shape
carat
color
clarity

the old color question...different though. Please help!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I can't find any threads discussing this, but I "came across" a ring that I am considering for myself with a very very slight champagne tint. It is being sold as an OMC, but I will swear its somewhere between a tranny and OEC. The culet is too small and it's too round and symmetrical. I also disagree with the color. They say L/M. I can't see it.

Anyway, I held it under flor. lighting, indirect natural light, etc. and only noticed the color because my eyes are used to seeing the normal slight buttery tint of an antique diamond. The champagne almost makes it look whiter? Am I seeing this? Usually, I can kind of see the difference in the lower colors especially when set in rhodium plated w.g. or platinum. This had almost no difference (18kt rp white gold).

My question is #1, is there another light source that would show the color a little more? I always thought indirect natural light would show tint best? I know the store lighting is kept low for a reason.

#2, what effect does the champagne tint have on value as opposed to the more common yellow tint (slight on both, it faces up white as can be).

I will post pics when I see it again this evening...

Thanks so much!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
By champagne do you mean brown? I know people call very light brown diamonds champagne-colored. Just trying to clarify.

Also, which lab did the cert that calls it an L/M? GIA? EGL? Other?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is so faint, but it definitely doesn't have the slight buttery tones I have seen in most near colorless and below OECs.
Anywho, I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I am going to post pics of both of my stones, because now, I have one too many. The one I bought today is a tranny (I think?). I need opinions! Once I get the ring back I will share pics.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Let me mention some diamonds have fluorescence, which makes them glow a certain color in the presence of ultraviolet light, UV.
Fluorescence can occur in many colors and will influence your perception of the color of the diamond, but only when under lights with UV.
Some light sources contain UV light are sunlight and a "black" light.

Perhaps the color you see, or expect to see, is being affected by the diamond's fluorescence.
When you get it put it under a black light to see if it fluoresces, and if so what color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results