is to propose after the ballet. It's at the Palais Garnier operahouse and, since I've never been to Paris, I don't know what is near there and whether there are any suitable spots. Bear in mind it will be after 10pm by the time the ballet finishes, so will be dark.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and tips as to whether there are any nice spots around there for me to do it. I don't want it to be a public affair so crowded places aren't really an option. Equally I'll be avoiding places where there might be homeless people or dodgy characters!

The alternative might be to do it before the ballet, whilst it's still light outside. The only issue I have with that is that we won't have been in Paris long (only a few hours) and it seems better to do it after we've enjoyed a special evening.

Any thoughts or tips are welcome!
Thanks

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I'm no help as to locations and so on, but I agree proposing the first night will allow you to enjoy your trip the most. I think you should do it before the ballet. Otherwise, you may be nervous the whole time and not enjoy that, either. Plus, she'll love being able to wear her new jewel out for a fancy evening. Just my advice, but any way you do it, congratulations!

damons

Shiny_Rock
I have never been to Paris, so I am not speaking from personal experience...but, 2 of my friends are in Paris right now for their honeymoon. Yesterday, they went to a place called the luxembourg gardens (jardin du luxembourg). They put some pictures up on their facebook page, and it looks absolutely beautiful.

Again, I don't know where it is, but I am sure you can find out from a basic internet search.

Also, you will likely be dealing with jet-lag, so your first night there, you can explore Paris while everyone else is sleeping. My friends said that the first night they were there, they went to the Eiffel Tower and it was beautiful. It was all lit up, and there was no one around because it was so late at night. Just a thought.

I agree that proposing the first night would be nice. Then you can enjoy the rest of your trip as an engaged couple. Also, if she has any thought that you are going to propose, she might expect it to be on the night of your anniversary. Doing on the first night might throw her off and surprise her.

Good luck.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Will you have enough time for a cruise down the River Seine before the ballet? that would be romantic....you may even be able to reserve the whole boat so you don't have an audience.

Otherwise, the top of the Eiffel Tower or the top of the arc d'triomphe would give you a great view. Or if you are into art, how about at the Louvre museum? In front of the Mona Lisa or the Venus de. Milo statue?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results