shape
carat
color
clarity

Input please on this Kashmir Sapphire

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, color is gorgeous! But it looks like, it may have a big window, no??!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justin_Cutter|1322809449|3072837 said:
Somebody shoot me now!!! I need this in my life! :love: Go for it Kenny! ;))

http://www.starruby.in/store/kashmi...grade-gia-certified-unheated-kashmir-sapphire

~Justin

Justin,
Very pretty, but you can find Madagascar sapphires that look just like that, and you don't have to pay a premium for origin either. Just sayin'

Burmese sapphires are quite beautiful too, but there usually is a premium on the origin. However, Africa has produced some gorgeous sapphires that rival the best places in the world to find this gem. I don't think one should get stuck up on origin for sapphires, unless you just want to say, "I have a true Kashmir." JMO.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
megeve|1322822845|3072866 said:

Colour is King... cut is a secondary consideration and if closing a window will result in an alteration of the saturation of the colour or waste a lot of material then windowed it will be.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
TL: I agree, I have seen some Madagascar sapphires rival Kashmir color, and lets face it the price difference is substantial. However I do think someday I would like to have a true Kashmir Sapphire. That day is not today but maybe a few years down the road I could afford one. I think the rarity factor really gets to me sometimes and I can't help but want one. I also have a terrible addiction to larger stones. So while technically I could afford a Kashmir Sapphire now I can not afford one the size I would like to have so I will wait.
As always thanks for your thoughts TL.

Kenny, any updates?
~Justin

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
justin/anyone else on this thread --

any guesses as to how much this stone would cost? is starruby.in a well respected vendor?

thanks!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
I have never had the pleasure of doing business with them so I can't personally speak for there reputation. Last I checked- which was last week ha ha... That stone was selling for $70K per Carat. That is $479,500 total.

~Justin

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
There are so many intangibles involved in these purchases (gems/collectibles) that getting that particular thing, in this case a kashmir, is in and of itself a goal/objective.

Justin I think your stone looks like a great pick, and eventually I'm sure you'll add a Kashmir when the time comes that you can budget it, if that itch still exists in your life. I doubt that Kenny would want to spend nearly half a million on one Kashmir though - I believe there are a significant number of FCDs that would call out to him ahead of that Kashmir if the budget were as such.

I'm almost tempted to just ignore the whole certification vs non spiel... In fact I will ignore it since the OP is not of two minds about this.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
TristanC,

Thank you for the post.
I posted that stone up more as a jest at Kenny. I also never dreamed it was that expensive but these Kashmirs continue to surprise me. I am sure there are many FCD's that Kenny could obtain for $500,000 that he would prefer over a Kashmir Sapphire. :D

The "Kashmir Color" is definitely a big weakness of mine, but as TL pointed out there are other origins that have examples of the same color. Maybe someday I will pick up a Kashmir but that will be many years in the future when I am financially able. Until then I am happy with what I currently have.

I personally don't feel precious stones are that strong of a investment (yet I still keep buying them lol) so it would be very difficult for me to justify the $500,000 price tag even if I could afford it now. In the end I would probably rather have 25 $20,000 stones than just 1 $500,000 stone.
~Justin

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
justin,

regarding gems as an investment, i cannot make a general statement but personally, my husband bought my diamond solitaire, round brilliant, 2 ct, E color, VS1, close to ideal cut (hca .5) 12 years ago for about $20,000. today, it looks like it is worth about $40,000. while that looks like a significant gain, it is, in fact, only a 6% annual rate of return. that is much better than rates of return (interest rates) on cash over that time period and is roughly comparable to what equities have done (it's been the worst decade for equities since the great depression). BUT, i chose NOT to insure my ring (we can have that discussion another day!), saving about $20,000 over 10 years. if i had insured the ring, the gain would effectively be $0.

to be clear, i do not view my ring as an investment but thought i'd just share some real data!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
slksapphire,

Good to know. I really appreciate the hard data. Thanks!

~Justin

harshilzaveri

Rough_Rock
megeve|1322822845|3072866 said:

Megeve - the stone does not have any window. This was originally a 8.26-ct stone but we got it recut to 6.85 carats to make the proportions perfect and to remove some natural dents in the pavilion.

Regards,
Harshil Zaveri

harshilzaveri

Rough_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1323272404|3076090 said:
I have never had the pleasure of doing business with them so I can't personally speak for there reputation. Last I checked- which was last week ha ha... That stone was selling for $70K per Carat. That is $479,500 total.

~Justin

Mr. Cutter -

The price is negotiable for customs having a serious interest in the stone! :)

Regards,
Harshil

harshilzaveri

Rough_Rock
TL|1322834971|3072903 said:

http://www.starruby.in/store/kashmi...grade-gia-certified-unheated-kashmir-sapphire

~Justin

Justin,
Very pretty, but you can find Madagascar sapphires that look just like that, and you don't have to pay a premium for origin either. Just sayin'

Burmese sapphires are quite beautiful too, but there usually is a premium on the origin. However, Africa has produced some gorgeous sapphires that rival the best places in the world to find this gem. I don't think one should get stuck up on origin for sapphires, unless you just want to say, "I have a true Kashmir." JMO.

Hi TL - No doubt one can buy a Madagascar sapphire of similar quality for a fraction of the price but its not as simple as that. Collectors and super-rich who buy at auctions tend to go for the "very best" to show-off their wealth and to buy something that is not easily replaceable. This is the reason Kashmir Sapphires, Burmese rubies, etc fetch record prices at auctions while African stones tend to go unsold many times. I think the scenario is comparable to watches where people pay exponentially higher prices for Rolex even though it shows the same time as a regular watch! Also in terms of appreciation in value, I am not aware of any other gemstones that have appreciated more in value historically than Kashmir sapphires.

Regards,
Harshil

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slksapphire|1323320536|3076829 said:
justin,

regarding gems as an investment, i cannot make a general statement but personally, my husband bought my diamond solitaire, round brilliant, 2 ct, E color, VS1, close to ideal cut (hca .5) 12 years ago for about $20,000. today, it looks like it is worth about $40,000. while that looks like a significant gain, it is, in fact, only a 6% annual rate of return. that is much better than rates of return (interest rates) on cash over that time period and is roughly comparable to what equities have done (it's been the worst decade for equities since the great depression). BUT, i chose NOT to insure my ring (we can have that discussion another day!), saving about $20,000 over 10 years. if i had insured the ring, the gain would effectively be $0.

to be clear, i do not view my ring as an investment but thought i'd just share some real data!

slksapphire

Unfortunately you cannot compare a "second hand" diamond to a new one in terms of value. If you try to sell your 2ct diamond I'm afraid that you're unlikely to recoup the price your husband bought it for 12 years ago. No gemstones are investments UNLESS (a) they are super rare - i.e. not mined anymore and of fabulous quality (b) they are in short supply i.e. red or green natural diamonds. White diamonds are not an investment at all because they are in abundance. I'm glad that you don't view your ring as an investment but it sounds quite lovely and I'm sure it is a much loved diamond.

There are plenty of threads on the subject of gemstones for investment if you search the forum that you may find interesting. Of all the gemstones I own I only believe my Alexandrites and Paraiba Tourmalines (the best ones I own - not the run of the mill ones), are holding their value. Could I sell them for more than I bought them for? Possibly because they fall into the "rare" category (just) and I bought at a time when their buying price was far far far less than it is today. Of course, if there's a new find of super Alexandrites or Paraiba Tourmalines I can kiss goodbye to that margin! :bigsmile:

Hope that helps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
harshilzaveri|1323919450|3081922 said:
TL|1322834971|3072903 said:

~Justin

Justin,

Hi TL - No doubt one can buy a Madagascar sapphire of similar quality for a fraction of the price but its not as simple as that. Collectors and super-rich who buy at auctions tend to go for the "very best" to show-off their wealth and to buy something that is not easily replaceable. This is the reason Kashmir Sapphires, Burmese rubies, etc fetch record prices at auctions while African stones tend to go unsold many times. I think the scenario is comparable to watches where people pay exponentially higher prices for Rolex even though it shows the same time as a regular watch! Also in terms of appreciation in value, I am not aware of any other gemstones that have appreciated more in value historically than Kashmir sapphires.

Regards,
Harshil

I don't think its the same because Rolex is a name, and looks like a Rolex, and is created by man, not nature (although the metal and diamonds are created by nature).

I do understand that people want a Kashmir for the origin, and I do understand that certain origins carry a premium. As always, if you're paying for an origin, get excellent paperwork in the form of reputable lab reports to back that up.

Raj420

Rough_Rock
Kashmir are probably one of the rarest.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
You should go to Tuscon and look at fine Madagascar material. I heard it's just as nice as Kashmir, but one fifth the price per carat. They have a wider selection and many with reputable lab reports.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up TL. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results